Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey all,

So, a friend of a friend is selling a .270 win in a single shot break-action voere and was bragging about said rifle. I've never seen it, but I was and am a little skeptical. Surely high-pressure cartridges in a break-action rifle isn't a good idea? And rimless? I'm not convinced. Anyone willing to lend their opinion on the matter?

As always, thank you :)

Extraction/ejection could be a problem. But I'd think that is largely dependent on the individual rifle. I also think the best would be a rimmed cartridge followed by a belted shell.

No doubt there's someone here that has real world experience and not my guessing at it.

In that caliber it should be fine. I have had a Thompson/Center Encore break action in 30-06 for 16 years without a problem. It's the rifle in my picture. They're fairly popular and been made for a while in a decent number of calibers. I think they sold factory barrels in .375 H&H and .416 Rigby or Remington, though I don't see them anymore on their site. I recall reading one barrel maker for them did mention most of the belted mag and short mags were not possible due to the pressures. Mine doesn't eject, though is does extract maybe a half inch so I can pull the cartridge. I'm used to it and can pull one and drop another in fairly quickly, though not bolt action speed.

German and Austrian gunmakers have been building "kliplauf" stalking rifles since the development of the first metallic cartridge and break open action. Most are now chambered in modern calibers, both rimmed and rimless. The quality of the pre-war rifles was exceptional as are those by Krieghoff, Heym and other makers today. I would have no hesitation owning one chambered for a rimless caliber for use on deer or plains game in Africa. Should the round ever slide past the little tab one is not likely to be stomped stalking deer. The finer rifles can be quite an investment. Here is an exceptional one - note the caliber. http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n/ferlach-stalking-rifle.cfm?gun_id=100692273

Hey all,

So, a friend of a friend is selling a .270 win in a single shot break-action voere and was bragging about said rifle. I've never seen it, but I was and am a little skeptical. Surely high-pressure cartridges in a break-action rifle isn't a good idea? And rimless? I'm not convinced. Anyone willing to lend their opinion on the matter?

As always, thank you :)

I don't know anything about Voeres but I've done a LOT of shooting with break action rifles and handguns. Rimed, rimless and belted; it doesn't matter; they all extract just fine. A rebated rim might be a problem in some.

As for pressure; no problem, at least in the Thompson/Center Encores I shoot. It will take any commercially made cartridge up to 375 H&H Magnum head size so a 270 Winchester isn't even close to a problem. I've have a 375 H&H Magnum handgun barrel and a 300 Winchester Magnum barrel, among others, for my Encore and both deliver group sizes many would lust for. One handgun barrel I shoot is in 460 S&W Magnum with a SAAMI maximum pressure set at 65,000 psi. I also shoot a Blaser BBF 97 with 20 gauge over 243 Winchester; no problem there either.

Never had a problem with my Encore and rimless cartridges and I have several barrels-308win/25-06/257R/223
A 270 would have no troubles.

To echo the above posts, I wouldn't be concerned myself. I have been shooting Encores nearly 20 years and have never had a problem with extraction.

A rebated rim might be a problem in some.

I have an Encore barrel in 6mm/.284 and it works just fine.

Since the rimess case depends on its shoulder for the headspace there is really no problem. On the extractor it will all depend on the design of the extractor. That is why rimless and rebated rim cases have worked for years in break action rifles and single shot pistols.

Now for the belted cases it is a different story. They were designed to headspace on the belt but 99% of them end up headspacing on the shoulder like all the others.

Couldn't give away a double rifle that is for a rimless magnum cartridge so you have reason to find this a dubious situation. That said, .270s and other non-dangerous game cartridges aren't high pressure and IF they do jam you don't typically die from the mechanical error as there is no angry bovine or pachyderm coming after you at that moment.

Wouldn't hesitate to own a rimless single shot for plains game or US/EU hunting. The aversion to rimless cartridges is really for magnum rounds and dangerous game circumstances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg