Right scope for Ruger no.1

JordanfromEarth

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing a ruger no.1 in .375 h&h but would like a proper scope for it when needed. I like leupold scopes, I was wondering which one to have for universal use in Africa. Magnification and model, etc. I was googling this and found a thread from this site of the same topic that made me want to join. It was decided to take a,
Leupold VX-2 3-9x40mm Rifle Scope...is this a correct scope for a .375 as an all around safari scope? I'm asking just to double check. If anyone could help it would be of great appreciation.

Thank you.

I would bump it up to a VX3i 3.5x10x40. I have a older model VX3 3.5x10.40 on my .340 Weatherby that I took to Africa and didn't have any problems using it on plains game. I have used it here in the US on everything from pronghorn up to bull elk.

But my question is what do you actually plan on hunting with it? That could move your magnification down a little if you plan on going after a cape buffalo or another one of the more dangerous animals.

If you have time to wait and watch sales you might come on a good sale for a real good price. I did that last year on a VX3 4.5x14x40 that I put on a 25-06. I got it for about 1/2 of what it actually retailed for.

I really like the VX-R 3-9x40 on the 375, I carry mine on 4x and it works for 99% of shooting I've done in Africa. Turning up mainly for a head shot on a cull occasionally. The 40mm objective bell keeps you mounted low. I say 9 or 10x on the high end of magnification plenty.

JordanfromEarth, welcome to AH. Leupold makes good scopes, maybe not the best in the world but good scopes nonetheless. The scope you purchased can be used for virtually all PG hunting. If you decided to use Quick Release mounts sometime in the future you might be able to pick up a scope intended for use on DG (Dangerous Game. With two scopes your rifle is capable of hunting anything in Africa.

Actually I guess I should have stated what I'll be going for on my first trip to Africa. I'll be doing a custom package of kudu, sable, and gemsbuck. But I wanted a scope to where I'm not limited to range, close or far. When hunting DG and stalking I'm using iron sights never a scope. So should I go for the new VX3i 3.5x10x40? I'm talking I need a scope for everything besides DG. But if I decide to shoot a leopard or lion from a blind, I'd like the same scope for that situation I used for the plant eaters. I just want one scope for this .375 for the above mentioned. Let me know again to just make sure I don't order the wrong one as I've yet to pick one...thank you.

The newer series of scopes are supposedly better. Leupold is now offering the VX6. I suspect that the percentage of improvement over the older scopes is minimal and at best will give you a couple of more minutes at dawn and dusk. Personally I do not own any VX 6s yet, I'm perfectly happy with my older scopes. Most PHs want their clients to have their variable powered scopes at 4 or less while hunting. I read somewhere that scope "power" is an age related thing. Older hunters generally prefer lower powered scopes, younger shooters prefer higher powered scopes. The majority of mine are either a fixed 4 power or 2-7, I do have a number of 3-9 but nothing greater than that.

The newer series of scopes are supposedly better. Leupold is now offering the VX6. I suspect that the percentage of improvement over the older scopes is minimal and at best will give you a couple of more minutes at dawn and dusk. Personally I do not own any VX 6s yet, I'm perfectly happy with my older scopes. Most PHs want their clients to have their variable powered scopes at 4 or less while hunting. I read somewhere that scope "power" is an age related thing. Older hunters generally prefer lower powered scopes, younger shooters prefer higher powered scopes. The majority of mine are either a fixed 4 power or 2-7, I do have a number of 3-9 but nothing greater than that.
My 45/70 has a low powered fixed scout scope. I'm ok with that. My problem is I'm not all familiar with scopes too much. I just need a little more help sorry, maybe I'll just stick with the 3i 3.5x10x40 because I read a thread on this site of some guy settling with that since the 3i's do not come in 3-9. Im still
not sure due to lack of knowledge in scopes so I'll let some more chime in and give me an exact model answer. Hate to be a pain but I'm new with scopes.

If this is your first No. 1 and IF you're one who typically needs a short length of pull, be sure to get a scope with long eye relief. The scope when sitting on a No. 1 is typically a bit further from you then on a typical bolt action.

If this is your first No. 1 and IF you're one who typically needs a short length of pull, be sure to get a scope with long eye relief. The scope when sitting on a No. 1 is typically a bit further from you then on a typical bolt action.
I don't think a .375 has too bad of a kick but yes I still would like a larger eye relief than normal. Maybe I should just call leupold an ask a technical support person and tell them my scenario.

Actually I guess I should have stated what I'll be going for on my first trip to Africa. I'll be doing a custom package of kudu, sable, and gemsbuck. But I wanted a scope to where I'm not limited to range, close or far. When hunting DG and stalking I'm using iron sights never a scope. So should I go for the new VX3i 3.5x10x40? I'm talking I need a scope for everything besides DG. But if I decide to shoot a leopard or lion from a blind, I'd like the same scope for that situation I used for the plant eaters. I just want one scope for this .375 for the above mentioned. Let me know again to just make sure I don't order the wrong one as I've yet to pick one...thank you.
That scope will be fine for a PG hunt. Its optics are only Ok, but it is a very dependable sight which is what you want on a rifle with a bit of recoil. That scope will show its limitations in low-light conditions - i.e. the potential eventual leopard hunt. Should you actually plan a DG "stalking" hunt, then I would urge you to rethink that "never a scope" vow. You will limit your opportunities significantly - particularly with a .375. And remember, on a DG hunt, the greatest contribution you can make to everyone's well being is to place that first shot exactly where it needs to be. For most of us, that is best done with a scoped rifle - particularly on our first DG hunt. But as to your original question, you will have a fine PG rig. And though I have heard complaints with regard to eye-relief on a Number 1, it has never been an issue for me on one of mine. And a hearty welcome to our community.

That scope will be fine for a PG hunt. Its optics are only Ok, but it is a very dependable sight which is what you want on a rifle with a bit of recoil. That scope will show its limitations in low-light conditions - i.e. the potential eventual leopard hunt. Should you actually plan a DG "stalking" hunt, then I would urge you to rethink that "never a scope" vow. You will limit your opportunities significantly - particularly with a .375. And remember, on a DG hunt, the greatest contribution you can make to everyone's well being is to place that first shot exactly where it needs to be. For most of us, that is best done with a scoped rifle - particularly on our first DG hunt. But as to your original question, you will have a fine PG rig. And though I have heard complaints with regard to eye-relief on a Number 1, it has never been an issue for me on one of mine. And a hearty welcome to our community.
Ok great, I'll get that 3i...I only plan to hunt PG with this no.1, I just chose this in .375 just in case I'm in the kalahari for example hunting kudu and a lion comes across me. This way with a .375 I have something more to stop it if it persist. Thanks again.

Put a Leupold VX 3 on my 375 H & H but I considered the VX 6 as well.

I don't think a .375 has too bad of a kick but yes I still would like a larger eye relief than normal. Maybe I should just call leupold an ask a technical support person and tell them my scenario.

It's not the recoil that concerns me. It's being able to shoulder the rifle properly and see thru the scope without having to creep up on it putting the butt outside of your shoulder pocket. When you do that, the recoil will be more into your shoulder and then it will hurt.

I just put a Leupold VX-3i in 2.5-8X by 36mm on a #1 in 30-06. Personally I suggest that over the 3-9 or 3.5-10 with (I believe) 40mm. Less mag on the low side for close shots on a .375 is a plus, while 8X is plenty for the far side of things. The 36mm objective still collects good light and the whole package is light enough to balance well. I have no complaints on eye relief either.

If you get a scope in the 1.5x5 or 2x7 or 2.5x8, you'll be set for PG or DG. For DG, you want a low magnification for good field of view at close range. A high end magnification of 7 or 8 is plenty for any shot out to 200-250 yards.

A scope I've been considering as of late is the Leupold VX-R 2x7x33 with an illuminated reticle for about $500.
http://shop.opticsplanet.com/leupol...B5-IXFIdb8F7FXvYgAdLR4EfcSl6-I_IMGxoCjnrw_wcB

Screenshot (50).png

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Ryan's opinion. I too recommend the Leupold VX-3i in 2.5-8x 36 mm. I own two older versions of this scope. I've never needed more than 8x when hunting, including out to 300 yards. The 2.5-8x is lighter and more compact than the 3.5-10x, and like all Leupold scopes has great eye relief. Since they are lighter than most scopes, they are more resistant to the effects of recoil.

I'm not familiar with the newer VX-6 scopes. Are there any differences or improvements on the VX3, or is it just the 6x zoom that's different?

i am a Leupold fan as well , I would suggest 1 of the 2 following scopes :
VX3 2.5-8x36
VX3 3-10x40

May I ask, What distances do you think you will be hunting at?

This is a more important question than it seems. I've had more problems with scopes on higher powers than I have had on scopes with lower powers. Even 3x is too much in some cases.

Just a couple notes: my Kudu was shot at 287 yards...with the scope on 2.5x. I forgot to dial it up...

My Blesbok was shot at 35 yards...with my scope on 10x. That one sucked...all I could see was a shoulder. In detail. Gawd...can't move and the critters are moving in...and now I can't figure out who is who?

On another hunt I had a fixed 6x scope...and the shots were at 40 yards. That was brutal. My miss count was epic.

My point is: it's far easier to "think" that more power is better. My experience, to 300 yards, has been that lower power is actually of greater net benefit than higher power. Sure, higher power is better at the range but...well, we don't hunt at the range.

Anyway, my .375 H&H wears a VX6 1-6 and my 9.3x74r wears an older VX? 1-5. I'm perfectly happy with those setups to 300 yards.

IF I had to pick one, all around, do everything scope, I'd start and stop with the VX3 2.5-8x36. I have three now and it really is such a wonderfully perfect all-arounder. The 3.5-10x is a great scope and one I'd choose for a goat or sheep hunt...but really, 10x just isn't needed and the 2.5x is of greater value than the 3.5x bottom end.

Oh, forgot to mention: the Rugers are oddly forward mounted on a scope. Unless you have a really long neck, most scopes are seemingly pushed too far forward (even when they are in the rearmost mounting). 3/4" too far forward as it were. They make rearset rings for them if you need them. I had a wonderful #1 and could just never quite get used to the scope mounting point. Eye relief was a real issue for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross