Rigby - Highland Stalker now in .300 Win Mag

NWT

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zim, MT, CO, NM, WY, UT, SD, ND, MO, AR, TX, AZ, WI, KS,IL, IA, BC, Yukon, NWT
The popular Rigby Highland Stalker is now being offered in .300 Win Mag..
What’s the deal with the huge price increase for the new .300 Win Mag ($19,995.00 U.S.D.)
over the .275 Rigby and 9.3X62 at ($10,995.00) that’s like a 50% price hike. Is this a misprint?
The regular line Highland Stalkers (.275, 30.06 etc.) have offered a pretty good value for a production , semi custom
modern Mauser rifle . I almost bought one to match the Mauser Magnum that I have but went with a true custom build. The price of the .300 Win. Mag Highland Stalker now gets into the price of a true custom rifle by one of the top US master builders. Not sure what Rigby’s future plans are with the pretty popular Highland Stalker.

One of you gun making guru's need to comment on this. The base Big Game price is still $15995.

Well here it is,
rigby 300.jpg
hot off the press.

I think it has to use a different action.

Would not the .300 Holland & Holland Magnum be a more fitting choice ? Especially since it is an English calibre ?
The 300 H&H definitely would require a longer action.

Lol when are they gonna come out with one in 6.5 Creedmore? :A Stirring:
I posted pics of mine on a Rigby Facebook page and some guy wanted to know if it was available in 280 AI.

I think it's odd enough that they offer it in 308 Win.

I posted pics of mine on a Rigby Facebook page and some guy wanted to know if it was available in 280 AI.

I think it's odd enough that they offer it in 308 Win.
I also thought 308 was a strange choice! I mean it's a great caliber, but not what you'd expect to see in an HS.

If it does indeed require a new larger action surely it would make more sense to start a new model? Let the Highland Stalker be what it is. Give it an African name, like the Eland or something.

If it does indeed require a new larger action surely it would make more sense to start a new model? Let the Highland Stalker be what it is. Give it an African name, like the Eland or something.

Good point. The price seems odd as the big game action would be more than sufficient to the task, and yet the .300 HS is priced higher than the Big Game?

The 300 H&H definitely would require a longer action.
375H&H have been chambered forever (well, almost forever) in standard length 98s by opened the action a little at the front and thinning out the rear of the mag box. 300 H&H should be no harder to make work.

30-06 at 2.500 and 300 Win at 2.62 in same action in many American bolts. The Professor is right, if they chose to use a long action ( for 2.85 inch rounds ) why not go with the 300 H&H? Anyway, $20K is a lot. Buy a Steyr instead, and go on Safari, still have change...............FWB

Probably as I think a popular calibre in uk
That is very true. I know a few guys with .308 rifles but I'm the only person I know who has a 30-06 and .300WinMag.

That is very true. I know a few guys with .308 rifles but I'm the only person I know who has a 30-06 and .300WinMag.
You are not alone, just saying.

They obviously bought one out in 300 win mag to appeal to those in the US which is most likely their biggest market for the rifles.

Probably didnt do in 300 H&H because they are Rigby and didnt want to push the Holland & Holland, which i too btw thought made better sense and wouldve appealed to me to consider one.

price aside, the 300 win is a good chambering.
as is the 280ai or rem.
there seems to be a school of thought that you are not on a safari or doing certain kinds of hunting unless you use some obsolete cartridge.
nothing is further from the truth.
the brits were trying to develop improvements until they went down the gurgler.
in those times they were limited by bullet designs that would not handle velocity well in the 280 ross.
the only way to have reliable bullets then was to drive heavy bullets slowly.
with modern bullets the 280 ross would be de rigeur with some, but the 7mm rem mag is just a better cartridge in so many ways, and also better than the 7x57.
the 30/06 is a superb cartridge within its capability and far more useful than the 7x57.
the rigby rifles look good, although you seem to pay a lot for the name.
putting better cartridges in them just makes them better rifles, and possibly more all round useful for the dollar spent.
for those who want to pretend they are lord fontleroy on safari, and can afford the money just to play such games, by all means use obsolete calibres for the image.
for those more serious about the reality of hunting use the cartridge that does the job better.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois