Rigby Highland Stalker 9.3X62

I'm sure you will like the 9.3.
The greatest criticism I have of the Rigby Highland Stalker is the use of one barrel profile for the range of chamberings.
The 9.3, being the largest bore offered, makes for a better package than a 275 with the same profile.
This all so the inletting of the stocks is the same regardless of chambering. The sight fitment and barrel band too.
I'm basing this on what I've seen - would like to be proven wrong as I see it as a cost cutting effort which should not exist on a $10K plus rifle.

Congrats on a great rifle.

Since you are a Rigby fanboy @Aussie_Hunter, I would like to ask you and other Rigby aficionado a couple questions.

Are the newer London Rigby the same quality as the original London Rigby? If you had a choice between the older vs newer Rigby, which one would you choose?

Since you are a Rigby fanboy @Aussie_Hunter, I would like to ask you and other Rigby aficionado a couple questions.

Are the newer London Rigby the same quality as the original London Rigby? If you had a choice between the older vs newer Rigby, which one would you choose?
I never owned an older Rigby so nothing to compare to. The new one is a fine rifle. I'm casually watching for the right older gun to present itself for sale;)

Well I will have the quick detach scope mounts so playing around with the iron sights from time to time will be easy enough, will definitely let you know how the irons go but on my 450 the irons are perfect for me, I haven't touched them.
Absolutely, the irons on the Rigby BG is the best in existence.
Some of the cheaper Italian double rifles are regulated by using lazer, not by shooting and adjusting. I suspect the Rigby HS also is regulated by some highly competent gunsmith shooting and adjusting. Thats quality with a big "Q"! One of my favourite rifles is an old Tikka Hirvester, (Awful PF I know:)) but the irons on this one is exceptional. Most expensive rifle in the Tikka catalogue back in the day for a good reason. The irons were "hand regulated". I can hit a nail at 55 yds with that one using the open sights. I`ve even shot clay pigeons at the skeet range with that rifle, unofficially of course;P

I've never owned an older Rigby but from all the reading and research I have done, there is nothing to suggest that the new or the old is better than the other. For me a Rigby is a Rigby and all though a Vintage Rigby would be nice to acquire one day, my brand new Rigby will also be considered vintage one day.

I'm sure you will like the 9.3.
The greatest criticism I have of the Rigby Highland Stalker is the use of one barrel profile for the range of chamberings.
The 9.3, being the largest bore offered, makes for a better package than a 275 with the same profile.
This all so the inletting of the stocks is the same regardless of chambering. The sight fitment and barrel band too.
I'm basing this on what I've seen - would like to be proven wrong as I see it as a cost cutting effort which should not exist on a $10K plus rifle.
Do you think it would be worth having several different barrel profiles for the Highland Stalker though? Considering there is chamberings of 308, 30-06 which are the same calibre bullet and then 8X57 which is less than a mm bigger in diameter. 275 and 9.3 is a bit of a difference, could be worth a different barrel profile, the 300 win mag version all though the same diameter bullet as the 308 and 30-06 has a different profile and length barrel, having said that it is a significant step up in price as well.

Do you think it would be worth having several different barrel profiles for the Highland Stalker though? Considering there is chamberings of 308, 30-06 which are the same calibre bullet and then 8X57 which is less than a mm bigger in diameter. 275 and 9.3 is a bit of a difference, could be worth a different barrel profile, the 300 win mag version all though the same diameter bullet as the 308 and 30-06 has a different profile and length barrel, having said that it is a significant step up in price as well.
Definitely worth having one in 275 Rigby and another in 9.3. I really like the 9.3 as is. I've never shot one in a 275 so not sure how balanced it is. The reports sound good.

Reactions: WAB
I guess I'm just a bit old school regarding high end bolt guns.
Mauser had different barrel profiles as well as differing bottom metal and magazine dimensions for different classes and design/dimensions of cartridges.
I guess that is one reason why the Oberndorf Mausers are held in such high regard by those who know.

I never owned an older Rigby so nothing to compare to. The new one is a fine rifle. I'm casually watching for the right older gun to present itself for sale;)
I have a 1956 which is todays Highland Stalker and it is a treasure

I guess I'm just a bit old school regarding high end bolt guns.
Mauser had different barrel profiles as well as differing bottom metal and magazine dimensions for different classes and design/dimensions of cartridges.
I guess that is one reason why the Oberndorf Mausers are held in such high regard by those who know.
Yeah I get what you are saying and definitely don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying. For example I think Heym do a different size magazine well and barrel profile for each calibre in their Express rifle, which is pretty impressive. But like I said for me in the Highland Stalker maybe a different barrel profile between the 275 and 9.3 otherwise I don't feel a different barrel profile across the other very similar calibres would be worth considering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IQBLayla84

Latest profile posts

Houston Bill wrote on Sketchy1973's profile.
Hello,

I am considering selling my Rizzini 470 NE double, if you have interest we should discuss.

Bill
btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video