Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

WAB, Thank you for the reply. I had tried Swift Scirocco bullets back in 2014 when I went on my first Safari and could not get them to shoot out of my rifles. I have had a lot of success with the Barnes on everything from small Deer to extremely large animals and I have been able to get them to group really good in different rifles, so I guess I'm a little bias. I have not tried the Swift recently, maybe they have improved them. I have to say, they do have a good reputation.

I use swift A-Frames in mine. They are outstanding.

I am fond of the published data of 46 Grains H4350 with a 156 Grain Norma Oryx.

WAB, What grain bullet, powder and primer do you use?

I have loads for 160 and 175 gr A-Frames. Norma cases, WLR primers and IMR-4064 powder. These loads shoot 1/2” 3 shot groups at 100 yards out of both my Winchester M-70’s and my Ruger No 1.

My heart says go with with .275! But since your intended use is regularly in America for elk and deer, that may mean you need to lean to the 30-06.

Then again, its a true Rigby, so the .275 is calling!!
What he said!!!

I would go with either a .275 or a 9.3x62 in the highland stalker. Either caliber would do everything you want. Given that you have AHR CZ’s in 7x57 and .30-06, why not venture out a bit and go with the 9.3? I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Bloody genius, I wa a pretty much thinking this word for word.

Thank you WAB and roverandbrew for the info. I'm fortunate I have the primers, powder and cases. I just tried ordering the Oryx and the 160 A-Frames. All on backorder. Will let you know how they shoot if I ever get them.
@Big Rick
Welcome to the frustration of loading nowdays

I didn't read all the posts but to the original question...I just couldn't order a real Rigby in 30-06 over the 275 (7x57). Either one will easily cover your deer and plains game species of course...but a Rigby in 275 is classic! If you want a classic 30-06 then search for a Griffin & Howe or something similar.

Thank you WAB and roverandbrew for the info. I'm fortunate I have the primers, powder and cases. I just tried ordering the Oryx and the 160 A-Frames. All on backorder. Will let you know how they shoot if I ever get them.
I just got my Oryx 170 grain from Optic Planet. They are back in stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg