Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

@Red Leg
If you want rare how bout an original Lee Speed with an octagonal barrel marked Rigby in 303 British and lightly engraved on top with a 3 leaf express sight. Buffalo horn forend and grip cap and exquisite walnut.
It was way above my pay grade
Bob
The specific issue was the specific "Highland Stalker" model. It isn't made in .300 H&H. I was exercising my tongue in my cheek a bit. :giggle: As a "London Best," Rigby will build almost anything that will fit in a Mauser action - for a price.

Would love to see that Lee Speed. Mine was marketed by Westley Richards. They are indeed very cool elegant things.

Any advice on the best place to purchase? On guns international I see Gordy and Sons in Texas carries them. I would look for standard / grade 5 wood.

Any advice on the best place to purchase? On guns international I see Gordy and Sons in Texas carries them. I would look for standard / grade 5 wood.
The standard grade is very nice. That is what mine is that I posted earlier in this thread.

Contact Gary Duffy, he handles their US biz. PM if u need his email.

i wonder what chambering bob nelson would choose?
bruce.
@ bruce moulds
Mate I would stick with the tried and true 7x57/275 Rigby.
But if money wasn't a problem it would have to be a classic in 350 Rigby.
Bob

What if any real difference is there between the Highland Stalker and the Mauser M98 Expert rifle offering? They appear to be almost identical including the price.

@WAB
If'n my wife claimed 2 of my rifles I'd be extremely happy and share them with her gladly or buy another for myself.
Far better than having a wife that doesn't like guns or hunting.
Bob

I totally agree Bob. She’s my best friend and my hunting partner. She can claim any rifle she likes.

I am looking to purchase a rifle as a retirement gift to myself and have settled on a Rigby Highland Stalker. I have been looking at Rigby rifles since I was a child and now have the opportunity to purchase one. I am trying to decide between the 275 Rigby and the 30-06.

Background:
I currently own both of those calibers in CZ 550s with AHR # 2 upgrades so I am not looking to fill a gap. The rifle would get most use in the US as a whitetail and elk rifle with Africa every other year or so. I do reload so not super concerned with the availability of 7x57 / 275 factory ammunition.

I am torn between the .275 been the classic Rigby caliber against the versatility and practicality of the 30-06. Any thoughts from the group?

If you have the opportunity to buy a Rigby in a Rigby caliber go for the 275.

My 2c

Speer's new data suggests you can push a 175grn pill at over 2600fps from the 275. I wouldn't hesitate to take even a moose with that combo. Plenty of penetration for the task.

At 100 meters, my .275 Highland Stalker handles the 170 gr Oryx at least adequately I think. :cool:

New Rigby and 170 gr Oryx

New Rigby .275

Nice shooting, Beautiful rifle. What is the knife? can you post a Picture please.

if i were buying that rifle for that price, i would have the best of both chamberings and a bit more.
i would have pacific tool send rigby a saami min spec 280 rem reamer, and specify a 1:9 twist.
bruce.

Bruce, You sound like that other mad one eyed Aussie

@Red Leg
The 9.3x62 in a obendorph Mauser yes but a Rigby in the same just ain't right. A bit like putting a Ford motor in a Chevy it just ain't the done thing
An 06 belongs in a Springfield not a Rigby as well.
The 375 screams Holland and Holland not savage, Remington or Winchester.
Call me strange but that's how I see it.

Bob strange? any takers?

I certainly respect your opinion Bob, but don’t forget that the Rigby is a Mauser just as the originals were. The highland stalker has as many Mauser stampings as Rigby. It is a beautifully balanced rifle with plenty of punch and very mild recoil. I wouldn’t part with mine (my wife’s actually as you great friends seem glad to remind me).

On that note, she has claimed the Rigby and my custom M70 in 7x57. If this keeps up I’ll be hunting with a slingshot!

If the cartridges are essentially the same she does not need both!, Maybe sneak the preferred one back into your safe.

I'd buy the 275. Then I would put in a glass case. Be hard for me to crawl through a barb wire fence with that rifle.

My sentiment all along but they sure are pretty.

i wonder what chambering bob nelson would choose?
bruce.

Bruce, you seemed quite sensible when we met then you ask a silly question.

@ bruce moulds
Mate I would stick with the tried and true 7x57/275 Rigby.
But if money wasn't a problem it would have to be a classic in 350 Rigby.
Bob

Bob, You almost threw me there but you still put in a plug for a .35,

Nice shooting, Beautiful rifle. What is the knife? can you post a Picture please.

Bob strange? any takers?

If the cartridges are essentially the same she does not need both!, Maybe sneak the preferred one back into your safe.

It is @Von Gruff ’s JT Ranger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.49 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.50 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.51 AM.png
    756.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.52 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.48.54 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 146
I beleive, that this link was already quoted somewhere on the forum.
But it does not hurt to repeat. Elegant rifle, indeed.
Lol. I don't believe I had ever posted that here. Biggest squabble that I have yet had with an "editor." (Probably Marc's secretary). If she had won, it would have read like one of those articles in "Field Sports" with the occasional "whilst, anon, or beast" enlivening the narrative. And all over a blog post. :A Argue:

Hmm. As I think about it, Marc has not asked me to provide a second ............... :E Shrug:

But the Stalker really may be indeed the perfect deer rifle.

Last edited:

Bob strange? any takers?

OOPS!!! No it isn't. That is a Muela that I purchased in Toledo, Spain some years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg