Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

I recommend putting a German cartridge in a German rifle but if your heart is set on a Rigby you might as well get a 275.

275. with that said, if I had the $$ for one I am afraid it would be 300 H&H
That would indeed be a unique and rare Highland Stalker.

The 275 firing 160-175gr bullets punches way above its class. But I’m biased.
I already own one.

I don't understand why because its name the 275 Rigby must go to a Rigby (Mauser) rifle and a 30-06, because the same reason, to a G&H or Springfield...
Since almost their origins, the Sporting Mausers were chambered for the 30-06 and, since around 1924, also the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. The same with the 9,3x62. Of course, also the 7x57/.275 Rigby (Rigby, at WDM Bell and Jim Corbett times, named their rifles 7mm Mauser, not .275 Rigby...). By the way, the 7x57 was chambered, also from the early XX Century, in all the made in USA rifles!
So, as I see, any of these three cartridges matches a Rigby rifle perfectly!
And as a user of all, I would be happy with any of them. My choice would be dictacted mainly by the hunts proyected.

Best!

CF

I don't understand why because its name the 275 Rigby must go to a Rigby (Mauser) rifle and a 30-06, because the same reason, to a G&H or Springfield...
Since almost their origins, the Sporting Mausers were chambered for the 30-06 and, since around 1924, also the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. The same with the 9,3x62. Of course, also the 7x57/.275 Rigby (Rigby, at WDM Bell and Jim Corbett times, named their rifles 7mm Mauser, not .275 Rigby...). By the way, the 7x57 was chambered, also from the early XX Century, in all the made in USA rifles!
And as a user of all, I would be happy with any of them. My choice would be dictacted mainly by the hunts proyected.

Best!

CF

There you go making sense!

I'll swim against the 275 tide and say 30.06.

IF the 275 is regarded as being the longest running and "most classic" the 06 must surely be No. 2.

I see no problem with the 06, which is a world cartridge, if ever there was one, being chambered in a Rigby, or the very similar current Mauser 98. More versatility, availability, and horsepower. Only downside is a little more recoil, but those Rigbys are heavy suckers, and should soak it up well.

A minor niggle for me with the 275/7x57 in a current M98 is the unused mag length, but that has nothing to do with the classic or not debate.

Anything like 7RM or 300Win, would of course be defilement.

I took my stag with a 275, but undortunately not a Rigby. When I booked the stalk I requested to use a Highland Stalker, at extra cost obviously, but it was not to be. Instead a synthetic stocked what-and-what, read who cares. No man, it has to be proper, 275!

Come come....that is stamped on a m98 barrel...not a rigby...and there is a very nice such m98 in the gun shop here....

Original 7x57mm where designed to use 173gr bullets and the 275 Rigby the 140gr bullet.....if the current barrel twist will stabilize the heavier bullet I guess the name makes no difference.....except the 7x57mm came long before the 275 Rigby....it is originally German not British...

Make mine a 7x57mm

Best!

CF
He already has a 30-06....so dont really see what point you are making...he is buying a nice present to himself so the classic combination would be something to enjoy and use...if he needs to he can use his 30-06 whenever....but the 275 will do most things it can..

Original 7x57mm where designed to use 173gr bullets and the 275 Rigby the 140gr bullet.....if the current barrel twist will stabilize the heavier bullet I guess the name makes no difference.....except the 7x57mm came long before the 275 Rigby....it is originally German not British...

Make mine a 7x57mm

I know where it came from...
And the140 grain was used as the deer stalking round in uk ...but plenty were used with the heavier 173 grain ...I had one which was presumably sighted for the heavier bullet as the 140 shot high when I tried it out..as I said a m98 in 7x57 would be very nice....but a Rigby its 275.... :A Thumbs Up: :D Beers:

Hello spike.t,

My point is, nothing more or less, my opinion and answer to roverandbrew question.
I say again, as he already has both the 7 mm Mauser and the .30-06, my choice would be the 9,3x62. Exiting and useful in a Rigby Highland Stalking to me!

Best!

CAF

Hello spike.t,

My point is, nothing more or less, my opinion and answer to roverandbrew question.
I say again, as he already has both the 7 mm Mauser and the .30-06, my choice would be the 9,3x62. Exiting and useful in a Rigby Highland Stalking to me!

Best!

CAF

As I said if I got another 9.3x62 it would be a mauser m98...go together ...with the rigby its 275....

Make mine a 7x57mm
At 100 meters, my .275 Highland Stalker handles the 170 gr Oryx at least adequately I think. :cool:

New Rigby and 170 gr Oryx

New Rigby .275

Hello,

The only diffrence between the .275 Rigbys, the normal for the 173 bullet at around 2300 f/s, and the High Velocity for the 140 grs bullet at around 2800f/s was the regulación of the sights.
Rigby imported the Mauser actions already barreled from the Mauser factory. Mauser produced the 7x57 barrels, from the start to the end, with ONLY one rifling twist: 1 turn in 222,5 mm. Rifling twist enough to stabilize all the (then and now) current weights/lengths of 7 mm bullets.
I don't know wich rifling twist do use Rigby today.

Best!

CF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg