Rigby Best Rising Bite Ejector Double Rifle 470 Nitro Express Sidelock For Sale

While it is hard to make a declarative statement without seeing it in person, it looks like a very good barrel job and I think I see the tig welding work that shows how it was done. What it looks like to me is the original barrels were used to create the new barrel set. Specifically, the breech was turned into a monobloc, chopping off the old barrels and then tig welded to the new tubes. Relaying the top rib from the original would be a likely conclusion which again is a pretty good idea. I think I see the barrel tubes sleeved through the monobloc and then dressed down at the breech face. (hence the minor dings to the breech where the original 1909 barrels are still used but the chambers are new, connected to the entirety of the barrels) If I was to pay to have barrels redone I would prescribe the work to be done exactly as it appears this work was done.

It all looks like it was done by a very skilled gunsmith, not some shadetree schlock. Lack of proof marks in my opinion points to an American or Canadian expert that was not required to prove the gun to any legal requirement whereas if Austrian it would be illegal not to reproof the gun in Ferlach.

Have you reached out to Rigby to find out the provenance of the gun, the original LOP, and the original caliber? It would strengthen its value if it was always a 470NE and if the original LOP was shorter than the current LOP indicating original stock with steel butt was lengthened by the beautiful pigskin covered pad.
Rookhawk,
I truly appreciate your perspective, thank you.

In your opinion have I mischaracterized the rifle as having been rebarreled or should I have said sleeved ?
Below is the Factory letter, showing original 470 build but with a 14 5/8" LOP now shortened to 13 3/4". Maybe when the work was done, new leather pad added ?
thumbnail.jpg

From european perspective, gunsmith builds new barrels, and takes the gun to Ferlach, Austria. . Cip proof costs less then 50 eur there.
If the owner brings that rifle to ferlach, can be prooved, same way. If that is important at all, for american ownership of rifle

In europe all barrels must have cip, but nobody says that new barrel must be from same factory as rifle action. Plenty of match rifles get lothar walther barrels for example.

Westley richards probably will not bother changing rigby rifle barrels, for trade mark and brand issues. That would be my guess.

This is lovely rifle, btw. I would enjoy it in full, even without cip (in america, where cip is not requirement).

Rookhawk,
I truly appreciate your perspective, thank you.

In your opinion have I mischaracterized the rifle as having been rebarreled or should I have said sleeved ?
Below is the Factory letter, showing original 470 build but with a 14 5/8" LOP now shortened to 13 3/4". Maybe when the work was done, new leather pad added ?
View attachment 484087

@doubleboy I'm familiar with your rifle and it is beautiful, I've admired it previously. I do not believe you've mischaracterized the barrels by how the work was done whatsoever. A very heavy cloud on the gun was lifted by the build sheet you have posted and it would have been one of the key things I would lead with in a discussion of the gun. Glad you have it posted now. The suspicious minded would have cut the value of your rifle to a fraction of the price believing that the gun was a 350 No. 2 originally and since that caliber is worth less, has less utility, and brass was unavailable from 1970-1990, it would be assumed somebody got the idea to convert it by making it into a 470NE. Not the case. The build sheet proves that it was and is a 470NE. Glad you have it. No issues with the barrel work that was done, an auction house would simply say "new barrels" in the description rather than splitting hairs as to whether the monobloc and rib are also original. (I believe with certainty that the monobloc is original)

Not enough detailed photographs to confirm with 100%, but I strongly suspect that the stock and forend are very well done replacements that were done at the time of the other work in America that re-did the barrels sometime in the 1980s. (Conjecture on date) At that time, the gun went from 10lbs 15oz with 28" barrels and a 14-5/8" LOP to a S.W. Silvers No. 3 recoil pad of 1" to a 10lb 16oz gun with 25" barrels and a 13-3/4" LOP with a pigskin pad.

It wouldn't be impossible to deduce who did all this work. The syndicate of skilled workers that did the work in America is a short list and someone more skilled than myself would detect the work of Merrington, Hagn, Trevallion, or others in the barrel technique, the stocking, or the English leather wrapped pad. Nobody did anything to this gun in an attempt to deceive in my opinion if it was all done in America. (I strongly think it was)

The Bissell Rising Bite action is not too common. Difficult to fit, apparently. According to the J. Rigby website..."After a break of more than 80 years, John Rigby & Co. has resumed building the iconic Rising Bite Double Rifle. So called because of its unique vertical-bolt locking system, the Rigby Rising Bite was and continues to be one of the most famous double rifles ever to have been made."

The barrel flats have no markings. If the original barrels were cut to make the monobloc, why are there no markings? Puzzling.

I believe, but am not certain, that UK made guns that are sold for export only need not be proofed. OTH, no legitimate gunmaker in the UK would make counterfeit markings on the rib of a new set of barrels. I have a Harkom 16 bore SxS that was rebarreled by Fred Buller of Hellis, Beasley and Watson and the rib is marked with the address of the firm that did the work. This is the usual practice.

Never the less, this is a very fine rifle.

I learn something every time I log in here. Very interesting to read, nice photographs, and a beautiful rifle! I really enjoyed this post! Good luck with the sale of your beautiful rifle!

Gentlemen,
I received a couple of PMs questioning the 13 3/4" LOP and thought, what the heck ? I'm 6" and the rifle fits great......
Well, being the not overly intelligent guy that I am, I was measuring from the REAR TRIGGER. The correct & original LOP is 14 5/8"

Sorry for any confusion,
Rob

Gentlemen,
I received a couple of PMs questioning the 13 3/4" LOP and thought, what the heck ? I'm 6" and the rifle fits great......
Well, being the not overly intelligent guy that I am, I was measuring from the REAR TRIGGER. The correct & original LOP is 14 5/8"

Sorry for any confusion,
Rob

Well that added $5000+ to what it WAS worth.

Gentlemen,

Sorry for any confusion,
Rob

You’re 6”? I’m not sure that’s the measurement that’s relevant!

The barrels were made in the United States, where there are no proof requirements. Perhaps by the same place which sources double rifle barrels for Butch Searcy?

The barrels were made in the United States, where there are no proof requirements. Perhaps by the same place which sources double rifle barrels for Butch Searcy?
H H,
I think you are correct on them being US made barrels, based on the responses to my original post…
What I can say, the rifle shoots great. It has digested a good number of rounds, very accurate, ejects perfectly and took a magnificent buff in Moz, 2015.

Best,
Rob

Rigby Best Rising Bite Ejector Double Rifle 470 Nitro Express Sidelock

John Rigby & Co, 43 Sackville St., London, Best Rising Bite Sidelock Ejector Double Rifle in 470 Nitro Express. Factory letter confirming 1909 original 470 build. 25" unproofed rebarrel, flip up ivory front sight, 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, full length rib. London proofed action, bushed strikers, grip cap, classic Rigby scroll engraving, non-automatic safety, sling swivels, English walnut,, splinter forend, leather covered pad.
10lbs 14oz, 13 3/4" LOP 2 3/4" DAH
This rifle shoots exceptional, ejectors timed perfectly. Very accurate with Hornady/Federal factory ammo. Can provide current video of a pair of left/rights at the range & target, no issues.
This is a great opportunity to own a rebarrelled, original 470 Rigby that handles and balances perfectly and shoots lights out at a great price.
Happy to text additional photos.
$37,000.00

Rob

LISTED ELSEWHERE
View attachment 483976
View attachment 483977
Gentlemen,
The rifle is spoken for.
Thanks for looking.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg