Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
on the minibus coming back from the days boar shooting in hungary about 7 or 8 years ago paul roberts said to me, as i liked the 9.3mm`s he just happened to have an old barreled action that i think was originally chambered for the rimmed 400/350 round that he had rechambered for 9.3x74r, and how about building a rifle for me. i have a 9.3x62 bolt action and my jeffery 9.3x74r double so i had to think of a reason for this new addition. i liked the idea as mauser only made a few actions for rigbys in the old days specifically for rimmed bullets, so i thought this will be perfect for finn when he is older, as he was only about 5 or so at this time, and it gave me the excuse i needed!! when it was finished i only put about 3 rounds through it and took it back to paul who kept it hidden from me. this christmas my wife and i were thinking what we could get finn for his main present and couldnt think of anything. it was getting a bit close to christmas when i remembered the rifle and confessed to kate about having it built for finn years before, and that i thought now was the perfect time to give it to him and she agreed. sorry the photos arent too great :eek:

IMG00251-20121229-2035.jpg
IMG00260-20121229-2038.jpg
IMG00252-20121229-2036.jpg
IMG00258-20121229-2038.jpg
IMG00261-20121229-2039.jpg
IMG00265-20121230-1551.jpg
IMG00266-20121230-1551.jpg
IMG00269-20121230-1554.jpg
IMG00270-20121230-1555.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas to Finn. He should get a lot more years out of this rifle than the SOG throwing knives. Great job SpikeT, best to the family.

Merry Christmas to Finn. He should get a lot more years out of this rifle than the SOG throwing knives. Great job SpikeT, best to the family.

same to you , was just showing finn the photos and he saw your post and is having a laugh .:beer: he just told me to tell you he also got 2 cold steel samburu spears, oh what it is to be a PC parent ha ha !!!!

Great story and great gift. I'm sure he was ecstatic.

Great rifle Spike Finn should enjoy it for years to come. Spike you do know your taxidermy bill is going to get much higher now.;)

same to you , was just showing finn the photos and he saw your post and is having a laugh .:beer: he just told me to tell you he also got 2 cold steel samburu spears, oh what it is to be a PC parent ha ha !!!!

Samburu spear huh???? Talk about a rite of passage..... Good luck to Finn, edged weapons are great.

Great rifle Spike Finn should enjoy it for years to come. Spike you do know your taxidermy bill is going to get much higher now.;)

i have a plan for that . i leave his stuff in zambia. picked his waterbuck shoulder mount and backskin rug, with his sable and kafue lechwe european mounts up when i was back in oct. it cost $1300.00 usd , and no shipping ;)

Very nice rifle Spike, congrats to both of you.

What a awesome gift! I remember the first really nice rifle my parents gave me. It was a H&K 300...still have it!

Congrats!

Ed

Beautiful gun, I hope Finn enjoys it!

finn has asked me to say thanks to everyone, and he says its definitely the no1 present. :whoo: just hoping its not raining on sat like last week when the range is open ......

Video with Finn shooting his new rifle, then for desert Finn chucking the spears. Grey Goose night, too cold to pour concrete tomorrow. :p PC parenting, you are number one brother. :beer:

Great idea, Spikes. Beautiful rifle..my first rifle was a Musgrave .22 LR, which I still cherish.

Great idea, Spikes. Beautiful rifle..my first rifle was a Musgrave .22 LR, which I still cherish.

he is slowly working his way up the ladder. his first was a ruger 10/22, then a ruger .22 hornet, then his jefferys .223 which is in his trophy photos of him in my photos. hopefully this little collection will keep him sorted for a while!!

One question Spike, does the lad work that close bolt handle ok ? I had to have mine bent a little away from the stock..still looks great but easier to work in a hurry.

One question Spike, does the lad work that close bolt handle ok ? I had to have mine bent a little away from the stock..still looks great but easier to work in a hurry.

not sure docman. he has only had a mess about with it at home, so i will get him to give it a workout this evening after he has finished his holiday school work, which has been put off,and off ,and off, but he is back next tues so has realised it maybe time to get it done!!!

Spike, any chance you might adopt me before next christmas ?

Congrats to Finn, that Rigby is a definite "lifer".
I'm sure he's going to create some awesome hunting memories with that rifle.

Just joined the 9.3 club myself, having an ole '09 Argie knocked up into a x64mm Brenneke.

Happy days allround.

Spike, any chance you might adopt me before next christmas ?

Congrats to Finn, that Rigby is a definite "lifer".
I'm sure he's going to create some awesome hunting memories with that rifle.

Just joined the 9.3 club myself, having an ole '09 Argie knocked up in
Happy days allround.

only if you adopt me in reverse so i can shoot lots of buff for free :biggrin2::beer: good to see you have got a small calibre at last , havent tried the 9.3x64 but i believe it works well.

only if you adopt me in reverse so i can shoot lots of buff for free :biggrin2::beer: good to see you have got a small calibre at last , havent tried the 9.3x64 but i believe it works well.

Certainly no flies on you Spike, snappy reply :clap::thumb:

Has Finn fired it yet ?
I love the looks of the "lines" of that stock ! (typical old-school stockmaking).
It certainly "looks" like it would be comfortable to shoot.

I'd really like to try and achieve that with my 9.3 stock without having to morgage the house.

What loads will you be feeding it ?, are you handloading ?

Cheers,

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg