AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NHSA, SA Wingshooters, SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Hi Guys

I can buy a pre war Rigby in 350 Magnum.

Anyone have some info on the caliber?

Hi Guys

I can buy a pre war Rigby in 350 Magnum.

Anyone have some info on the caliber?

Hi Roan,

Presuming it is the Rimless version, then it is ballistically about identical to the .35 Whelen of today.
And, both cartridges use a .358 diameter bullet.
However, the brass is not anywhere close to interchangeable, as the Rigby is a much larger cartridge (presumably lower pressure than the Whelen?)
Many of Rigby's large and beautiful .350 Magnum Mausers were regulated to the leaf sights for this cartridge with, 225 grain "high velocity load" and again, these shot at the same speed as the Whelen does with 225 grainers.
A very classic African caliber in it's day, John "Pondoro" Taylor spoke highly of this cartridge with 225 grain bullet for hunting eland in particular, among scattered thorn and rolling hills, where the shots tended to be a bit longish.

Cheers,
Paul Dog.

go for it!!! just traded mine back to paul last year for another rifle. kynoch still load it and as mrVD @Velo Dog says it was loaded originally with a 225grn bullet in soft and solid, they used to load the solids as well but seem to have stopped. photos of the rifle please

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/350 Rigby.html

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 1.18.03 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info guys.

My biggest concern after the price is the availability of reloading components.

Priced at around $6500.

IMG_8867.JPG
IMG_8868.JPG
IMG_8869.JPG

Forgot about Stewards!

Think Bertrams make cases. But yea not gonna be cheap tobget them here.

That is a fine looking rifle. Go for it.

Bertram make brass for the 350Rigby Magnum. Bruce Bertram has shot several Lions with his.

Just remember in a good solid action like the Mauser the 350 can be loaded to its true potential which is the same as a 350 Norma Magnum. I have been told that Rigby had the 350RM loaded down for several reasons 1) So the trajectory of its loads mirrored that of the 303 that a lot of the British of the day used. 2) So as not to have pressure spikes in the heat with the cordite powder in use at the time. 3) So the current production bullets wouldn't fail because of high impact velocities. I can not vouch for any of those reasons as I have not seen anything put out by Rigby as to why it was under loaded, thoiugh I suspect N02 to be the main reason.

Great caliber and rifle! It in many ways basically competed with the .318 (.33 cal) Wesley Richards which used a .250 gr bullet as its standard loading. One had a bit more frontal area and the other a bit more BC.

Bertram make brass for the 350Rigby Magnum. Bruce Bertram has shot several Lions with his.

Just remember in a good solid action like the Mauser the 350 can be loaded to its true potential which is the same as a 350 Norma Magnum. I have been told that Rigby had the 350RM loaded down for several reasons 1) So the trajectory of its loads mirrored that of the 303 that a lot of the British of the day used. 2) So as not to have pressure spikes in the heat with the cordite powder in use at the time. 3) So the current production bullets wouldn't fail because of high impact velocities. I can not vouch for any of those reasons as I have not seen anything put out by Rigby as to why it was under loaded, thoiugh I suspect N02 to be the main reason.

Given that very good projectiles were made for the 416 to perfectly suit the velocity of that cartridge, I reckon the most likely scenario is #2, with #1 being a fortunate by product.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

I didn't jump on this rifle quick enough and it was sold.

Kicking myself!!

Kicking myself!!
Damn thought you were going to get it.

go for it!!! just traded mine back to paul last year for another rifle. kynoch still load it and as mrVD @Velo Dog says it was loaded originally with a 225grn bullet in soft and solid, they used to load the solids as well but seem to have stopped. photos of the rifle please

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/350 Rigby.html

View attachment 192500
Spike.
Who would have thunk it a pommy Whelen. Those brits knew a thing or two about calibers.
Thats why i love my Whelen.
Bob

Rule303
I cant see any of the modern bullets failing mate.. Espescialy the 275 and 300 grain Woodleighs or the Barnes and swift.
Bob

Kicking myself!!

I see you haven't been on the forum since March, so this may not be helpful: If you decide you still want one, I know a high end gun dealer here in Gauteng who will most likely have a 350 for you. He did last time I was there.

Cheers,
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg