AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Czech, Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
Now and again something of beauty crosses our path. A few stories cross paths in this tale but if you have time.......I will try to make it interesting.
Some years ago a Norwegian friend invited me up to Trysil in Norway to try my luck for a moose.
Well I am still trying for that moose but that's hunting. However during my visit I did notice that all the locals rifles were,well,rather nice. Chapuis doubles,a Cogswell&Harrison 375, several Mannlicher Schonauers and all well kept.

In particular the Mannlicher Schonauers took my fancy. My fancy turned into a desire and eventually on a trip to Denmark where the airline sent my shotgun back to Ireland I disconsolately visited a gunshop with my Danish friend to pick up some ammo for the next day's shooting.an invitation to visit the strong room was accepted and there,nestling on the rack,was MY Mannlicher. Not in 7x57 which would have been a dream come true but a very useable 308. Most importantly it had 1 inch rings fitted einhak style.

I shot some Sika and Fallow deer with this and visited Namibia last year where myself and the rifle had a good bit of fun together. A conversation with the PH over yet another bottle of Jameson rekindled my interest in a 7x57.

I put the word out to a couple of firearms dealers here in Ireland that I was looking for a 7x57.
Nothing transpired and a couple of months ago a friend decided to sell his TT Proctor Mauser actioned 7x57. So I got that out of the way. Happy laddy. Then yesterday this photo dropped into my in box.
image.jpg
Followed by this
image.jpg
My interest was well peaked and I was on the phone like a flash. Dave had something to show me

He welcomed me in and took a rifle out of his safe and handed it over to me. Lost for words ?
image.jpg
I regained my senses and apologise now that all I had was my iPhone.
image.jpg
Still,better than nothing. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have read that book so many times that went we went to India for a holiday I had to,had to go to Nanital to see where Jim Corbett lived. We did and visited the Corbett Tiger Reserve.
image.jpg
The bust of Jim Corbett at the entrance to the reserve.sorry about the Irishman crowding the photo.
image.jpg
The Rigby 275 was owned by a PH who retired to Ireland. He had it rebarreled in the '80's and I suspect restocked. Most(all) old Rigbys I have handled have too much drop in the stock to be shot comfortably with a scope.This is perfect.

Sadly guys it is not for sale. He's keeping it and can you blame him? I offered a small,singular, organ donation. I'd nearly give the pair .

Nice images, shame about that ugly beggar in the last one! :D

But ... never say never, you might still get what you are after.

I put the word out to a couple of firearms dealers here in Ireland that I was looking for a 7x57.
Nothing transpired and a couple of months ago a friend decided to sell his TT Proctor Mauser actioned 7x57. So I got that out of the way. Happy laddy

not sure here ...did you manage to buy the proctor .275 ? i love the older rigby .275 they are so light and trim . my one has iron sights and was never set up for a scope and paul said not to put mounts etc on it as it would devalue it. lovely looking little rifle if you annoy him enough he might give in just for some peace and quiet.........;)

Last edited:
Yes I did but owing to the tardiness of my firearms officer the substitution on my licence has not been effected. So no photos.

Are you reading this Sargeant ?

Yes I did but owing to the tardiness of my firearms officer the substitution on my licence has not been effected. So no photos.

Are you reading this Sargeant ?

will look forward to seeing them in the hopefully not too distant future......:D

That's a nice looking rifle/s you have there spike. I am now at a disadvantage with an unscoped rifle. Maybe a peep sight fitted on the back of the bolt ?

That's a nice looking rifle/s you have there spike. I am now at a disadvantage with an unscoped rifle. Maybe a peep sight fitted on the back of the bolt ?

i have a receiver peep on the .350 and fully fold down leaf sights but thats how it was made for me, but want to keep the .275 totally as it was made. finns 9.3x74r rigby bolt has the original peep pop up sight on the rear of the bolt which is neat. there are photos of it on one of the threads i started.

Wow! Thanks for sharing the pics. I would love to hunt with that boom stick.

Beautiful rifle in the finest of calibers. Thanks for taking the time to show us the photos.

Spike,I think a little winter holiday in Hungary will be first .. But for sure I will be taking it out in the sunshine.

There is a .275 Rigby for sale in auction at Gavin Gardiner Limited. It has the peep sight fitted to the bolt and estimates are £800-£1000, the only downside is it has a none matching bolt.
Regards
Garry

The few that I have seen on local sites in the states are usually pretty beat up and they usually ask around $7000 for them. Even though this one is not for sale, do you have an idea what it would go for? It's a beauty! 1000 p0unds ($1300) sounds very inexpensive to me for anything with the Rigby name on it.

The few that I have seen on local sites in the states are usually pretty beat up and they usually ask around $7000 for them. Even though this one is not for sale, do you have an idea what it would go for? It's a beauty! 1000 p0unds ($1300) sounds very inexpensive to me for anything with the Rigby name on it.
It's in the current catalogue from Gavin Gardiner Limited and will be up for auction shortly, I think it will go for well above £800-£1000. You can view the upcoming auction catalogue via the Gavin Gardiner Limited website http://www.gavingardiner.com/
Enjoy looking through the online catalogue !
Regards
Garry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg