Rifles Used For Indian Buffaloes (Gaur)

However, it is true that there are many new calibers in existance today, but good old calibers do not loose their function.
Majority of new calibers are designed by specific rifle makers, in order to have their ammuniton sold together with their rifles.
So today there will be a family of various modern 375 calibers, and family of for example of 416 calibers, all of them good, but none of them revolutionary, and all with similar performance.

Most of newly made calibers come from American continent. Europe sticks more to tradition, and they seam to be less commercially oriented, or at least having less competiton or demand on old continent. Majority of modern safari clients, come from American continent, thus the reason for new trends.
For the few decades that I have been interested in firearms, I have noticed a great enthusiasm, especially among competent Americans, to create "wildcat" cartridges that are never going to be commercial successes - except some do become successes. I see a few different trains of thought, where at least a theoretical advantage is sought:
- The belt of a belted magnum is not beneficial. It has drawbacks.
- It is better to have the same performance from a shorter cartridge.
- More velocity is better.
- A bigger bullet is better.
While these ideas have some merit, at least in some circumstances, this does not detract from the proven performance of the classic cartridges.

Mr Rahman,

great information, thank you. i for one would appreciate some of your tales about hunting guar, since there is so little information out there about hunting them, i would surely appreciate another story or two about hunting the guar.

i don't know if they are not hunted much, or nobody writes much about it, but having a guide/ph/shikar that has actually hunted them would provide a wealth of knowledge and history of hunting the beasts. thank you for all your contributions so far

Mr Rahman,

great information, thank you. i for one would appreciate some of your tales about hunting guar, since there is so little information out there about hunting them, i would surely appreciate another story or two about hunting the guar.

i don't know if they are not hunted much, or nobody writes much about it, but having a guide/ph/shikar that has actually hunted them would provide a wealth of knowledge and history of hunting the beasts. thank you for all your contributions so far
1dirthawker
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will do it then .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg