Rifle weight

For over a decade my "go-to" .375 weighed 8lbs scoped and loaded.

I absolutely loved that rifle and shot countless scrub bulls, pigs and buffalo with it.

Just plain wore it out !!!!

What is your recoil tolerance? What style stock will you be using? What type of hunting do you normally do? Answering those questions honestly will lead you to your ideal rifle weight.

I like em about 9-10 pounds fully loaded with optics, carry strap, and ammo. Easy to carry and shoots like a dream.

wow, 8 lb is fairly light with a scope on.
my rifle is 9 lb on the button, and i just wondered how that fits in with others' thinking.
it is for an ammount of walking with not a lot of shooting.
actually it is a 9.3 x 64, but i asked about 375 because more people would use that, and it uses a 300 gn bullet with similar powder charges.
i made the stock myself, and recoil comes back, with little muzzle rise.
i once had a sako finnbear 375 and the forend would tear out of your hand with muzzle rise if you did not hang onto it.
bruce.

My 375 is just over 8.5 lbs with the scope and it’s a joy to shoot.

My favorite .375 - a Blaser R8 - has the minimalist R8 sporter stock and sporter barrel, and comes in at 8.75 lbs with scope. It is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

My pre 64 m70 25” barrel 375 HH weighs a tad over 9# with a receiver sight. Would not change a thing.

I have a Remington Custom shop, Alaskan Wilderness Rifle in .375 H&H it,s the first model with the black stock, not that later series two. This is a light weight .375 coming in at 6 3/4 bare. It holds four down. I have it set up with a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36. I can't tell you what the weight is all up ready to go, because I have never felt the need to find out. This rifle is all SS with a black teflon finish, came with the Mcmillen stock and lightweight Douglass barrel.
I have fitted it with a Sako extractor, I can say that it uncannily shoots everything I put through into a cloverleaf. For such a light rifle it's not as bad to shoot off-hand as one might think.

I have a CZ 550.....I dont know the weight. It is heavy but I like how it feels when I shoot. I dont think I would like a "light" .375 as much. When I was prepping for an ele/buff hunt, I shot it a ton and it never bothered me.

My .375 is a Montana 1999, 20" bbl. and a Leupold VX6 1-6. 8# scoped, empty. Figure 8# 6oz with five down. Wonderfully accurate...terrible to look at. :)

As others have noted, it all depends on the fit. I have shot 50 rounds off the bench in a 3 hour day without any ill effects.

I have a 375 listed in an Excel document but I can't get at it because Microsoft made some changes to my system and I can't access it unless I click on the "I agree" button to their terms, which are several pages of fine print. Naturally, I haven't clicked the button- but I recall the 375 H&H, a pre-war M70 with newer stock and fixed power scope weighed about 9 1/2 pounds. It wasn't too bac to carry and I don't recall feeling any recoil when I was shooting at animals.

My CZ550 weighs in at 11 lbs. with scope. I have a stiff leather sling on it, which works well. Never minded the weight in Africa, and it shoots very well. Shooting game you never notice more than a "pop". Don't wish for less.

My 375 H&H - don’t know the weight but carry it a lot more than I fire it. It’s not so heavy as to require continuous swapping of carrying shoulders and it’s not too light that the rifle under recoil belts the hell out of you. I’m small so carrying a heavy rifle is not on.
My Winchester carries a 1-4 Leupold scope.
If recoil is an issue go down to a lighter recoiling rifle. Accuracy is very important and I humbly suggest it’s better than heavier and bigger Bullets that hit in the general direction because the shooter is frightened of getting a whack.

My Winchester M70 classic in 375 H&H is a bit of a heavyweight.. it comes in right at 10.6 lbs with optic.. like @Rick Cox I never have really minded the weight while hiking some pretty long miles in Africa.. although I will admit something lighter probably would have been easier...

that said.. I can sit at the bench and fire off 20+ rounds of full power, 300gr ammo.. and not bat an eye.. and shooting from sticks is a dream.. and I am a pretty large/thick guy (6'4", and built like an old, worn down defensive lineman).. so toting around a couple of extra pounds on my rifle likely doesnt have the same impact as it does on someone smaller framed/lighter...

Im in the process of building a 416 now and plan on taking the same direction with it.. Im targeting 11lbs as a final weight with optic..

My present rifle (a British Mauser) in .375HH weighs in at between 8.25-8.5lbs. This is with a properly balanced for the gun 26" barrel, standing/folding rear sights, front ramp, walnut straight grained stock with a high enough comb for a scope, a 14-5/8" LOP, and a silver's pad. That's pretty much textbook for a British rifle such as this. Add to that a Griffin & Howe Mount and a Swarovski 1-6x scope and the total package is between 10-10.25 pounds maximum.

My M70 is around 10.5 with scope, sling and loaded. I had no issue carrying for many miles over many days in Africa.

My CZ 375H&H comes in right around 10.5# with ammo, scope and rings.
Easy for me (70" 150#) to shoot and carry all day.
Having a stock that fits properly along with proper shooting stance and technique are what make it easy to shoot.
Not sure I could handle an 8-8.5# 375 out of the gate, but with consistent practice you never know.
That is the real key to handling the big kickers, consistent practice.
A few rounds at a time, building up muscle memory and learning your rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg