Rifle Suppressor

Drunen

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, Wyoming, New Mexico, Indiana, Michigan
Hello, Looking at getting a suppressor for my new rifle soon. Caliber 300WSM. When I was in Namibia I used a Moose suppressor and it was really great. Does anyone have a easy screw on Suppressor like the Moose that screws on and off the barrel really easy, and is actually seated down on the barrel so it does not make the gun so long with the suppressor. Anyone have any suggestions on suppressors they recommend?
Thanks! Eric

I suggest you take a long look at how you envision yourself using it. This is not a cheap item to purchase, not to mention the PITA ATF and local police paperwork.

There are several good cans out there. Some are directly threaded to the barrel and others have an adapter for more consistent mating of the rifle and suppressor.

I have a Dead Air Sandman S 7.62/.30 cal that I bought specifically for a Savage 300WSM and it was mounted on a barrel adapter. It worked great at the range or for laying prone shooting varmints but for hunting it was more cumbersome and annoying than anything else. If I were sitting in a blind and hunting, it would be not so bad. I say not so bad because I'd have to walk to the blind with the extra weight and length of it. For staking and actual field use, it makes the rifle barrel heavy and at least 6" longer than it was without it.

The good side is the noise suppression, obviously helping to save your hearing. Even still, I'd recommend using hearing protection even with the suppressor whenever possible. So maybe wear protection for range work/bench shooting and no protection for hunting. The other benefit is that the game will be less aware of where you may be, so a follow up shot (in theory) would be easier.

I have personally found that custom injected molded electronic hearing protection does more to save your hearing than a suppressor, costs less, doesn't come with ATF scrutiny and doesn't change your POI on a firearm.

The exception is my 22 rimfire suppressor that I absolutely love. Makes all subsonic ammo sound like a single clapping of the hands.

I use a silencio with quick connect flash suppressors on a number of rifles. I agree with @BeeMaa wrt hunting with one. Mine is set up for black rifles with short barrels for night work on vermin. Great for that application. I also use it on a .22 with subsonic ammo just for grins and giggles. I would not be likely to use it in a conventional hunting situation.

With a suppressor, you also get the added benefit of some recoil reduction as well. In my opinion, they are worth every penny and every hoop you have to jump through. If you live in the USA, buy from Silencershop and the worst you have to do is find one of their kiosks and have your info gathered from it which includes the fingerprinting done right at the kiosk. Pay the money, and then be patient and wait. While it is stupid that we have to go through all of this in the states, it really isn't as big of an issue as it once was when you filled out your own paperwork. There are quite a few places that do all of the paperwork for you if you don't want to use silencershop to buy from.

There are also a lot of silencers that are direct thread. In my opinion, that is the best way to go because it can then easily be used on different rifles without the added cost of needing to buy a mount for every rifle you want to use it on. If it is just one rifle, then buying the mount is definitely worth it. A lot of suppressors can also easily be converted from a direct thread to a quick disconnect type mount if you want to go that route in the future. There are quite a few different mounting systems so keep that in mind if you decide to buy a second suppressor later on. Staying in the same ecosystem would be wise.

I currently have a silencerco harvester 300 that I use on my 6.5 and 300 prc rifles. It works awesome. It does add a bunch of length to your rifle but that has never been a burden on me. I am not walking through thick stuff very often and if I am, the rifle goes off my shoulder and into my hands anyway. I also have a dead air nomad LT on order. I have heard nothing but good things about the dead air suppressors so I expect it to perform great.

I too am a huge fan of suppressors--I have three silencerco harvesters (two currently and one in process) that I hunt with along with my children. My son enjoys stand hunting with the suppressor and my daughters (17,15, and 13) are able to hunt with larger caliber due to the reduction in sound and felt recoil. We have hunted whitetails and they have all harvested animals in South Africa using a suppressor and in my opinion it has enabled my girls to enjoy hunting without the two things they are most averse to--noise and recoil. I also have a dedicated quick release 556 silencer co suppressor for hog hunting and in preparation for the zombie apocalypse ...I carried my 7mag with the harvester on my last elk hunt without problems of weight or difficulty.

Hello, Looking at getting a suppressor for my new rifle soon. Caliber 300WSM. When I was in Namibia I used a Moose suppressor and it was really great. Does anyone have a easy screw on Suppressor like the Moose that screws on and off the barrel really easy, and is actually seated down on the barrel so it does not make the gun so long with the suppressor. Anyone have any suggestions on suppressors they recommend?
Thanks! Eric
Eric
I have many suppressors but there is nothing as good for hunting as the Thunderbeast Ultra 5. It is tiny and although only 5” long provides good suppression and superior recoil reduction. IMO all others are severely lacking and do not compare in any way to the Ultra 5.
Check them out for yourself, better yet come out and shoot with me!
Regards,
Philip

I have an older gemtech that I use interchangeably on my .260 and .308. One wonderful farm I hunt have houses popping up around. As I hunt 100% legal in the distance requirement it is nice to hunt and and shoot at will without drawing scrutiny from others around by shooting. Happy landowner Neighbors and hunter.

Q Trash Panda by a mile.

Good deal on Silencerco Omega 36M right now, extremely versatile, "add to cart" gets you to $756.99. I ordered a couple myself, just waiting to get them out of jail!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.21 PM.png
    750 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.23 PM.png
    376.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 7.03.25 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
A buddy of mine has the SilencerCo Omega, and it’s the best suppression of any of the 30 cal’s I’ve heard.

i can’t believe the price of those suppressors mentioned in this thread ! I supp,tops, a suppressor here in Ireland would cost $400. That would be a top quality one also.I have a Freyr&Devik on my 22/250, 169 grams. My 7x57 sports a Hausken extreme weighing about 1lb. Seriously quiet and excellent recoil reduction. Mind you the 7x57 is a softie to shoot.

A9F2E967-46A7-4BDC-8883-043AF90E9C1E.jpeg
DB2F0D11-2AF3-49F7-9157-117D1D2ACD57.jpeg
CFCEAD85-A09F-4092-991B-39B41B4E1FCF.jpeg

i can’t believe the price of those suppressors mentioned in this thread ! I supp,tops, a suppressor here in Ireland would cost $400. That would be a top quality one also.I have a Freyr&Devik on my 22/250, 169 grams. My 7x57 sports a Hausken extreme weighing about 1lb. Seriously quiet and excellent recoil reduction. Mind you the 7x57 is a softie to shoot.

View attachment 421108View attachment 421109View attachment 421110

Sadly, the average suppressor, especially for magnum calibers, will run about $1000 in the USA... and then there's the $200 Tax Stamp on top of that... and the 6 month wait to get it.

But if you can put up with all of that, it's totally worth the investment.

I am a dedicated Silencerco user. I have a Saker for my AR15 and an Omega for up to 300 Magnums

@Sika98k: I love the leather aplication on your bi-pod (brand?). Did you have it made? As well, how do you fair with the Pard? Do you need an external IR source?

First off, allways use hearing aid! I come from a big family of hunters, my father, my 8 uncles are now in advanced age (60+) and all need hearing aids now, so my advice is to think of the future or else you will not be able to enjoy TV, discussions as you are used to now.

I am not too familiar with US silencers, but I have several overbarrel B&T (swiss military contractor) silencers on my rifles such as the 300WSM with an M15 thread, but they do all kinds of fastenings. The B&T cans are well made with good performance and importantly without steelwool inside making them longer lasting and easy to clean and dry.

Skandinavians have long time experiance with silencers and you can never go wrong with the likes of Hausken, Jaki etc.

I am thinking to buy a new one from Krontec, eliptical for better sight through optics and it is very light. They advertise that you have no inital pops and with NR of >32dB. The iron sight funtion is quite sweet but I am a bit weary about the durability and zero. I have not tested it yet though but will next week. https://www.krontec.de/en/or50-or60

We didn’t even mention the $200 tax stamp for each suppressor

The single greatest advantage of a suppressor is to help with the potential hearing damage for you and others on the stalk, who have no hearing protection.

The second lessor benefit is recoil reduction.

To be clear, in ear protection is better than nothing but it will not prevent all damage. Only over the ear will do that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen muffs while hunting. Therefore, in ear with a suppressor is a great combination. Think of those around you without any protection.

also check if you can take one where you’re headed. Not all states, let alone countries allow them. It may be that buying/renting in your destination is a good choice.

A buddy of mine has the SilencerCo Omega, and it’s the best suppression of any of the 30 cal’s I’ve heard.

That is the unit I have. They are excellent but pricey.

I have a Rugged Razor 7.62 suppressor. This little guy is machine gun rated, and it's great for what I use it for. I only use it on AR type rifles, and for that it suits my needs. Reach out to Silencer Shop, it's a one stop shop, and they can help you with just about anything regarding to suppressors. The average waiting time is about 8-12 months. It took 9 months for me to get my paper work. Things to look at are weight, length of suppressor, if it needs an adapter or not and how quiet is it. Oh, and how much you want to spend. :ROFLMAO: Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I use the YHM Resonator, as well as the shorter YHM "K" version. They are very highly rated, and a superb piece of equipment. You can get out the door for about $800 including the tax stamp and trust. Can't beat 'em IMO.

Thought you were hunting tourists for a moment ..... :unsure: :E Shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross