Rifle Stock

krish

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
What is more desirable an oil finished stock or regular factory stock.
Krish

Working on one. Top is getting oil finish and bottom is factory.
Krish
20210615_201831.jpg

What kind of oil are you using?

I oil finish my hammer and axe handles. I much prefer it to varnish/clear coat

Sand it to bare wood. Clean it with mineral spirits. Let it dry for a day. Check for smoothness and if any rough spots or old Stain. Make sure non percent. Then use Boiled linseed oil and apply it with lunt free cloth. Let it dry 24 hours. Repeat the process till you are happy. Then use liquid bee wax and wax the stock. It is a laborious process. Needs lots of patience. For sanding start with 220gr sand paper then 320 then 400, then 0000 steel wool till the stock is very very smooth. Repeat till you get there.
Krish

If you are working on rifle stock most time will be spent sanding near the engraving so you don't sand the lines. Engraving part be left alone if it is already there. Small piece of straight edge sand paper and hours of careful sanding. Patience patience PATIENCE.
Krish

Oil finished for the look (much nicer in my opinion) and the ability to more easily refinish in case of scratches or other surface damage. Most factory finishes are tough to spot-repair and not have a noticeable difference. I really enjoy the process of oil finishing too. It takes time, but I find it worth the investment.

Oil + wax. Something like renaissance micro crystalline wax on top of cured oil. Then checker. After a refinish, i always either recut the checkering or chase the lines with a 90° tool to crisp them up.

This is one I did for my brother. He had a crack at the tang and the guy before him put a pin through it with a messy epoxy job. I replaced the pin and set walnut plugs, oil finished, waxed then checkered the stock to hide part of the plug. It is still visible, but far less ugly than it previously looked. Oil and wax always win. hands down.
20190218_191542.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg