Rifle stock project CZ 550 375H&H

dsmerrills

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe
To all user, your thoughts and experience regarding the following will be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new CZ 550 375H&H and as I love CZ/Brno and have a couple Brno's, the new CZ's to me don't live up to the quality that was previously Brno.

For starters the finish on the stock is terrible and I would like to remove the original finish and give it a classic English oiled finish, as CZ states on there website the is a piece of Turkish walnut hiding under that finish, as to what grade walnut your guess is as good as mine. Has anyone done this?

Secondly I would like to add a different fore end cap to the stock as well as a heel cap and make a more traditional Brno looking stock.

Your suggestions and pictures if previously done would be highly appreciated.

Thank
Darren

Well, Darren I don't know anyone that has done this, but a good gunsmith should have some ideas.

Can't help you if you're looking to do this yourself. If you want to start with a new piece of wood and add options such as fore end cap, grip cap, recoil pad and checkering - look at Accurate Innovations website. I've had them make several laminated stocks with ebony fore ends and grip caps. Haven't tried their walnut, but some of the examples they show are impressive. They're not the fastest operation in the business, but I've been very satisfied with the final product each time.

Not sure what is meant by terrible finish, I think its well done myself, not too glossy but enough to protect the wood. Are you talking about the Safari Magnum with Euro style stock or the Classic with American style stock? Removing finish and refinishing is lots of work but fun if you like that kind of work. Adding caps and tips is not too hard if you are handy with tools, glue and clamps etc., I have done this myself with pretty good results. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You can do whatever you want with your own gun.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but that's all I seem to have of the rifle on my computer. It's a CZ 550 in 375HH also.

Before

After

Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmithing (USA) did the work for me. They do the CZ Custom Shop work here in the US for them. Very nice to deal with. I had a bit of work done to it besides the stock work. Only other thing I wished I had done after the fact is that I should have shortened the barrel.

American Hunting Rifles ( American Hunting Rifles ) should give you some ideas too.

The CZs are very robust rifles, but need a little bit of work to make them just right for me.

Attachments

• IMG00026-20101113-17571_zps027882e3.jpg
    IMG00026-20101113-17571_zps027882e3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 264
  • Mjollnir004_zps9219da1e.jpg
    Mjollnir004_zps9219da1e.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Mjollnir012_zps709728d5.jpg
    Mjollnir012_zps709728d5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 349
Thats reallly nice. Only other thing I would have done, though not necessary is move the front swivel out to the barrel. Just more safari traditional. I have worked with TRG 'smithing too on a CZ.

I found a better outside pic of the rifle. There's pretty decent wood under there. Refinishing it will definitely bring it out.

Best of luck and enjoy your rifle.

Attachments

• photo_zpsb75604ed.jpg
    photo_zpsb75604ed.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 242
Thats reallly nice. Only other thing I would have done, though not necessary is move the front swivel out to the barrel. Just more safari traditional. I have worked with TRG 'smithing too on a CZ.

That's what I plan to do next when I shorten the barrel. Currently it sticks out well above my head when slung on my shoulder and when walking through the bush it gets snagged on branches from time to time. I would like it to be level with the top of my head and the barrel band would definitely help.

Sorry for the crappy pics, but that's all I seem to have of the rifle on my computer. It's a CZ 550 in 375HH also.

Before

After

Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmithing (USA) did the work for me. They do the CZ Custom Shop work here in the US for them. Very nice to deal with. I had a bit of work done to it besides the stock work. Only other thing I wished I had done after the fact is that I should have shortened the barrel.

American Hunting Rifles ( American Hunting Rifles ) should give you some ideas too.

The CZs are very robust rifles, but need a little bit of work to make them just right for me.

Thanks arinjit, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing, did they remove the old finish and give it a traditional old English oil finish? All of my rifle have custom Turkish walnut stocks either grade 4 or 5 depending, and to me the stock on the 375H&H doesn't come close that's why I want to do this project!

I'm going to do most of the work myself under the guidance of a gunsmith at his shop, he has become great family friend over the years and when I spoke to him about it he said, "why not come and do it at the shop over the weekends and ill guide you", well I couldn't let that offer go.

I'm hoping as you said that, there is a nice piece of walnut under that finish just waiting for some TLC!

Thanks arinjit, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing, did they remove the old finish and give it a traditional old English oil finish? All of my rifle have custom Turkish walnut stocks either grade 4 or 5 depending, and to me the stock on the 375H&H doesn't come close that's why I want to do this project!

I'm going to do most of the work myself under the guidance of a gunsmith at his shop, he has become great family friend over the years and when I spoke to him about it he said, "why not come and do it at the shop over the weekends and ill guide you", well I couldn't let that offer go.

I'm hoping as you said that, there is a nice piece of walnut under that finish just waiting for some TLC!

You will have fun with it. Adding a fore end and grip cap can be a bit more work than most assume. To do it right so you have a seamless finish, you will have to sand the areas down and will end up having to re-checker the stock (at least the grip) again and refinishing it. That's what they did for me on this one and the rest of the stock is original. I am not sure of the exact stain they used to refinish, but it's a lot lighter than what was originally there and really brings out the grain. Then they put a semi-gloss finish over it. For the price of the gun and all work done to it, I am very happy with the performance and looks of it. If I were to sell it, I probably would not recover the costs. But I typically do not sell my guns and am sort of a hoarder as my lovely wife reminds me often. I usually have a vision in my head of what I want it to do or look like and go for it. While you have the gun apart, I would also suggest bedding and polishing the action at a minimum. I also do not like the front sight the CZs come with and ended up putting a NECG red fibre optic front sight on it. If you do not plan on using the iron sights, it may not be a concern for you. I had a bunch of other stuff done to it also, but they do not really add that much to the functionality of the rifle, and were just things I wanted done.

Back to your project ... Knowing Africa ... One "class" stock for here ... One synthetic stock for Africa ...

Arinjit, It's a pleasure to see your satisfaction ! Congratulation !:bighello:

Do you know what finish they used on the stock? Thinking of doing it myself now that i see the end result. I put a 3 position safety on mine since i like the feeling more too.

Before

After

Arinjit,

That is the same stock? Wow, the finish really brought the grain out. i have a feeling my Safari Classics CZ would really benefit from a similar treatment and the ebony forend cap certainly seems more "proper" on an african style big bore. Do you remember about what that work cost to have performed?

Thanks!

Vette447,

Yes, same stock. This was done a few years ago and I don't remember the exact cost, but if I remember correctly, Triple River has a price list for different services on their website. Very competitive pricing and they did good work with my CZs. You can also email them for an estimate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg