Rifle Stock design/Felt Recoil: Chassis versus Wood/Laminated stock??

I did discuss the conversion from the HOWA .338 WM to the .338 Imperial Magnum in regards to the psi pressure levels. The 404 Jeffery case has one great advantage , the low chamber pressures in the Mauser actions.

Another advantage is the exceptional steel/quality build into the HOWA rifles since it is a Japanese product.

It will handle the .338 Imperial Magnum on every specification.

Here is a photo of the Long action chassis the HOWA company manufacture. I will focus on the butt stock to mill from /cast from an aluminum aircraft grade 30mm /40mm bar stock.

Howa-1500-MDT-ESS-Chassis-6.5-Creed-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope you do well after surgery! Good luck with that!

I will be watching this closely you have some really interesting ideas.

Thank you inline, yes , I already am able to see a vast difference in vision in regards to the old lenses that was replaced. Everything is crisp and clear , enabling me to see much better now. It will take another week to heal completely before I can work again or pick /move heavy items around or bend forward to pick stuff up.

It really was a fascinating procedures. The new technology is astounding. While they slice open your eye to suck out the old lenses in your eyes while you are looking at the procedures from below ... then they replace it with the new lenses and stitch it together ...all the while you listen and see how they work on your eye.

What was certainly the most fascinating was how they immobilize your eye and the complete halve of your face by taking a long needle and syringe , push the needle all the way down into the corner of your eye ( 60mm deep into the corner of your eye)
it up to the spout of the syringe..

The after care seems to be the most important of the operation..

Information to members who are as much interested in the caliber `design`s based on the 404 Jeffery as the parent case:
Another caliber I found based recently on the 404 Jeffery case as a parent case: .33 Nosler caliber. the most recent caliber designed to fit this category.
The .338 Imperial Magnum still is the leader in this 404 Jeffery parent case based designed calibers.
The .33 Nosler is the youngest and most modern caliber yet...
Another reason why I personally perceive the .404 Jeffery/10.75 X 73 mm case as the perfect case .
https://www.nosler.com/33-nosler#:~:...less%20powder.

Had a discussion with the person who mill a complete chassis for a Howa rifle . During this discussion the person mentioned that to make the .338 Imperial Magnum fit into a Howa .338 barreled action will need to make extensive milling work on the Howa action and even remove material from the feeding ramp.

Not a good idea, if reaming the chamber to .338 Imperial Magnum dimensions it still would have been a feasible option, but not milling away the feeding ramp... not with a high pressure caliber like a .338 Imperial Magnum caliber. So I am back to the drawing board in regards to the action part of the chassis.
The butt stock and fore-end milling/casting project still continue ....

I will have to source a suitable action or buy a Mojet action, or get a Remington 700 long bolt action .

They would have to put me to sleep!!!

Members, if there is a possibility of getting hold of a good quality Remington Long action /magnum bolt face or a similar type of derivative of a Stiller/Bat/ type of action available that is not use by a member , please pm me to discuss the possibility to purchase or swop /build an item the same same value as the action.

This will be much appreciated since it is a challenge to get hold of a good quality affordable long range action here in SA. I t would be great if it is a repeater type with a removable magazine box set up.

Keep in mind this building project is a long term project with different parts of the rifle to be milled or cast.

Good day to all members. I received some good news today..the .338 Imperial Magnum ( based on the 404 Jeffery case ) reamer, go/no go gauges /140X Imperial Head-stamped brass was send to a member of our forum that will bring it to South Africa ...I will be buying the re-loading dies as well shortly, it seems there are quite a few re-loading die sets in this caliber available currently. (y) (y)

For sure, I am getting the crucible and forge ready to do lost foam casting on the butt stock template. I will commence drawing a scaled drawing of the butt stock . This will be duplicated in a block of foam to be used in the casting process.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y)Me too I wonder how difficult it is going to be ..looking forward to the casting processes ...I want to see how fine tolerances and detail I can get with casting the aluminum butt stock. I do not foreseen any difficulties , as long as the aluminum is solid and has a smooth surface with using the fine casting sand around the foam templet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg