Rifle Stock design/Felt Recoil: Chassis versus Wood/Laminated stock??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Gert Odendaal, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Members, in regards to the previous thread about "calibers as barrel burners" is quite an interesting thread and I have learned much from it...my next question being related to the subject of barrel burners....all of them has high , sharp , recoil...especially when shooting it all day long in shooting competitions....(y) While I am contemplating building myself a "barrel burner caliber like a 6.5x68S as a hunting rifles as well as a target /ghong shooting rifle....(( I am not consider building this rifle as a classic like the 8x68S I am building)) How much recoil can be take out of a hard recoil /flat shooting caliber rifle by building it rather on a chassis designed stock instead of a wood /laminated stock????
    Chassis stock versus Wood /laminated stock?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Members, I really would like to hear from members who do long range shooting ,using the chassis system as well as hunting with classic fast flat shooting rifles like the Weatherby /Lapua Magnum /.338 Win Mag rifles?
    This will afford me an answer to make a choice between a normal classic rifle stock or a chassis system...I really would appreciate your input..I will appreciate any advice from members...:A Big Hello::A Big Hello::A Banana::A Banana:

3. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

My advice which is not popular here would be to add a break. Area 419, APA Gen 2 little Bastard and the top ones. They will take out a lot of recoil, that is the good. The bad is they are loud you must wear hearing protection.

4. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

And to answer your question. The stock doesn't matter as much with felt recoil as much as the weight of the rig itself.

FWIW all my match rifles come in chassis form. (Accuracy International rifles)

5. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Inline, your input is much appreciated. Yes, even here is South Africa a muzzle brake is an unwelcome accessory on a rifle..
    Question, looking at the design/material use to build a chassis system, it is a super light set up..where does the weight comes in, in comparison to a wood /laminated rifle stock??

6. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

Accuracy International chassis are about 6 pounds. Has a lot of aluminum used in it. They will recoil straight back. Master Piece Arms makes some in the 5 pound plus range, along with weights that can be added to the chassis.

https://masterpiecearms.com

Most (not all) chassis are set up for rem 700 footprint actions. I'm not sure which action you are planning on but something to keep in mind. Most will also require an AICS style mag. COA length will dictate what will work.

Attached Files: