Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Hungary
Thanks in advance for all your inputs!

I have in my collection a Howa 1500 in 30-06 and I just found a SIG SSG 3000 in 308 this weekend I was allowed to buy on approval of my finance manager (wife). The scope to choose from are a Nikko Stirling Gameking 3.5-10x44 and a Leatherwood M-1000 2.5-10x44.

On my bag list are impala, blesbuck, blue wildebeest, warthog, zebra and meerkat (given they are legal for me to bring one home). Might get a baboon, if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not sure the exact weight of the Howa, but I guess it around 8 lbs unloaded. The SIG is 12 lbs before the M-1000 scope and ammo, but boasts 3-4 MOA or better accuracy. I'm in pretty good shape, so the weight likely won't be a huge issue.

Which of these two rifles would be prefered if you had to chose from this selection. I understand the fever associated with large bore, but making the SIG purchase this weekend squeezed the budget a bit tighter, so no other guns can be bought :( What would be the better choice of ammunition to take? I know the SIG has a 1:10 twist, no clue on the Howa.

The case I bought already will accommodate either rifle, possibly both I i polish my Tetris skills. I haven't tried to fit both just yet.

Finally, muzzle brake or no? (I'm sure this one will really stoke the fire!) Both are threaded for the eventual use of that suppressor the ATF won't let me have until next year.

Cheers,

ArmyGrunt

20140702_141956.jpg
Howa 1500 30-06with Nikko Stirling scope
20140702_141745.jpg
SIG SSG 3000 308 with Leatherwood M1000 scope

Take the 30-06 with 150gr TTSX or 165gr Swift A-Frame bullets. I do hope you have a better scope than a Nikko on it. Spend the money on a quality scope such as a Leupold 3X9X40 with Non-AO and duplex reticle. Sight it in 2.75" high at 100 yards and hold on the animal and you will have your trophy. Even a Leupold VX-I selling for under $200 is lightyears better than what you are considering

The sig is too heavy, scope choices poor and I hope you can do better than 3-4MOA.

Not putting you down just trying to help you out.

id be going with which ever one you shoot the best , grunter.
and if your gunna brake your riffle , you should speak to your outfitter first , being a brake fan ,im all for them .
but you need to consider the fellas standing in close proximity,of you .
that ,308 looks like a nice firearm ,
as is the howa , l own one in 22.250 and its a tack driver .

The Howa. But, get a better scope. Really. A Nikko is not a proper choice for a rifle to be used on a PG hunt. Regardless of the shape you are in, the SSG would be a very poor choice, even with a better scope.

Once you get the Howa sited in (and the bullet choices above are excellent IMHO), practice over sticks.

Good luck

I think the 30-06 is fine, buy a better scope though. A safari is an expensive investment with poor optics. I know bullets are expensive now, but so is misses and animals not found. TTSX, Swift-A frame, Accubond, E-tip, GMX, don't take a chance.

I did notice yesterday that the leatherwood scope looks much more clear than the nikko. I knew the nikko was cheaper, but surprising how much better you can see from one to the next. I have a crap spotting scope that gives really dark images regardless of the time of day.

That 3-4 moa was supposed to have been 3/4.....typing in a hurry before I left home for work

I'd go with the .30-06 just to give that little extra speed that may give a quicker kill and if you use a TSX/TTSX , it will help with opening them up better.

While it may seem crazy the combination of the .308 caliber and the look of the Sig, someone with a badge might come to the ridiculous conclusion that the Sig is an assault/military weapon.

I'd go with the .30-06 just to give that little extra speed that may give a quicker kill and if you use a TSX/TTSX , it will help with opening them up better.

While it may seem crazy the combination of the .308 caliber and the look of the Sig, someone with a badge might come to the ridiculous conclusion that the Sig is an assault/military weapon.

Spot one Phil.

Armygrunt- If you go ahead and decide that you may need a better scope, get ahold of me as I have a couple Leup's that are collecting dust. I'll donate 1 for your trip.

Good point, Phil. This is why I love this site! So much helpful info, so many helpful and friendly people. I hadn't thought about the scary look of the SIG. I keep forgetting how lucky we are in the States regarding the firearm laws.

BnC, look for PM.

Good job BNC. That's one of the things that makes this place so great. Some just really good people. Both rifles are .30 cal and will do the job. Take the 06 and have a great safari. Bruce

BnC 04, you are stand up guy. Very nice of you.

Received your PM Nate, I will give you a call this weekend and we can get that scope ran up to you.
Take care

Well there you go Nate, the 30-06 will be my choice also.

Nothing wrong with the Nikko Sterling, we have a lot of them here in SA, but mostly on smaller caliber rifle's...On the '30 odd 6', i will rather go with Nathan's Leupold suggestion!

NOW I AM OFF TO THE HUNTING FIELD IN 10 MIN. AGAIN!

Thanks, BnC! And thanks you Patrick. Can't wait to get on my trip. Flying around the world in 80 days!

Since I see Blue wildebeest (AKA poor mans buffalo) 30/06 good 165-180 gr swift, barnes, woodleigh bullet and like everyone else get better glass, Leupold, Vortex, Burris, all make a good scope.

The plains game animals aren't brutally tough regardless of what you might read in sensational magazine articles or see on tv shows. I used a .30-06 w/ 180gr. TTSX bullets out of a Rem 700 and the .308 Win w/ 150gr. TTSX in a Thompson/Center Encore single-shot handgun plus a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger. I've been on two trips to RSA and have only used the rifle on the two kudu that I shot. Not because they required the 180 gr. bullets but just because the rifle was the most expedient gun to grab at the time.

I'm in love with the Howa 1500 [a little heavy therefore very stable,floatting barrel, smooth action as for the Vanguard, Hogue stock, 5 cartridges ] ...
not to hunt but on the range ... cal .270W, scoped with a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40, Harris bipod
Commonly 3 shots inside 1"x 1" @170yds , Federal 130gr Nostler Ballistic Tip, I'm going to try Hornady SST ... 140gr ... light bullet .. too for PG ?
In addition I have CZ synthetic stock 9.3x62 according to use scoped with a 1.25-4.5x 24 Hawke ... [ there is better ...!! ] else 3-9x40 Leupold VX II
and Winch70 SE .416RM [ 400gr & 300gr] scoped with 1.5-5 x 20 Leupold VX III : 300gr allows distant shots !!! maybe better than the .375 H&H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg