Rifle scope selection for 338 Win Mag Ruger synthetic stock

yravat

Reaction score
Hi

Looking for advice please on a good rifle scope for a 338 win mag ruger synthetic stock.

What do you guys think about a lynx 3-9x42?

Only one choice ---Leupold. I had a 3X9X40 duplex reticle on mine for years and on my Africa trip in 2013.
This years Africa trip I will put a Leupold 3.5X10X40 on it. My 264win mag will have the Leupold 4.5X14X40. Always a duplex reticle sighted in 2.75" high at 100 yards. That is a one shot one kill set-up that will not fail on you at the worse possible time.

My 2 Cents

Lynx isn't sold in the states (that I know of) so I have to go off of the reviews I've seen, which vary a lot. The answer would be 'maybe'.
In general I like and use a 3-9X for hunting and 42mm objective should be bright and wide enough. But I'd look through one first and compare to another such as the Leupold VX 2, which is a standard in the US. There are of course better and worse. I can vouch for the Leupold VX2 in 3-9 and Vortex Razor LH 2-10X40 but the Razor us more than US $1000, which slows people down fast and may not be available where you are.

Welcome to AH :S Welcome:

You didn't say what your price range is or where you are located...but here is my 2c.

I have two .338. A synthetic Weatherby Mark V 338 win mag and a custom Winchester mod 70 338 Federal. Both wear Leupold Vari-X II scopes. The Win Mag has a 4-12 fine duplex with many, many, miles all over Alaska in airplanes, boats, 4-wheelers and back packs in all the weather conditions you can think of and has never had a single issue.
The Federal has a 3-9 with a Leupold dot reticle. It's traveled all over the US and went to South Africa last fall. It also has never had a single issue.
For the money in the US I don't think you can beat Leupold. That said There are lots of other really good scopes out there if you can spend 1000.00+.

Have fun

Last edited:
We need some more parameters. long range, close range, dangerous game, plains game scenario or? With a good quality 3-9, 2-10 scope, you really cant go wrong. Lynx isn't sold here in the states, so most of the guys here don't have any experience with them.

without too much information I am assuming that your 338wm is for longer range shooting , mine uses a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 long range with side focus , IMHO this is the best combination for my 338wm

On my Ruger 338, I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X 36 and love it. Other scopes already mentioned, the Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 I had on a Ruger 7mm mag and pulled it off recently and put it on a Ruger 300 WM. The 4.5 power on the low end is a little too high for some types of hunting. I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 on a 270 and really like that too. So a the 2.5 to 3.5 on the low end is what I'd suggest and 10X on the top end. Also, if you plan to hunt any where you might ride horses and need to put your rifle in a scabbard, do not get a big 50mm objective lens scope. They don't fit as well in the scabbard.

The Lynx website gives a description of the 3-9 x42mm but it doesn't give information on some important issues, such as what are the internal lenses made of, so I would look into some of the construction issues prior to purchase. the 338 that I use wears a 3-9 x36mm Zeiss Diavari. It's about 20 years old, has been up & down many hills and crosses many streams with no change. I find the optics bright enough for any legal shooting so I see no need for a 50mm objective lens.

On my Ruger 338, I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X 36 and love it. Other scopes already mentioned, the Leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 I had on a Ruger 7mm mag and pulled it off recently and put it on a Ruger 300 WM. The 4.5 power on the low end is a little too high for some types of hunting. I have a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40 on a 270 and really like that too. So a the 2.5 to 3.5 on the low end is what I'd suggest and 10X on the top end. Also, if you plan to hunt any where you might ride horses and need to put your rifle in a scabbard, do not get a big 50mm objective lens scope. They don't fit as well in the scabbard.

2.5-8x36 is by far my favorite scope , I have them on several rifles , my 338wm is used for longer shooting and hence why I suggested the 4.5-14x40 , the OP needs to inform us what the intended purpose for his 338wm is .

The new leupold vx-6 illuminated models are amazing. I have a number of them including on 338s. I'd suggest the 2-12x50 with illuminated dot in the duplex. You can get it for under 1,000 and I find it superior to the 3k German models. Good luck!

Regarding the Leupold scopes, I know people like the VX and VX2. For me, the quality of the adjustment dials are poor - very very mushy. To get to the models where you can hear and feel clicks, it starts at the VX3. If that's not in your budget, I'd probably go with a Nikon, Vortex, or some of the Bushnells

I have a VX6 and a VX3 and recommend both.

On my old Sako I have a Leupold LPS 2,5-10x45 . Just love ti.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross