steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
I don't know why I try to fill every rifle niche in my arsenal, yet at the same time only own one pistol--a measly 380 Keltech! I really ought to remedy that, since I am far more likely to get charged by a felon than a Cape buffalo in the grand scheme of things. Well...I don't want to piddle around trading up along the way, so I ask: "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I GET TO CRY ONCE, BE DONE WITH IT, AND BE COMPLETELY SATISFIED?" (anything 45 cal. and down)

BTW, I want it to be ACCURATE

Hellcat. Striker fired pistol, subcompact with highest magazine capacity.
Accuracy is comparable with full size pistols of longer barrels and longer sight radius. Despite the light weight and subcompact size, recoil in 9mm version is mild, and very manageable, joy to shoot.
I tested it few times, 9mm version. They have also 45 acp, this i did not shoot.
Photo from internet, optional model with red dot base. (RDR red dot ready)
springfield-hellcat-osp-pro-9mm-37-15-rd-semi-auto.jpg

There are many good answers to your question.
The best answer is "it depends".
Well, it doesn't have to be concealed carry in Texas, so I guess anything up to apocalyptic usage.

If you are defending yourself against a felon charging you as opposed to getting into a full scale gain fire superiority shoot-out i would pick a firearm with which you have complete confidence and that is simple enough in operation that it can be fired with very little mental processing. For me that would be a K frame (or equivalent) S&W or a Colt Python, either in 357 mag.

My most accurate pistol is a S&W Model 29 .44 Mag with a 6.5” barrel. 50 yards accurate.

Is this something you’re planning to carry with you? If you’d like to shoot some pistols, I’m in Fort Worth…

Steve,
It depends on your requirements, abilities, and such and since some of those will change over time, etc.
For instance I prefer my 4 inch 44 mag in cross draw rig for driving around the hunting properties. For my primary transportation car a slimmer auto or 5 shot 38 may do. For a utv, my 6 inch barreled .357, and so and so forth. While out and about in Texas , my sidearm must be able to shoot snake shot and anti personnel ammo and there fore it must be a revolver.
I could go on, you surely get the picture. You will enjoy selecting and shooting multiple hand guns and also selecting the ammo and holsters for same.

WAB,
Also old school, but S&W model 39. My wife also shoots a 39 and out scored me on our concealed carry shooting test by a point or two (I blamed it on the ammo).

Honestly go to a gun shop and hold them all in you hands. Go from a low ready and find a spot on the wall you want to aim at. Some will point naturally and some won't. The ones that do point are the ones you need to consider.

S&W M&P
Glock
Springfield XD
Springfield Hellcat
H&K VP9

Now here is the thing that most do not talk about. Once you get a pistol, consider taking a class or 2. It is a different perspective when you have stressors added to the equation. If you truly want it for the reasons you are starting, a good class is worth going to. My .02

Do you prefer striker or hammer fired? If hammer single or double action.
My Colt 1911 is my favorite pistol by far, but for defensive use I like my Sig P226. I think a 4” 357 would be very good as well and likely one of the more accurate choices.

I don't know why I try to fill every rifle niche in my arsenal, yet at the same time only own one pistol--a measly 380 Keltech! I really ought to remedy that, since I am far more likely to get charged by a felon than a Cape buffalo in the grand scheme of things. Well...I don't want to piddle around trading up along the way, so I ask: "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I GET TO CRY ONCE, BE DONE WITH IT, AND BE COMPLETELY SATISFIED?" (anything 45 cal. and down)

BTW, I want it to be ACCURATE
A 45 or 38 Super 1911 the best simplest most reliable pistol ever made. no plastic, no stupid double action, or de cocking system. They just work!

A 45 or 38 Super 1911 the best simplest most reliable pistol ever made. no plastic, no stupid double action, or de cocking system. They just work!
1911 TYPE IN 4.25 OR 5 INCH. TRIED AND PROVEN FOR OVER 100 YEARS. Most copied style ever invented.

The problem is unless you train, train,train with that platform you are opening yourself up for failure. Personally would not recommend that platform for self defense for a beginner.
You have to flip the safety, you have to make a good purchase on the beaver tail safety. In a high stress situation that platform has a lot more moving parts. If you have to pull it, you better know how to make it go bang in a fluid motion. It is easy to do on a square range, under stress in a different story.

I love my 1911s, a 45 for a new shooter is more recoil to contend with, more moving parts, and more maintenance to keep up with. Even if you consider a 1911 or 2011 platform in 9mm. More going on there then a beginner needs to worry about.

Reliability, ease of use, and pricing, would lean towards the striker fire pistols. Have had all flavors of pistols from 400.00 Glocks to an 8k in Custom 1911. The other question you have to ask yourself. If you do, God forbid use it in a self defense situation. The police will take it as evidence, are you good with your pistol sitting in an evidence locker for possible years? When I say good, I mean your investment may not come back to you in the same condition. You can read the stories. It is just something to think about.

Plenty of options already mentioned here. I would second the comments about practice and quality training schools. It’s amazing what happens when you shoot under stress with a handgun.
I am a fan of semi autos and there’s plenty of quality ones to choose from. I favor Glocks, but lots of fish in the sea. I wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm for self defense.

I do disagree about revolvers jamming less from a prior post, unless I was reading it wrong. Quality semi-autos are more reliable in most settings. Plus, 6 cartridges vs 10-20 cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg