Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
My wife is ready to move up to a .30 caliber rifle and I thought it would be good to see what the collective here thinks.
We have come up with (more than) a few requirements, some are deal breakers others not so much.
Let us know what you think and would suggest.

Requirements
30-06 or 300 Win Mag
Controlled round feed
3 round minimum magazine capacity, but would prefer 4 or 5.
Top loading magazine with drop floor plate (blind magazine would be fine as well)
Stainless steel action and barrel
Synthetic or laminate stock (sorry guys, plan on hunting more than Africa with this one)
Preferred double square bridge action or QR scope ring compatible
Rifle weight less than 7.5# before scope and rings

Needs that could be added or modified
20-24” barrel
LOP 12.5-13” (It’s for my wife)
Barrel threaded 1/2”-28 or 5/8”-24 for use with suppressor
Iron sights would be really nice, but not a make or break option

Like to keep the price of rifle and mods under $3K.

Montana Rifle Co. Xtreme Elite X3 with Tally rings. You may have to have the LOP adjusted but MRC could probably handle that when you order.

Montana Rifle Co. Xtreme Elite X3 with Tally rings. You may have to have the LOP adjusted but MRC could probably handle that when you order.
How do you feel about the X3 vs the CBE rifle?

Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06. Comes with Stainless and laminate, 20" threaded barrel, and adjustable stock via spacers. And iron sights. And it is very economical.

I believe it also comes in 300 win mag but have to ask "why"? A 30-06 will do almost everything the 300 will except for extreme long range and with a 20" barrel, are you really getting any more out of it other than more bang and flame?

Then go all out on the scope and suppressor. Get her a great pair of binos if she hasn't allready got them. Nice women's camo, backpack....

The same rifle with a few added features. The “wood” looking synthetic stock and cerakote finish are the main ones. You just have to decide if that is worth the extra $800. I’d rather put it toward another hunt or a better scope.

+1 for the MRC. With your wish list, that seems like the most likely option that satisfies those requirements.
Just a quick comment on the barrel thread. It is not a good idea to put a 1/2-28 thread on .30 cals. The reason being, one day down the road someone else may own the rifle, and without thinking or possibly with no knowledge, screw a .223 can on there. .30 cal bullets don’t like those tiny little .22 cal bores. Stick with 5/8-24 and all will be well. :)
Happy shopping! (y)

Was in the same boat a while back, commissioned a build for the wife but went with a 300 H&H. LOP is shorter like you stated and the swell is thinner for her hands. Fits her great and I get to shoot if she isn't looking:)
Best of luck and look forward to hearing what you ended up going with.

@BeeMaa Have you got her to handle any rifles within your stated specification, either with or without a scope fitted? I suggest general handling, including closing her eyes (with gun unloaded and bolt removed) and bringing each rifle up to point of aim, from a general hunting carry and then opening her eyes.
These are critical tests that (with all due respect) you have not mentioned doing. Your talk of a 20-24” barrel is also suggestive (to me) of same.
Hope it all goes well. By the way, is she the better shot? :)

@BeeMaa Have you got her to handle any rifles within your stated specification, either with or without a scope fitted? I suggest general handling, including closing her eyes (with gun unloaded and bolt removed) and bringing each rifle up to point of aim, from a general hunting carry and then opening her eyes.
These are critical tests that (with all due respect) you have not mentioned doing. Your talk of a 20-24” barrel is also suggestive (to me) of same.
My (ex)wife was having a very difficult time finding a rifle to fit her, much less a rifle and s ope combination where the scope came up so she could see through it.

Took her to Reeds in Walker MN and that salesman went all out. He tried about everything in the store including a Savage Lady Hunter. Finally found the Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 that had just arrived. He took out the stock spacers to shorten the LOP and she loved it. I thought she should have a Swarovski scope and he mounted one up. It was just not working for her. As a last ditch effort he mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 and that was the match that worked for her.

A side note is she went to Africa, shot 5 critters and decided she had been there done that and was done hunting so gave the gun to our Godson. He's shot several deer with it growing up and is over 6' now but with the stock spacers he can still get it to fit him:)

Take a look at Kimber. I have a Kimber mountain ascent and a Kimber hunter. Both shoot very well and are light. The thin barrels require an adaptor to get to a standard size threading with a suppressor.
I think Kimber must be very similar to a Montana rifle co.. with that said, i’d Buy the Montana rifle co since they are a sponsor here.

Mod 70 Extreme Weather s/s? Would need to be the 30-06 though - the Win Mag has a 26” barrel.

Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06. Comes with Stainless and laminate, 20" threaded barrel, and adjustable stock via spacers. And iron sights. And it is very economical.

I believe it also comes in 300 win mag but have to ask "why"? A 30-06 will do almost everything the 300 will except for extreme long range and with a 20" barrel, are you really getting any more out of it other than more bang and flame?

Then go all out on the scope and suppressor. Get her a great pair of binos if she hasn't allready got them. Nice women's camo, backpack....
The Ruger Guide Gun is one of the front runners at the moment, and yes it is a good value.

I would probably go with a 20-22" for the 30-06 and 24" barrel in 300WM to make use of the extra juice in the Win Mag.

She has a Trijicon 4-16x50 and a Dead Air Sandman to kit it out, so that's all set.
Has "not too bad" binos, doesn't wear camo (prefers earth tones) and will not let me near her hunting pack...she loves it.

Was in the same boat a while back, commissioned a build for the wife but went with a 300 H&H. LOP is shorter like you stated and the swell is thinner for her hands. Fits her great and I get to shoot if she isn't looking:)
Best of luck and look forward to hearing what you ended up going with.
You commissioned a build...gonna need some details.
Thinking Granite Mountain Action, Krieger Barrel and AAA English Walnut?

Can it be done for the $3K ball park or do I need a second mortgage?
I'm thinking if I need to ask the price, it's out of my range.

You commissioned a build...gonna need some details.
Thinking Granite Mountain Action, Krieger Barrel and AAA English Walnut?

Can it be done for the $3K ball park or do I need a second mortgage?
I'm thinking if I need to ask the price, it's out of my range.

Went with a VZ24 action, Douglas air gauged blank turned/chambered by my smith, NECG front flip down hooded site and rear 3 leaf, barrel band. Used a blank I had that she liked and is roughly 70% + figured.
Send me a PM and we can chat. Full custom is a lot more affordable then most folks think but obviously more then a production rifle BUT in the end you have a rifle that is EXACTLY how you want it to be.

Anyone here have experience with Legendary Arms Works?
Considering their Professional II.
Much like MRC, they will shorten LOP, barrel and thread...for additional $$ of course.

Currently under consideration (in no particular order)
Ruger Guide Gun
Winchester M70 Extreme Stainless
MRC X3
Legendary Arms Prof II
Kimber Mountain Ascent
Full on custom jobbie...but we shall see

I can highly recommend .30-06 .
.300 Win Mag , l cannot comment on , since l have no experience with :) .
The biggest expert on .30-06 rifles l know, is my father , Manuel Delgado . He has only ever done all his hunting with .30-06 rifles . He currently owns 3 : A Winchester Model 70, a Semi Auto Browning Safari Mark II and an Enfield 1917 sporterized .
In regards to .30-06 , Bee Ma , l would highly recommend a Winchester Model 70 . Your wife could comfortably shoot it :) . The first gun l bought my wife was coincidentally a Winchester .308 Model 70 and she loves it immensely.
Also , if you come across a good condition Enfield 1917 in .30-06 , l would highly recommend it. My Dad used his in India on Animals as large as Gaur ( Indian Bison ) with success. Very robust weapon with 220 grain Remington Core Lokt rounds . Very comfortable handling too . Even my 12 year old son could fire it when he was still alive.

She does need to handle the rifles, you are absolutely correct.
My job is to narrow the field to 4-5 contenders and then see how she feels about them.
This is not a rush job, we are taking our time with it.
Have a few shows we are going to this Winter that will allow her to handle just about everything she wants.

If our last Safari is any indication, YES...she is the better shot.
Dropped this Kudu at 100 yards with a high neck shot (270WIN with 150gr SAF's), never took another step.
PH about crapped his pants when she told him that she was aiming for the high neck/spine shot.
Yep, definitely the better shot.
And as such, she deserves the absolute best I can get her.

If I were doing this I would get a m70 featherweight because the 22 inch barrel and then get a McMillan stock. I believe they will make any length of pull of you request it. No iron sights, but it fits the other requirements nicly

If I were doing this I would get a m70 featherweight because the 22 inch barrel and then get a McMillan stock. I believe they will make any length of pull of you request it. No iron sights, but it fits the other requirements nicly
Sorry I forgot the threaded barrel I guess you could have it threaded.
Thanks Wyatt.
The M70 Featherweight Stainless is a strong contender based on several points.
The M70 being such a common rifle is certainly one of them.
This makes parts easier to find and mods more simple (with a little AH help) along with assistance with common issues.

Having a barrel trimmed to the length I want and threaded is no big deal.
But if I don't have to pay extra for it because it's already done...that's a plus for me.
Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.