Rifle rentals, how much?

I think the duct tape is a great idea. We had a Heym representative hunt with us. I noticed that he arrived with his expensive Heyms in a metal case taped and left the same way. Did the same with the case his Leica cameras, spotting scope and binoculars were in.
It’s not the prettiest but it does work good. It will extend the life of the case for sure.

This shall actually be quite an interesting thread to follow. On my 2021/2022 plains game safari to Namibia , I shall be taking along my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum and my 12 Bore ( 2 3/4 inch chamber ) William Wellington Greener side by side Wildfowl Gun. The 7 millimeter Remington Magnum shall see use on Kudu , Sable, Impala, Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Gemsbok, Waterbuck and Warthog.
The 12 Bore shall see use on guinea fowl , sand grouse ,ducks and geese . With English AAA cartridges , the 12 Bore shall also see use upon the tiny ten ( such as Duiker and Dik Dik ) .
However, I do intend to be renting a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum from my outfitter , for the purposes of hunting my bull eland. Those things look a little bit too imposing for my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum. I really like @mark-hunter ‘s suggestion.
Carry on , gentlemen .

That may be so, but a simple email with confirmation pictures of rifles available and at what cost could easily resolve that before deciding...

Proper communication is key to a successful Safari, before during and after that is.

I became a PH in 1986 already, so I’m aware of proper communication etc. However when looking at a photo you are unable to recognize that the mount of one telescope is damaged, you could move the scope in any direction...

The other scope was damaged inside. It wasn‘t possible to zero in the two rifles properly. Hearing protection was unavailable. Both rifles are the PH’s own rifle. Well...

Dear Lon,
I can say, this is quite good inventory! Especially with such regulations! Congrats!(y)

I have question:
Based on years of your experience, how frequently do you have clients coming for safari, with rifles delayed, damaged, or lost, or with lost or delayed ammunition in a separate case?
Or clients coming to safari, that for any reason not mentioned before were not able to use their rifles, but had to use camp rifles?
Does it happen sometimes, how often?
hi Mark

ive had this happen on a few occasions
once- stock broken, rifle unusable
a few times rifle never showed up, got delivered to Alldays by a courier a day or two later, i think once it never arrived at all

clients all used our weapons and claimed cost from airline

I really like @mark-hunter ‘s suggestion.
Thank you, sir.
To summarize, for me, personally, for plains game hunt, rental rifle will suffice or even will be preferred, but for DG, my own, 375H&H (yet to acquire), and for price policy of renting in the camp, I mentioned that in first reply, two suggestions.

It goes without saying, I appreciate solid, working, hunting rifle tool, and when rented I treat them even with more care, then maybe my own, more then average due diligence, of course!

ive had this happen on a few occasions
Dear Stuart,

Thanks for info.
I remember talking with a gentlemen working at airport, on these possible problems, and my (then theoretical) concerns. At that time I still have not yet traveled with firearms for my 2 safaris.
He said, when rifle is declared, on all manifests it is very well marked., and generally airline carriers take good care, above the average care for other luggage.

But, obviously on occasion, it still happens, as you mentioned.

Thanks, again! (y)

Here is a situation that takes place on a regular basis. A client books his hunt through his favorite PH. The PH who is independent works through a Safari/concession holder. This can result in the Safari operator being kept somewhat in the dark and communications suffer. We have one excellent PH who works with us and is especially good on Leopard, I believe he prefers that you use (not rent) one of his rifle, I do not remember the make but it is in .338 Mag with a Zeiss scope. It is sighted for 50yds. I do know other PHs who's second rifle and or scope leave something to be desired. Communications are so important, client, PH & operator.

I've hunted in 3 countries and rented a rifle in each of them. I tried to bring mine on one of the hunts, but getting the paperwork done included getting a certified translated copy of a bunch of forms. Ended up being to difficult. Out of the 3 rentals, 2 worked out well. The 3rd one, the rifle was not up to standards. Even the PH who owned the gun had difficulty cycling the bolt for a follow up shot, and a trigger pull of a few ounces is just to light for me. This hunt was done thru a booking agent, the other 2 I dealt directly with the outfitter and the guns were the outfitter's.

I can see that I got a few peoples attention! At least I did not ask if you would expect to pay more for controlled feed (just kidding)!

Of course at the end of the day nothing is free, it is just how it is packaged. As I have stated we are all inclusive except firearm and ammo rental, with advance notice, we actually include the cost of National Parks Rangers, but we refund all days that the Parks Ranger is not required.

Dudders stated that guns and optics should be of good quality, I agree totally. We use top of the line M-70s, Rigby & Jefferies as rentals or loaners depending on circumstances. Ammo is normally Federal Premium. Optics Swarovski only. Possibly some outfitters make a profit from renting firearms and selling ammo, I know we sure do not but it is part of doing business.

With what is happening with airlines and the problems encountered in South Africa more and more hunters are going to renting or using firearms procured at their final destination. Then there are hunters that get a flight for considerably less if they fly on an airline that does not handle firearms.
Tokoloshe Safaris
I took my own rifle to Namibia as,I had it built just for that. Two other blokes rented rifles @ 30 dollars Australian per day plus ammo. It actually worked out cheaper than taking my own. SA airlines was $160 American each way handling.
His rifles were all Tikka with swarovski Z6 scopes. I personally feel his price was good as you have to take into account wear and tear plus God forgive damages.
Next time I will be hiring a rifle but take my own ammo and leave the leftovers for the outfitter.
Cheers mate Bob

It’s sounding like we/clients would be happy with. Flat fee arrangement.
If a Sako cost $2500 here and a Swarovski Z6 cost probably the same or like at least $3000 U.S. and you want to hire that to me for $100 per week or part of that’s ok so let’s say you can get 20 hires in year for $150 that’s gonna pay it’s way each year but with some loss, downtime, maintenance or discounts you should be ok and paying $200 hassle free travel is ok. Thrown in ammo or if ammo is the cost factor make it user pays and lower the rifle hire if it is carried more than used.
I hope that helps the OP and others that will hunt Africa regularly feel that is a fair option.
If you want to hire a $1000 setup that shooters re happy with and you are not precious about it being a camp rifle hire it at a competitive cost. Example in Australia I could have a Howa with a reliable scope for $1000 Aussie but many hunters appreciate nice optics as we get into the age bracket we need them we also moving to that point in life we can fund a safari or buy a scope worth a grand. On a cull hunt I would accept a functional like rifle for cheap hire but when a Sako was offered I was impressed and still had a cheap daily hire. Ammo was thrown in and no t wasted
As a shooter and not trophy hunter I like nice rifles but Cn still get results with my Howa .223.
If hire rate is proportionate to quality or market value then we should expect to pay.
CBH
Chris you got ripped off with that Howa. I paid $650 for my son's Howa with scope, mounts and a gun bag.
My trip to Namibia ended up costing about 400 bucks in handling fees with SA airlines. If I go again I will just hire the outfits 300 win mag or 375. Even tho I had no hassles at all it would be easier to do it the way you did. I just couldn't leave the Whelen at home after I had it built for t huge trip.
On top of the handling fee you have to have an approved rifle case so add on $ 600 for a pelican 1750 gun case.
Cheers mate Bob

I am glad to see there are some savy outfitters on here!
I will only say this once to all you renters WTF good are your rifles/guns if you leave them at home? Why did you buy them ? why do you practice with them? If you are worried about them insure them. yes it is hassles, yes it costs, but a few hundred dollars but that is nothing in the cost of a safari or the cost of one wounded and lost animal because you are shooting a strange gun that at you are not used to, etc. sorry that's just a fools folly in my humble opinon!
Buckdog
I agree with 99% of what you said but if you are a good shot to start with if you borrow a reasonable set up that's accurate,sight it in you should still be a good shot.
If you drive a stick shift at home you should be able to drive a different stick shift elsewhere.
Cheers mate Bob

Bob, I bought my Howa , maybe 12 years ago. The $1000 with scope was an example thinking Cleavers might be $650 and scope >$300

I think I paid more than $650 anyway.

My Brother bought the early imports of Howa stamped Australian Mountaineer say 32 years ago. He may have paid more then in fact we think he did. Doesn’t equate but I think that was the retail and like Remington would have been easily sourced but comparably dearer.

My wife has the Howa made “Weatherby Girls Hunt 2 “ in .243 that is a great little rifle. Purchased secondhand unforced about $650 apart from pink webbing on the stock it is the Bell and Carson stock so a bit stiffer than the average synthetic with stock spacer as the shorter length of pull suits her.

Tokoloshe Safaris
I took my own rifle to Namibia as,I had it built just for that. Two other blokes rented rifles @ 30 dollars Australian per day plus ammo. It actually worked out cheaper than taking my own. SA airlines was $160 American each way handling.
His rifles were all Tikka with swarovski Z6 scopes. I personally feel his price was good as you have to take into account wear and tear plus God forgive damages.
Next time I will be hiring a rifle but take my own ammo and leave the leftovers for the outfitter.
Cheers mate Bob
I think your making the correct decision. I do not say that because I like or make money renting rifles. I say it because, #1 we know that you rifle and ammo is going to arrive on time because it is already here. #2 It is already sighted in although the client should take a couple of shots at a paper target before he goes to the bush.

I believe the day will come where traveling internationally with a firearm will be anywhere from very difficult to impossible. If I want to stay in business then I better have rental firearms and ammunition. I know that most hunters want to use their own rifle and I do not blame them and there may be the hunter who will not hunt unless he can do it with his own firearm, so be it.

Do find out what kind of firearm that your PH or outfitter will have for you and of course LOP is very important. I always have a selection of not only slip on recoil pads, but prefitted recoil pads measuring anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/2" this means most of our rifle LOP can be changed from 12 3/4 to 15 1/4. All of our scopes are scopes are Swarovski with good eye relief which we hope does not get the dust wiped off the glass with a handkerchief or shirt tails, aagghhh!

Bob, I bought my Howa , maybe 12 years ago. The $1000 with scope was an example thinking Cleavers might be $650 and scope >$300

I think I paid more than $650 anyway.

My Brother bought the early imports of Howa stamped Australian Mountaineer say 32 years ago. He may have paid more then in fact we think he did. Doesn’t equate but I think that was the retail and like Remington would have been easily sourced but comparably dearer.

My wife has the Howa made “Weatherby Girls Hunt 2 “ in .243 that is a great little rifle. Purchased secondhand unforced about $650 apart from pink webbing on the stock it is the Bell and Carson stock so a bit stiffer than the average synthetic with stock spacer as the shorter length of pull suits her.
CBH
Chris got mine on sale at Horsley park. The Weatherby you got was good value. Cmc, Smith and Wesson 1500, Howa, weatherby vanguard all the same. Bloody good rifles great price.
Pity they don't make one in the Whelen ha ha ha ha
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg