Rifle likes a dirty barrel?

Thanks for all the valuable feedback!

I follow the bulk of the procedures highlighted here.

I just really thought it was interesting that it took my rifle 20 rounds to settle down.

That being said I had a great discussion with a retired gentleman at our gun-club who shoots everyday as a rule.

He has a custom built 243 and is a long range shooter, which at our club is the 300 yard gong. He normally shoots a box of ammo per session. (Unless someone distracts him in a conversation!)

Anyway his cleaning procedure is after every session he sends up one patch with solvent to take out the powder fouling and then dry patches until bore is dry. He follows with one oiled patch and calls it good. Next day at range he drys patches out oil.

In his own word he only cleans for copper fouling," when the rifle tells him by opening up the groups". His experience is that that takes about 500 rounds!

I know every rifle is different but I may never clean out copper fouling again on my Mark X!
I hope I didn't put the jinx on my Mark X by cleaning the barrel. I'd hate to re-zero my 375

I had a Remington 7600 that did pretty much the same thing (.30-06) After a thorough cleaning, it would be all over the place, but after 5-10 rounds, it would settle down and shoot right. I would take it to the range right before deer season and didn't clean the barrel until the season ended!

I guess I'm with Eric on this, I clean my firearms quite often ,more out of guilt. Thoroughly cleaned if they are going to be in the safe a while before I shoot them again. The ones I shoot often still get thoroughly cleaned about once everything 3 to 4 weeks, but between shooting sessions it's just a bore snake.

Moral of the story...know your rifle.

Yes, all my rifles like a dirty barrel. Until there's to much dirt and accuracy drops off, the same with a clean barrel. There is a sweet spot of dirt.

YMMV

My Winchester M70 likes a dirty barrel. May run a brush in it but no liquid until season is over. I also skip one session at the range and let the barrel cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross