Rifle for daughters first trip?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Ryanlo, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Grady

Grady AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, IHEA
    Hunted:
    US, Germany, RSA
    This is probably the best piece of advice in all the replies, followed closely by rookhawk's advice (Ladies stock).

The 6.5 CM is a fine caliber, in fact I shot my Kudu with mine, after a not so stellar shot with my bow.

As someone who just took my daughter to RSA, the thing that worked for her, was that she got to choose the rifle (.308) that she wanted to shoot and that made it even more enjoyable for the both of us. I let her try out different ones (6.5CM, 30-06, 25-06, 270, 308, 300WM) While she them all pretty well, she enjoyed and shot the .308 the best and that was her choice. Because of that, she also claimed MY 308 as her own (a small price for me to pay). She is average size for a young woman (17yo, 5'7") and did not need the ladies stock. She shot an Impala, Blesbok, Warthog, Red Hartebeest and Nyala) All only needed one shot. (168gr Barnes TTSX, 43.3 gr Varget)

Bottom line, let her shoot different rifles if you are able, let he make the decision on her primary rifle, it will make the trip that much more enjoyable for her which means you will probably enjoy it more also. Since you said she has/can shoot your 404, she can us that on the bigger animals if her choice is a little light in your opinion.

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Doc Lightning:

If you buy a new rifle in any caliber, you'd be wise to select several flavors of ammo to see what that rifle likes and what it doesn't like. Ammo that does well in one of your current rifles may not group well in a new rifle. Barrel length, twist rate and several other parameters come into play.

Two bullets or ammo I'd look at is the Hornady Superformance 139 SST. About $29/box at Midway. I'd also look at the Swift Scirocco, but at twice the cost it is a bit pricey. Lastly, I'd shoot some good old Remington Core-Lokt to at least break in the barrel and sight in the rifle. I actually used Core-Lokt in a rental gun from a PH in Zim and had one shot kills on Blue Wildebeest, Waterbuck and Impala. I've killed a lot of deer with Core-Lokt ammo too.

3. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    This is right on the money; if you reload you won't find a better than the 7x57, as others have mentioned there are some restrictions in Africa on the use of 6.5's. You can start off with a mild load using 140 grain pills and then move up as she becomes proficient. I've got four 7x57 and love them all.