Rifle doesn't like Woodleigh

@Pheroze
Instead of lowering the charge try going up .most magnums like to be run at full throttle to gine the best. I would work up carefully and see what happens.
Bob.
Interesting, I was wondering that too. The primers at 73 gr (max in the woodleigh manual) are absolutely fine. I have loaded for the bottom of the ladder. If no love then higher it is! When I load at load data for the 308 NM in various texts, it seems to typically sit in that mid- 2800 to mid 2900 , so I am thinking maybe 28ish is the right place to be as shown by my A Frames

Interesting day. Fixed COL, didn't crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp, and no Magnetospeed applied

67.5gr - 2.73"
70.0 gr - 2.12"
70.5 gr - 1.27"
71.0 gr - 2.45"

So, things are looking better(y). Still not where I want to be, but not the crazy group from before. Hopefully, I can shave a half-inch off of that group with some work.

A couple of interesting points came up. The powder weight is best at the same weight that is best for the A-Frames, although the A-Frame group was 0.773" with 70.5 gr. I am going to fiddle between 70gr and 71 gr and see if they tighten up. The other thought I had was what @fourfive8 said about a bad load of bullets. I decided not to crimp because I was suspicious that a too heavy a crimp with the LFC deformed the bullet a bit:unsure:. Anyways, with that long neck, I am sure a crimp is not necessary.

Thanks for listening folks:)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.49.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.49.40 PM.png
    451.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.49.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 1.49.42 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 51
That is all good and a very classic result of a ladder test. If it is repeatable, then I think it points to the load that your barrel is happy with- the zigs-zags of harmonics. I'd say 1.3" is perfectly acceptable. Where things get head scratching dicy is when a ladder test shows random results :) :)

sounds like overcrimping might have been the issue?
bruce.
I am actually strongly favouring that idea. After everything I have read here about crimping, I doubt I will do it again, unless it is shown to be needed.

I know some loaders crimp into the sidewall of a bullet where no cannelure exists. I have felt the resistance trying to do it with the Lee FCD and decided that's a no go for me. Just too much pressure and it didn't seem right. So the only place I'll crimp is into a groove or cannelure designed for the purpose. But, I've never noticed any degradation of accuracy by crimping into a paper location. I'm not sure the crimp was the issue with the load that produced the large group or not... possibly, if it was the only variable that was changed to shoot the ladder with the one good group in it @ 1.3" ?? Never say never though. :)

Looking at that ladder data, assuming the ladder data is reflective of a true minimum, I would say increasing the charge with that powder and bullet combination would likely not produce another "sweet spot" different from the one at 1.3". Could happen with the way harmonics work, but not likely while staying within normal pressure ranges. Be interesting to see how this plays out with the A Frames.

possibly, if it was the only variable that was changed

I also changed the COL. When I measured again with the Sinclair tool, I moved the bullets forward a little more than 0.02.

Be interesting to see how this plays out with the A Frames.

I had already built an A-Frame load, the bullets are set back farther (I used the same COL with the Woodies originally, which was part of the error. It seems A-Frames like to be set farther back) . The group was .77 with the same powder charge. But, that is why I knew something was strange with the way the Woodleighs were flying.

Fixed the bitch! Woodleighs are now printing at 2" at 200 yards. I was never one to admit defeat:mad: (I am only shooting the 200 yard range now). Off for a couple more Mahanttans and the Canadian Thanksgiving (proper Thanksgiving btw don't believe the fake news to the contrary)

Fixed the bitch! Woodleighs are now printing at 2" at 200 yards. I was never one to admit defeat:mad: (I am only shooting the 200 yard range now). Off for a couple more Mahanttans and the Canadian Thanksgiving (proper Thanksgiving btw don't believe the fake news to the contrary)
@Pheroze
What did you do to fix it
Bob

What is the twist rate?
1:10
@Pheroze
What did you do to fix it
Bob
I also moved them closer to the lands. The COL made a difference, but the the group was a lateral pattern. I looked at the suggestions here and checked the screws. I tightened the bedding screws - they were loose as suggested. I called my gunsmith and torqued them to what he suggested. Then voila! A moose load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.