Rifle case for Africa

That's actually not entirely correct, but I stated it in the slang use of the term. Technically, the Civil Aviation Act and Patriot Act created administrative authority to the TSA to make your day lousy. It includes fines and penalties as outlined solely by their interpretations. So unlike a law where you get your day in court, you deal with a kangaroo court on administrative violations:

Yeah, I deal with ALJs plenty, I get that part for sure.

Pelican cases are fine, I've used one for ammo on 15 trips or so and its beat to hell but still functional. The issue I have with Pelican gun cases is that to get the optimal protection, you need to cut the foam to fit your gun. If you change guns or accessories, you lose your fit.

If you're a one-gun guy you're going to be just fine. If you're swapping out your arms based on the hunt, the americase style gives you a bit more flexibility.

I can't remember the site but there is one that sells replacement foam. Yeah, it gets a little pricey but I guess when you're talking rifle setups of $3000+ its not bad for another sheet of top layer foam for $60. I've also watched a few videos where they save the "plugs" from the old cutout and fit them back in as base foam in a pinch. I'm not there yet but maybe in the future. I have to cut my foam soon.

The Americase cases sure look nice, though.

I can't remember the site but there is one that sells replacement foam. Yeah, it gets a little pricey but I guess when you're talking rifle setups of $3000+ its not bad for another sheet of top layer foam for $60. I've also watched a few videos where they save the "plugs" from the old cutout and fit them back in as base foam in a pinch. I'm not there yet but maybe in the future. I have to cut my foam soon.

I bought a full replacement foam set for my Pelican 1700 on Amazon for about $50. Free shipping to AK with Prime. The box was big enough to serve as a boat or a bed or a helicopter (so she claims) for my granddaughter. A big win all around!

I bought a full replacement foam set for my Pelican 1700 on Amazon for about $50. Free shipping to AK with Prime. The box was big enough to serve as a boat or a bed or a helicopter (so she claims) for my granddaughter. A big win all around!

You really can't beat that. $50 per firearm isn't terrible at all.

For what its worth, I contacted Americase again about doing a run of the 3-gun safari cases and they are sharpening their pencils. Last time we asked they wanted $1100, the economy has changed and the cost of aluminum has gone down a fair amount since then, so they might have a better answer for this group a year later.

For what its worth, I contacted Americase again about doing a run of the 3-gun safari cases and they are sharpening their pencils. Last time we asked they wanted $1100, the economy has changed and the cost of aluminum has gone down a fair amount since then, so they might have a better answer for this group a year later.
Did they stop building gun cases all together or do they still do them on a custom basis?

I was under the impression they didn’t build them anymore.

Did they stop building gun cases all together or do they still do them on a custom basis?

I was under the impression they didn’t build them anymore.

They build airline equipment cases today. They ceased building gun cases. There is zero difference between an equipment case and a gun case. I politely explained they blew it by what they did.

What their real problem was is inventory management. They were making huge amounts of gun cases in every size and configuration (and bows, and shotguns) and they then had to warehouse them for years on end to run through the excess inventory from doing a run of a given case. THAT was their problem. Also dealing with retail customers, plus selling online, plus managing a dealer network.

So I said to them, "okay, just do one run of one thing in large quantity using parts and materials you already have on the shelf and we'll do an allocation with you, make us AT-3GUN rolling safari cases". I figured after they get deposits or payment in full for the cases, they can do a run and everybody is happy.

Eventually, they'll realize this and our case woes will be solved for awhile.

They build airline equipment cases today. They ceased building gun cases. There is zero difference between an equipment case and a gun case. I politely explained they blew it by what they did.

What their real problem was is inventory management. They were making huge amounts of gun cases in every size and configuration (and bows, and shotguns) and they then had to warehouse them for years on end to run through the excess inventory from doing a run of a given case. THAT was their problem. Also dealing with retail customers, plus selling online, plus managing a dealer network.

So I said to them, "okay, just do one run of one thing in large quantity using parts and materials you already have on the shelf and we'll do an allocation with you, make us AT-3GUN rolling safari cases". I figured after they get deposits or payment in full for the cases, they can do a run and everybody is happy.

I hope so! I really like their product. I maybe on board with something. Unfortunately I already have a custom 3 gun case. I will have to set this one out.

@rookhawk, if Amreicase comes to their senses and offers them at a fair price, I am in. I already have one as I stated earlier in this post but I would buy one for my son.

Hi @BeeMaa, thank for the heads-up! And even though I have one now, if the pricing is reasonable I am in for another either for my son or for a friend of mine that might want one as well. I have only been on one trip to Africa with my new AT-3Gun case but I love it and it did a great job of protecting my double and my 375 RUM.

They just need to utilize Lean manufacturing techniques and set up a Kanban for the various case sizes and use a demand pull signal to tell them when to manufacture certain case styles. That would help them with their inventory management issues.

They just need to utilize Lean manufacturing techniques and set up a Kanban for the various case sizes and use a demand pull signal to tell them when to manufacture certain case styles. That would help them with their inventory management issues.

Or just make a handful of sizes and call it a day. There is no reason for anyone to want a safari rifle case that is anything but the three gun model. If you only bring two guns, you have a spot for gunslips and sticks.

The shotgun guys with their desires for 800 styles pretty much killed their business and inventory management.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41130-REG/Pelican_1750_400_000_1751_Three_piece_Foam_Set.html

Replacement foam for lots of Pelican case sizes, but I got a second set of 1750 foam here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.34.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.34.47 AM.png
    730.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.34.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.34.52 AM.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 43
Or just make a handful of sizes and call it a day. There is no reason for anyone to want a safari rifle case that is anything but the three gun model. If you only bring two guns, you have a spot for gunslips and sticks.

The shotgun guys with their desires for 800 styles pretty much killed their business and inventory management.
I'd make them two sizes, the 2-gun and the 3-gun.
And actually they could probably make just a 2-gun+ (2 guns + space for shooting sticks) and call it a day. I don't think the market of people going on a safari and bringing three firearms is very thick.

a company in Calif called Cobra Foam has 3 piece sets foe about 60 when I got mine last year

How about these?

These are really nice cases, I have both Kalispel and Bear Track aluminum cases and both are extremely nice cases. The only issue I have with mine are they do not have wheels and I’m not as young or as strong as I once was!

These are really nice cases, I have both Kalispel and Bear Track aluminum cases and both are extremely nice cases. The only issue I have with mine are they do not have wheels and I’m not as young or as strong as I once was!

I just spoke with Fritz at Kalispel today. I asked if he would be interested in building a perfect copy of the Americase AT-3GUN rolling case at quantity. He's going to review the specs I sent him and get back with a quote at quantity 25+ for the forum. I'll let you know what he says and will post the final quote to the group if it seems viable.

I just spoke with Fritz at Kalispel today. I asked if he would be interested in building a perfect copy of the Americase AT-3GUN rolling case at quantity. He's going to review the specs I sent him and get back with a quote at quantity 25+ for the forum. I'll let you know what he says and will post the final quote to the group if it seems viable.
Any improvements on the Americase you would also incorporate?

Any improvements on the Americase you would also incorporate?

They had many iterations of the case. I think the last model I bought (their final run) was close to perfection. Specifically, the luggage racks and tie downs on top for your bags made it the very best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg