Rifle case for Africa

SKB here, has been on 5 airline trips and multiple car trips and has held up well.
Definitely get the wheeled version.

1679789197367.jpeg

I always take two guns to Africa. Pelican cases work well. Also take a 2 Soft Cases for the truck!!!
Do you pack the rifles in the soft cases within the hard case? Or pack in the checked luggage??? Reason I ask, on my last safari I didn’t have a soft case in the field and my rifle took a beating in the vehicle’s rack.

@Fixfire I put my soft cases and my aluminum ammo case into a medium duffle along with clothes that is my checked bag and carry on a C-ruck and small duffle for meds, pc, etc.

I have/use a wheeled, two gun Pelikan case that is 53" long. My safari rifles are 45" (404J) long. My Model 70 7mm RM is an inch longer. They both fit well in the case along with oddments including an Apple Air Tag, and I had zero problems traveling to and from Tanzania with this set up

I have a whole nother story about traveling with rifle cases at Tambo. But that is another thread and no fault of the case itself. Just the fault of the case owner (me) being naive.

This is another thread topic....for a different post.

My rifle case served me fine, but it attracted hustlers at the airport. It cost me some cash and sight of my rifle for a while which made me nervous on the return from Tambo. Nothing $20 didn't fix........Not everyone who claims to work at airport security really does work at airport security.

I am impressed by the cases on this shown on this site. Mine is stock factory. Nothing fancy. I should point out that the TSA agents took the foam liners out of my case when they inspected it. Its standard routine procedure.

Good travels everyone.

How about these?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.41.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.41.07 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.41.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.41.09 AM.png
    356.5 KB · Views: 74
I have used Pelican and TuffPac. Really like the TuffPac when taking 3 rifles. I can also put shooting sticks in with rifles. Will be using the TuffPac again this trip. It is cumbersome at first until you get used to it. Most think it is golf clubs and doesn't look like guns.

Anybody with experience with the kalispel safari 2 gun case?
It's a welded aluminum 2-gun case that weighs 25 lbs (empty) and doesn't have wheels. I'll make an assumption that 2 safari rifles (with scopes, slings and other kit) weigh in at 10 lbs each. This case is now 45 lbs, 5 lbs away from the limit and it still doesn't have wheels. Not sure about you, but I'm not wanting to carry this thing empty across an airport.

Long 2-gun cases like this really should have wheels. Not to mention the lack of recessed locks, spring loaded handles and heavy duty bumpers like the cases @rookhawk and @VertigoBE have. Both of theirs come from Americase, but they stopped making them a few years ago. Maybe you could find one on the used market.

Last edited:
Looks like the kalispels now come with wheels, and a single locking site.
0% chance I would use without wheels.
I have one in order due to tsa prying my last case open with a crow bar last trip and interrupting the seal. Suppose to be here in a couple weeks, will report back.

How about these?

One trip, a buddy took his similar sized aluminum case and got dinged $200 for oversize baggage.

I rented guns on my first trip to RSA. I have purchased a Pelican (original protector series) for the next trip as Americase is no longer an option. ----Side note 1: My SKB had a busted handle and a busted corner within my first 5 N.A. hunt trips. SKB no longer gets used on flights ---- Side Note 2: I once asked Jim Shockey what types of cases he uses for his trips around the world. Guns- Pelican, Bow- Cabelas

Last edited:
One trip, a buddy took his similar sized aluminum case and got dinged $200 for oversize baggage.
Yep, it can happen. Usually adding $100-150 per flight because it's considered "freight" due to being over the 62" linear limit. Most of the time you can get away with it, but have a plan (meaning budget) if you have a ticketing agent with a tape measure.

I have a whole nother story about traveling with rifle cases at Tambo. But that is another thread and no fault of the case itself. Just the fault of the case owner (me) being naive.

This is another thread topic....for a different post.

My rifle case served me fine, but it attracted hustlers at the airport. It cost me some cash and sight of my rifle for a while which made me nervous on the return from Tambo. Nothing $20 didn't fix........Not everyone who claims to work at airport security really does work at airport security.

I am impressed by the cases on this shown on this site. Mine is stock factory. Nothing fancy. I should point out that the TSA agents took the foam liners out of my case when they inspected it. Its standard routine procedure.

Good travels everyone.
If you have Bruce, the "Mayor" of Tambo, at your service, that hustle is a non starter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.23.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.23.10 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
What ever you decide make sure it has wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,