Rifle case for Africa

randallhebert

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Is a metal case required to transport a rifle to Africa or the pelican style plastic cases good

Pelican worked great for me. It has a few flights in the US, three to Hawaii, and one to Africa. It has held up great and I have never had damage or loss of zero to the rifles.

I have used a Pelican on 4 trips. No issues and the rifles all arrived still zeroed. Get the one with wheels--I think it's the 1750??--I was able to fit my scoped rifle--either 300 winmag or 416 Rigby--along with my 375H&H double, by taking the double apart and cutting space in the foam for the barrel and the stock, with room for the bolt of the scoped rifle.

Pelican. Use inexpensive pad locks in each hole. Get locks with a common key. Pack a spare key in luggage. Make sure lid compresses rifle enough to prevent movement during rough handling.

I used a Pelican clone from Harbor Freight, a half dozen drops that I saw and everything survived, and my rifle held it's zero.

As was said you need a lock into every spot that a lock will go, but you can get around that by cutting the extra tabs off of it.

I am a Tuffpak guy. But the Pelican (and others) style hard cases are very good cases and will work just fine.
If your asking if the plastic cases are "airline approved" it would be best to double check with your specific carrier (rules are all online) but I haven't heard one yet requires gun cases to be metal.....

Tiffpak and pelicans are the cases you see when you are in joberg picking up your firearm.
try to have a good identifier on your case.
I put some ribbons on my handle to set it apart from the other cases.
and still I had some one who thought it was their case.
make sure that you have wheels on your case.

I used an Americase for many trips, last year I switched over to the Pelican 1750 case, and I absolutely love it. Just know most all airlines do require you put a lock in all 4 lock holes.

Americase

In SA we buy Alpine, supurbly made welded aluminium cases. There is something about a locked metal case that puts the miscreants off, and of course they look good and work. Then a local company fits them out with velt covered rigid foam from your template so they look like a quality
British case.
32687E66-F110-4DEF-8A2E-4223B2FFE321.jpeg

I use tuffpak with ribbons tied on the handle and painted my initials and a stripe in fluorescent orange paint. I like it over pelican because of the lock and it doesn’t look like a rifle case.

Last trip I used a Pelican 1750 for two rifles and found it to be cumbersome and heavy. I’ve since switched to a Pelican 1700 for one rifle (multiple calibers) and it’s much more convenient for travel.

In SA we buy Alpine, supurbly made welded aluminium cases. There is something about a locked metal case that puts the miscreants off, and of course they look good and work. Then a local company fits them out with velt covered rigid foam from your template so they look like a quality
British case.
View attachment 524904

Wow, that’s taking it to the next level!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois