Rifle case for Africa

Oh my, all the unnecessary and imaginary straw man issues created or envisioned for traveling with a firearm. The idea is to NOT make it harder for inspectors to access, inspect and re-pack the rifle correctly. Use simple, inexpensive, defeatable padlocks. If a crook or group of crooks are going to steal your rifle it will be an inside job, out of sight in the bowels of the airport system. They might simply pick up the case, and smuggle it out of the airport. I've posted it before and will again- it is very self-defeating to irritate inspectors or make it harder for them to open and inspect a firearm. Making it harder does nothing to help prevent some crook from stealing the firearm or an inspector from damaging the case or firearm or re-packing it wrong causing later handling damage. Everyone handling baggage around the airport knows which have rifles and which have trombones or golf clubs. If an inspector wants to get into a case they have complete authority to do so. If the locks are too tough to cut or jimmy open, they will cut or somehow bugger up the loop or hasp of the gun case to open it. Also, stuffing dirty clothes or clean clothes or boots or towels or other crap around or on top of a firearm or wrapping it in something within a case only increases the odds for a screw up or delay. I've quit counting the times I've watched this nonsense play out- especially upon return to the US. It is especially problematic and maddening when this preventable BS is going on and you are behind an idiot or two who have caused the delay with the inspection and your flight arrived late and you risk missing your connection.
“Inspectors” in the USA are now the TSA and after your gun is inspected in front of you with TSA, they put a barcode sticker on it and scan it so that other TSA personnel can see in their system that it has already been inspected. They are not going to open it again without you present. That’s why a non-TSA lock is best used.

I the past I have used SKB and Pelican cases. I have had one SKB and one Pelican case destroyed by the airlines over the years but in each instance the airline bought me a new case. The cases did their job though as my guns and scopes were not damaged in either incident. The airline that destroyed the Pelican case bought me an SKB case because that is who they had a relationship with. I still have that SKB case and a single gun SKB case that I use when I am just bringing my double rifle.

Some months ago at the suggestion of @rookhawk I began a search for an Americase safari case and with the help of Mark Biggerstaff I was fortunate to find a previously owned but never used Americase 3 gun safari case. I took it on my trip to Uganda earlier this month and it worked great. If you can find a one of their safari cases in good shape I highly recommend them. Best case I have ever used.

Regarding the locks, and let me preface my comments - they are not meant to argue with or somehow imply that what @rookhawk mentioned earlier in this post is not correct, but I have always used my own keyed Master locks on both my rifle case and my small pelican case that I store my ammo in. More than a few times TSA has gone in my luggage that had the ammo and left their little calling card, as they did on my trip earlier this month, but they have never opened the ammo box by cutting my locks or contacted me to come open it. I do make sure I have a lock in every place you can put a lock.
You are asking for trouble by using a non-TSA lock on your ammo case and might miss a flight someday because of it. Several years ago, I used a Masterlock padlock on my ammo case inside my suitcase and almost missed my flight when the TSA paged me and had me meet them to open the ammo box for them. They told me that if I had a TSA lock on it that they would have just opened it and closed it back up without having to find me. They asked me if I had a TSA lock to put on it and luckily I did. They said that is their preference. This was at the Denver airport where thousands of passengers arrive and depart every fall to hunt the Colorado mountains.

“Inspectors” in the USA are now the TSA and after your gun is inspected in front of you with TSA, they put a barcode sticker on it and scan it so that other TSA personnel can see in their system that it has already been inspected. They are not going to open it again without you present. That’s why a non-TSA lock is best used.
I am fully aware that Inspectors in the US are TSA agents! "Inspector" is a generic term that is understood by everyone from different countries. "TSA" is not and may not be understood and does no apply once you leave the US. Good grief! Do you think an "Inspector" in the Tete Moz airport is going to give a rat's rear end whether or not your ammo or gun case has a "TSA" lock on it or not! There is no doubt one may encounter any "Inspector" anywhere who acts out side the letter of the law... so sure may demand a "TSA" lock on any case, be it ammo, gun case or camera case! Anecdotal stories abound of just that. Just like having a TSA agent ("Inspector") in Atlanta insisting on seeing the serial number on my gunstock upon my return from JNB... true story. Now, everyone go out and put a serial number on their gun stocks.

I used Kalispel (Cabelas) double case my first two trips. Very nice. It was a loner and third trip I only took one gun so I bought my own single Pelican Vault. It worked well. The only advantage to Kalispel is just one lock required.

For what it's worth, another very experienced African hunter gave me this tip: peel all the gun manufacturer decals off the case. Don't give some anti-hunting baggage ape a reason to drop the case out the plane. He put a Yamaha piano sticker on his case. They are typically about the right dimension for an electronic keyboard. Airlines put special tags on gun cases so it's not like the handlers don't know what's in it. But it's probably best to be discrete when traveling to go hunting, especially when stopping over in Europe (Switzerland and Alaska being the exception - I'm surprised Alaska Airlines jets aren't painted up in RealTree camo).

I used Kalispel (Cabelas) double case my first two trips. Very nice. It was a loner and third trip I only took one gun so I bought my own single Pelican Vault. It worked well. The only advantage to Kalispel is just one lock required.

For what it's worth, another very experienced African hunter gave me this tip: peel all the gun manufacturer decals off the case. Don't give some anti-hunting baggage ape a reason to drop the case out the plane. He put a Yamaha piano sticker on his case. They are typically about the right dimension for an electronic keyboard. Airlines put special tags on gun cases so it's not like the handlers don't know what's in it. But it's probably best to be discrete when traveling to go hunting, especially when stopping over in Europe (Switzerland and Alaska being the exception - I'm surprised Alaska Airlines jets aren't painted up in RealTree camo).
Not Camo... but this one known as "30 Salmon 30" is about to be retired

A52EF237-F5AF-4E6E-8D58-02008BCF3719_4_5005_c.jpeg

Quick updates on the safari rifle cases:

Kalispel

I spoke several times with the Kalispel guy. At first he was eager to make copies of the Americase for us but in the end he declined. He says his case design is better, that the americase is junk, etc. It was off-putting because he was either being dishonest or he was ignorant of the facts. He went on and on about his cases have had a handful of warranty claims over the years and his hardware is way better. It isn't. I've personally seen several of his cases at Orvis with the rods all bent and the goofy exposed hinges bent and broken in their clearance center in Manchester, Vermont. So I know they aren't super. He also argued that nobody wants three gun cases, only two gun cases. Again, I disagree in practice because the third slot is usually filled with a gun slip and shooting sticks in my experience. He then went on to explain roller-blade wheels that are halfway in the case aren't as good as surface mount wheels which I also disagree (more likely to be bent/jammed/busted off). At the end of his closing email he then explained he can't get any of the Americase hardware types anyway, so it sounded like sour grapes to me. Anyway, its his designs and his company, he has to do what he thinks is best for him. I won't be a customer.

Americase

I spoke again with Americase and after a month of back and forth, they stated that the old quote is about what it would be again. Roughly $1100 a case plus shipping at quantity 25. Only if we could get a larger order we could bring the cost down to a grand. They seemed to want me to front the cash and pay the order in full, rather than collect payments from all the buyers which obviously I didn't want to do, outlaying tens of thousands for the sake of charity. I was informed if I did so on AH, I'd need to donate a case as a prize for the group as well if I was the middle man, so that would leave me exposed to $25,000 in capital, potential non-payment, dozens of hours of interfacing with members, and -$1100 to give away a case as well.

I did my best gang, but I don't see a way forward at this time.

I am fully aware that Inspectors in the US are TSA agents! "Inspector" is a generic term that is understood by everyone from different countries. "TSA" is not and may not be understood and does no apply once you leave the US. Good grief! Do you think an "Inspector" in the Tete Moz airport is going to give a rat's rear end whether or not your ammo or gun case has a "TSA" lock on it or not! There is no doubt one may encounter any "Inspector" anywhere who acts out side the letter of the law... so sure may demand a "TSA" lock on any case, be it ammo, gun case or camera case! Anecdotal stories abound of just that. Just like having a TSA agent ("Inspector") in Atlanta insisting on seeing the serial number on my gunstock upon my return from JNB... true story. Now, everyone go out and put a serial number on their gun stocks.
Well, no reason to get upset. All the foreign inspectors I’ve run across on multiple international trips to Africa, Asia and Europe asked ME to open my case for them. No way in heck would I put cheap TSA locks that about anyone can open on rifle cases containing my expensive firearms. The bottom of a TSA combo lock has a key hole for a key to bypass the combo and those generic keys are widely available to about anyone. You might as well use no locks at all. If you’re using TSA locks on your rifle cases you are in a small minority of people, especially on this website. Good luck to you.

Well, no reason to get upset. All the foreign inspectors I’ve run across on multiple international trips to Africa, Asia and Europe asked ME to open my case for them. No way in heck would I put cheap TSA locks that about anyone can open on rifle cases containing my expensive firearms. The bottom of a TSA combo lock has a key hole for a key to bypass the combo and those generic keys are widely available to about anyone. You might as well use no locks at all. If you’re using TSA locks on your rifle cases you are in a small minority of people, especially on this website. Good luck to you.
Put another way, if the meth-head TSA guy throws an 8-ball of crack and the finger of a dead hooker in your gun case, YOU go to prison. You are denied a defense that anything in that rifle case was packed by anyone else and constructive possession is on you.

In light of that, do you want a good lock, or a bad lock?

I’ve been to Tete and Pemba and no problems with my Masterlock padlock on my rifle case and TSA locks on ammo.

Unless you have your butler or bride along, I would advise saving the money and ordering something without wheels. I traveled in one set of hunting clothes (non camo) with one change of clothes, FroggToggs rain jacket, hunting coat and cap, socks, underwear, and extra boots all packed in a medium sized soft bag that converts to backpack (more on that later). My carryon computer bag also contained trip paperwork, phone charger, point-and-shoot camera (+ charger), hearing aid charger, and collapsible headphones for the plane (DO NOT overlook these! $4 at the Dollar Store and they worked great). My camo (unfortunately) daypack was my primary carryon. It contained reading for long layovers in Europe, toiletries bag, one change of hunting clothes, underwear, socks, extra glasses, sunglasses, bug dope (which I didn't use = came home with tick bite fever!). Always have one extra set of hunting clothes in carryon!!! The reason is obvious. Soo ..... with all that stuff, do you think I would have hands free to wheel a double gun case around an airport? Pffft! No way. Not even with checked bag strapped to my back. Wait ... I forgot about the separate ammo box. And yes, you will need that to get back on a plane in South Africa. Get an airport trolley. Yes, a VIP guy will be there to meet you at Joberg but he can't help you till AFTER you pick up your luggage. Similarly, no way could I wrangle all my luggage AND gun case AND ammo case through Pearson airport in Toronto on return without stacking it on a trolley. What good would wheels on the gun case be? That would mean trying to pull the case while pushing the trolley with one hand. Hah, hah! Like herding cattle while tied in a sack.

The airport in Joberg WILL NOT accept checked baggage with loose straps. Your only option is take your strappy bag back to the lobby and have one of the handy vendors there shrink wrap it ... for a fee of course. Fortunately, the packstraps on my checked bag zipped into a compartment.

Is your Americase a two rifle model? If so how much does it weigh with two guns please?

It is indeed a 2-rifle case.
12.4kg or 27.35 pounds for just the case, including two heavy locks, as in the picture.
I’ll let you add the rifles of your choice ;)

Even MORE important than the brand of lock or design of gun case is the hidden item you'll need to put inside it ... an AirTag! You will always know where that gun is (except when you or it is in the air). One hitch: AirTag requires an Apple product to track it. I am an Android guy but still made it work. My daughter back here in Canada has iPhone and iPad. She could track my gun and text me satellite images of exactly where it was ... except in the air. AirTag uses nearby Apple products and cell towers to triangulate the tag's location. In the air everyone's phone is turned off.
IMG_5849.jpg

Wife and I now have AirTags for traveling. Very comforting to know your luggage/rifle is on board the plane or “see” it coming to the carousel.

Unless you have your butler or bride along, I would advise saving the money and ordering something without wheels. I traveled in one set of hunting clothes (non camo) with one change of clothes, FroggToggs rain jacket, hunting coat and cap, socks, underwear, and extra boots all packed in a medium sized soft bag that converts to backpack (more on that later). My carryon computer bag also contained trip paperwork, phone charger, point-and-shoot camera (+ charger), hearing aid charger, and collapsible headphones for the plane (DO NOT overlook these! $4 at the Dollar Store and they worked great). My camo (unfortunately) daypack was my primary carryon. It contained reading for long layovers in Europe, toiletries bag, one change of hunting clothes, underwear, socks, extra glasses, sunglasses, bug dope (which I didn't use = came home with tick bite fever!). Always have one extra set of hunting clothes in carryon!!! The reason is obvious. Soo ..... with all that stuff, do you think I would have hands free to wheel a double gun case around an airport? Pffft! No way. Not even with checked bag strapped to my back. Wait ... I forgot about the separate ammo box. And yes, you will need that to get back on a plane in South Africa. Get an airport trolley. Yes, a VIP guy will be there to meet you at Joberg but he can't help you till AFTER you pick up your luggage. Similarly, no way could I wrangle all my luggage AND gun case AND ammo case through Pearson airport in Toronto on return without stacking it on a trolley. What good would wheels on the gun case be? That would mean trying to pull the case while pushing the trolley with one hand. Hah, hah! Like herding cattle while tied in a sack.

The airport in Joberg WILL NOT accept checked baggage with loose straps. Your only option is take your strappy bag back to the lobby and have one of the handy vendors there shrink wrap it ... for a fee of course. Fortunately, the packstraps on my checked bag zipped into a compartment.

To the contrary, I find the wheels a necessity.

My huge duffle has my optics and clothes in it. It is bungeed to the rolling case. My other hand is carrying the ammo case. My son is lugging a backpack on his back and rolling one checked bag behind him. That's the only way we found we could get all our stuff through the airport quickly. Otherwise, we'd be carrying hundreds of pounds and would be out of hands to do so. It's worked well for us on 14 safaris.

Pelican 1750 works good. Most my clients use them with excellent results.

To the contrary, I find the wheels a necessity.

My huge duffle has my optics and clothes in it. It is bungeed to the rolling case. My other hand is carrying the ammo case. My son is lugging a backpack on his back and rolling one checked bag behind him. That's the only way we found we could get all our stuff through the airport quickly. Otherwise, we'd be carrying hundreds of pounds and would be out of hands to do so. It's worked well for us on 14 safaris.
Your son was your butler on those trips. :) I travel alone. The bungee cord idea is excellent! That just might work for me. Use a large duffle bag instead of shoulder straps soft luggage. Leave enough room in the duffle bag for locked ammo case to be slipped inside when moving about the airport. Wear my carryon backpack, shoulder the computer bag and both hands would be free to deal with pulling the wheeled gun case with luggage strapped on. Better than messing with those awkward airport trolleys. Yeah, that might work! But it better be a top quality wheeled gun case. They aren't designed to carry that much weight. The case should be able to take it but what about the wheels? What brand case are you using? Do you have problems with top heavy gun case flipping over?

Here's how I got 3 pieces of luggage and a backpack through by myself. Wheels are great. The orange strap just came off the bag at the counter and was rolled up and put into my carry on.

Btw the rifle case is an SKB that functions just like a Tuffpak. It is a little larger but worked great.

20210903_162919.jpg

Your son was your butler on those trips. :) I travel alone. The bungee cord idea is excellent! That just might work for me. Use a large duffle bag instead of shoulder straps soft luggage. Leave enough room in the duffle bag for locked ammo case to be slipped inside when moving about the airport. Wear my carryon backpack, shoulder the computer bag and both hands would be free to deal with pulling the wheeled gun case with luggage strapped on. Better than messing with those awkward airport trolleys. Yeah, that might work! But it better be a top quality wheeled gun case. They aren't designed to carry that much weight. The case should be able to take it but what about the wheels? What brand case are you using? Do you have problems with top heavy gun case flipping over?

Great questions. No issues with top-heavy gun case flipping over. The wheels are supposedly indestructible, but I have broken them, or more specifically the baggage handlers have dropped the case 5' cracking the wheels. Easy to swap out since they are roller-blade wheels with ball bearings. My last case survived 14 safaris that included being set in the back of the cruiser where the trackers were standing on it all day under their feet on the back.

They don't make the Americase AT3-GUN any longer but I have a quote from them at quantity. I few more kinks to work out, and then comes the price. I hadn't thought there would be much interest at $1000 but it now appears there is some since I got two phone calls from AH members today on this topic.

Stay tuned in light of the fact it appears even at the high price, there may be enough for an order.

Roller blade wheels? Hmm. Ever seen a person on roller blades? :) A thousand bucks, eh. Maybe I'll have to put up with my Vault and wrestling those damn airport trolleys. $1K is five boxes of ammo for 404 Jeff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!