Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Good evening guys,

I am looking to educate myself better on vintage rifles, and unfortunately the only way I can is through books. I’m my neck of the woods we don’t have anywhere to find these guns to check them out. I’m wondering what reading material you guys would recommend?

I have been suggested Jon Speeds book on Mausers, but at $750, I think it’s a pass, at least for now.

German Hunting Guns of the Golden Era sounds like it may be a good read.

Any input would be great, and I know as always, there will be plenty!

German Hunting Guns of the Golden Era sounds like it may be a good read.
It is good book, but it is limited to German guns.

Terry Wieland: Great hunting rilfes Victorian to the present.

Donald Dallas: (all the books from):
Holland and hollad royal gun maker
The british sporting gun and rifle
Boss and co. best gun maker
James purdey and sons guns and rifle makers

I have most of Donald Dallas books, but the price fluctuates, so you will have to follow, till the price gets to acceptable level. I bought in time, these books for price between 70 - 150 pounds.

It is good book, but it is limited to German guns.

Terry Wieland: Great hunting rilfes Victorian to the present.

Donald Dallas: (all the books from):
Holland and hollad royal gun maker
The british sporting gun and rifle
Boss and co. best gun maker
James purdey and sons guns and rifle makers

I have most of Donald Dallas books, but the price fluctuates, so you will have to follow, till the price gets to acceptable level. I bought in time, these books for price between 70 - 150 pounds.
I will look them up, thanks for the help!

Safari rifles 2, updated edition, by Craig Boddington, is about modern rifle aplication on modern african safari.
And from that perspective it is very good book, and educational read. I can reccomend.
But it is not about vintage guns.

However, you may check also Terry Wielands: Dangerous game rifles, 2nd edition.
The concept of the book is similar as of the Craig Boddington, but there are some notes on vintage guns, however the focus of is also on modern safari application.

While CB will talk about rifles from american perspective, and will include pump action, lever action, single shots, (the american sweethearts) etc... Terry Wieland will have more traditional choice, describing true safari rifles: bolt actions and double rifles.

Regardless of vintage guns, if you buy these two books, thirsdy for knowledge, you will not be sorry.

Last edited:
Safari rifles 2, updated edition, by Craig Boddington, is about modern rifle aplication on modern african safari.
And from that perspective it is very good book, and educational read. I can reccomend.
But it is not about vintage guns.

However, you may check also Terry Wielands: Dangerous game rifles, 2nd edition.
The concept of the book is similar as of the Craig Boddington, but there are some notes on vintage guns, however the focus of is also on modern safari application.

While CB will talk about rifles from american perspective, and will include pump action, lever action, single shots, (the american sweethearts) etc... Terry Wieland will have more traditional choice, describing true safari rifles: bolt actions and double rifles.

Regardless of vintage guns, if you buy these two books, thirsdy for knowledge, you will not be sorry.
I found the Weilands books, once I finish Moby Dick, I’ll delve into them!

While it doesn't get into the carriage class rifles, Hatcher's Notebook has a lot of information regarding turnbolt military rifles that have been used as the basis for several sporting rifles.

Depending on how vintage you want to go, I’ll second Mark-Hunter’s recommendation of Great Hunting Rifles by Terry Weiland. For more mainstream 20th century & North American rifles, check out The Hunting Rifle by Jack O’Connor.

How about African Rifles and Cartridges by John "Pondoro" Taylor.
It has a wealth of information.
It is excellent book, and most quoted book TODAY, about CALIBERS AND CARTRIDGES.
it is not the book about vintage guns per se. It is about calibers and cartidges and their effect on game on african fields.
Only, secondary, on rifles, Taylor will in the book openly prefer fine english guns (bolt or double), and will have some thoughts about them, but the book is primarily about calibers and cartrdidges and their use in africa

Considering that with increase of safari costs for DG in last decades and CITES rules, our collective experience in large big game cartridges is becoming smaller - (old hunters of taylor generation, were hunting dozens and hundreds of DG, while modern sport african hunters, hunt just a few in their life time) - this book will remain a must have in any rifle book library collection. It will keep its value, both from hisorical and modern perspective.

You also have to read it in the context of time.
For example, modern premium bullets are better then ever, and they were not available in Pondoro time.
So, modern bullets (and powders) will sometimes be more effective from case to case in some classic big game cartridges, then Pondoro will give them the credit for, in his time.

Also, the book is printed in 1948, and many of modern cartridges did not exist in that time. (like 458 win mag, for example).

In any case, this is one of the best books I have read, and have in my collection. Highly reccomended!

This book has a lot information on about any bolt action rifle made up to about the mid 1990s. Commercial and military.
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.