Rifle bolt in luggage

I should have provided this yesterday...

Below is an exploded parts diagram of a Pre-64 M70. The current CRF models are much the same.

Notice the two different size retainer clips for the extractor, #6170 and #5870?
These are shown because the same size bolt was used for all actions from .22 Hornet to .375.
Your bolt probably uses #5870, the smaller one, or a modern one one much like it.
The longer ones limit bolt travel for shorter cartridges.

Click on the photo to open it.

Model70 Bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a photo of a .308 length extractor retainer next to the bolt from my .416 Taylor.

I removed the clip in this photo from a rifle that was converted from .308 to ,30-06 AI.
The rectangular piece to the right of the circular clip section limits the rearward travel of the bolt due to the shorter .308 cartridge length.

There are You Tube videos showing how to disassemble these bolts.

One probably needs to click on the photo to see the clip.

I think that the clip is most likely your problem.

M70 Extractor Clip2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eduard,
PM sent.
Mark

Good day to all the hunters.

Can someone please inform me of the legalities to bring a rifle bolt from the USA to South Africa in one's luggage?

Background info: My Winchester mod 70 stainless 375H&H has some extraction issues. The local agents did not even reply my emails and my gunsmith advised me my best option is to source a new bolt from the USA. I'm a South African PH and will be hunting with a few American Hunters this season. Will it be possible for them to bring me the bolt in their luggage or will there be legal troubles? Last thing I want to do is ask something of them that I'm not 100% sure is above board.

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!
Well done with fixing the extractor. The sad part is that your gunsmith could not fix it or figure out the solution.

Good day to all the hunters.

Can someone please inform me of the legalities to bring a rifle bolt from the USA to South Africa in one's luggage?

Background info: My Winchester mod 70 stainless 375H&H has some extraction issues. The local agents did not even reply my emails and my gunsmith advised me my best option is to source a new bolt from the USA. I'm a South African PH and will be hunting with a few American Hunters this season. Will it be possible for them to bring me the bolt in their luggage or will there be legal troubles? Last thing I want to do is ask something of them that I'm not 100% sure is above board.

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!

Beyond all the legalities, ITAR, etc, what would you do with a new bolt anyway?

It may not fit. It certainly will not headspace, so you need a go and no-go gauge. Then how will you headspace it, are you going to set back the barrel? Do you have a chamber reamer to clean up the barrel after set back?

Not trying to give you a hard time, but there is no plan. The easiest bolt to get working on that rifle is the one you have. To get a new bolt set up on that rifle in RSA would probably cost as much time and aggravation as just buying a new rifle.

I know nothing about the legalities, but odds are a “spare bolt” in the rifle case along with cleaning supplies, a few tools, etc is almost assuredly going to fly under the radar, especially if both bolts are out of the rifle. If it actually fits the rifle in the case, you are just a typical American who overpacks.
or throw it in your ammo bag as a "spare," but ensure that it is of the same action type/length as your rifle. can it simply be mailed to you from the US?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross