Rifle bolt in luggage

Eduard_Venter

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Good day to all the hunters.

Can someone please inform me of the legalities to bring a rifle bolt from the USA to South Africa in one's luggage?

Background info: My Winchester mod 70 stainless 375H&H has some extraction issues. The local agents did not even reply my emails and my gunsmith advised me my best option is to source a new bolt from the USA. I'm a South African PH and will be hunting with a few American Hunters this season. Will it be possible for them to bring me the bolt in their luggage or will there be legal troubles? Last thing I want to do is ask something of them that I'm not 100% sure is above board.

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!

From my personal experience traveling within the US and overseas I would advise against it. I believe it would be considered a “weapon component.” I know people who have had rifle magazines in their bags on confiscated for this reason. But that’s not a sure answer and the actual law my be different

I know nothing about the legalities, but odds are a “spare bolt” in the rifle case along with cleaning supplies, a few tools, etc is almost assuredly going to fly under the radar, especially if both bolts are out of the rifle. If it actually fits the rifle in the case, you are just a typical American who overpacks.

That used to be the reccomend way to fly with a rifle just incase the rifle was stolen.

The reasoning behind it was that the rifle had to be sent into the factory for a replacement bolt.

There is nothing in the regulations from the airlines that would prohibit it, but the country it is being brought in to might have some restriction. Might contact @riflepermits.com They could probably tell you if it's ok and how to go about getting your bolt to you.

Background info: My Winchester mod 70 stainless 375H&H has some extraction issues. The local agents did not even reply my emails and my gunsmith advised me my best option is to source a new bolt from the USA

Out of curiosity, what kind of extraction problems? Seems overkill to replace the bolt?

Good day to all the hunters.

Can someone please inform me of the legalities to bring a rifle bolt from the USA to South Africa in one's luggage?

Thanks in advance. Happy hunting!
Hi Eduard,

IAW U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) ref title: “Transporting Firearms and Ammunition.” And there is a print friendly link to have this ref. in your back pocket @ the ticket counter.

Yes, you can fly w/ firearm parts, screen shot & ref: “bolt … may be transported in checked baggage.” Next question - U.S. TSA allows but does your intended airlines authorize? If the airlines authorizes firearm transport then makes sense policy below equally applies. Happy Trails!

6AABB0FA-8FC9-4EFA-ADE6-055D931009A0.jpeg

I would put it in a gear bag in the rifle case with gun cleaning stuff etc. It should not be a problem.

What you need is a Williams forged extractor. Probably fix up your problem. It often times does.

You may need a ther gunsmith...
I would put it in the gun case....

Probably no one will notice or if they do, know what it is.
If however you have the displeasure of an encounter of that one customs inspector who wants to get brownie points from their boss, your bolt may get confiscated.

Contact Henry at riflepermits.com to do this legally...

Thanks for all the replies.

Henry, email sent. Thank you.

As for the extraction problems, it's nothing huge but it needs fixing. When extracting a live round (happens much less with spent cases) the extractor derails (for lack of a better word) from the bolt. Photo attached. This only happens if the bolt is pulled backwards aggressively. The previous owner had some work done to polish the action. Any advice will be appreciated.
20220202_191816.jpg

You need a new extractor.
The former owner probably polished it a little too much.

Of course without examining it, you could need a bolt replacement. It is more likely to be an extractor that needs replacing.

ARMS in Monument park can replace the extractor for you a lot less hassle..

ARMS in Monument park Pta can sort you out with a new extractor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,