Rifle and load options for mixed bag safari in C.A.R.

daggaboyblog

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.daggaboyblog.com.au
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Peninsular Firearms Academy
Hunted
Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Malta
My next hunt in Africa will be in C.A.R. I've been putting some thought into which rifle to take as I have no desire to add to my standard two gun safari battery.

I generally carry my .300 Weatherby Mag loaded with 180gr Woodleigh PP @ 2950fps and my .450 Ackley Mag with 500gr Woodleigh solids or softs @ 2380fps.

While on safari I will be chasing Lord Derby's Eland, Bongo, Giant Forest Hog, Forest Buffalo and some of the antelope endemic to the area.

I can take the existing two gun set up as-is or perhaps just take the Ackley. If I go with the .458 there are a couple of options: maybe loaded a 300, 350 or 400 grain bullet for everything, or take two loads. Unfortunately my super accurate 300gr and thumping 500gr loads group ten inches apart so you can't just slip in "the other one." Maybe sight the 300gr load with scope and the 500gr with open sights? The 1.5-5x is held in place in Warne QD mounts so this may be an option.

Surely a "one-load-fits-all" option has to be the smartest way to go? But which load? Any thoughts on best option, other ideas or other hunters' experiences would be great.

If I only taking one rifle with me, it'd be a .375 H&H.

Hi Schembridan,

The ultimate rifle to carry for your expedition is a .375 H&H Mag. "THE EMPEROR" of all calibers , just carry the correct loads 250, 270 and a 300 Silver tip ,these grains would be ultimate and more than ample for all the game you have short listed to bag, and yes the placement is your domain ..................

Happy Hunting and may you procure very fine trophys.

Monish

Of the two guys you mentioned, I would opt for the .450 as a one-gun battery. If you're going to be hunting the thick bush for bongo, buffalo, etc. you can use the heavier load with less chance for deflection.

However, if it isn't much hassel I would take both guns. In case you have an issue with either during your trip you'll have a back up you are familiar with.

Hello

Hi,

My advice would be , since you are going to C.A.R , you should contact this PH ! He has been all over Africa and has probably shot every common and exotic animal in Africa.

Christophe Morio
SAFARI MORIO
Benin, CAR & Tanzania
http://safarismorio.canalblog.com/

Last edited:
I'm booked to CAR for Feb 2011. I'll be taking my 375 H&H, 460 S&W w/scope, and a shotgun. Plan to hunt all the duikers, buffalo, roan, and other stuff that may present. I really hope to get within handgun range on the buffalo and roan.

.375 HH. Call it the Pygmy big bore. Everything is smaller on the Equator. ;) It's all you need. Otherwise a takedown in .300 or .338 whatev and .416 whatev, but, do you want the smaller rifles when that (1,000 lb lol) buffalo steps out into the open? As the shooting will be close, a double would be fine. Imagine a double w/ 375 in one pipe, and 300-338 in the other! :) .375 with 350 gr Woodleigh (softs & solids) in Norma PH ammo will reportedly also kill anything with Corona!

Wait, 2011? Are you friendly with Marty and the Doc??

i just read no DG on your trip. in that case, bring a hot .338 (or the 375 w/ 270 or 300 gr slugs.) good luck! If i went through the trouble to go to CAR, i'd be bolting on a Dwarf and Savannah Buffalo. It just makes good sense after all that time and expense! There will be no long shots in the Forest (Jungle?) lol

i just read no DG on your trip. in that case, bring a hot .338 (or the 375 w/ 270 or 300 gr slugs.) good luck! If i went through the trouble to go to CAR, i'd be bolting on a Dwarf and Savannah Buffalo. It just makes good sense after all that time and expense! There will be no long shots in the Forest (Jungle?) lol
Looks like your 10 years late to the party there pilgrim.

In my defense, i must say my laptop is very Slow.

As the OP said he has no desire to add another rifle to the two he already has. So if it was me then I'd opt for the .450 Ackley. You can load the soft for the larger species and the solids for anything smaller that you don't want to blow up.

As someone mentioned the shots are probably not going to be at great distances so you don't need a long shooter.

PS... never hunter the CAR nor that type of terrain so I'd wait for a more expert opinion.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: just realised the date of the thread :A Haha::A Whistle::A Whistle::A Whistle:

I'm booked to CAR for Feb 2011. I'll be taking my 375 H&H, 460 S&W w/scope, and a shotgun. Plan to hunt all the duikers, buffalo, roan, and other stuff that may present. I really hope to get within handgun range on the buffalo and roan.
Did you end up using the .460? If so, what did you bag with it?

I was going to use it on a Warthog but ended up missing him completely. Everything else was too far, over 75 yds, to trust the handgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg