Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
I started listening to White Hunters: The Golden Age of African Safaris on Audible today. First off, great book, very entertaining read highly recommended.

In it, they describe a lion hunting practice called "Riding Lions." Here are some excerpts:

"...Arthur became a noted lion hunter and practitioner of the British East African sport of "riding lions," the comparatively new and exceedingly dangerous method of hunting being practice by the more daring white hunters in the early 1900s. Lion hunting was considered not only a sport but a necessity in the territory to protect livestock. In those days lions were often hunted at night over kills used as bait, or miserably poisoned or trapped. Such lowly methods were legal, but regarded with contempt by any self-respecting hunter.

Riding lions was considered a far more sporting method. Count Wickenburg, who rode lions before nearly being killed by one in Somaliland, was probably the first proponent of the pastime. The unwritten rules for riding lions required that the lions be pursued on horseback. When the lion either turned at bay, or otherwise offered a shot, the hunter was supposed to dismount - the ideal range was variously reckoned at between forty and sixty yards - and shoot before the big cat either ran away or charged."

Does anyone have any further information about this practice? Any photos? I'm guessing this is no longer done anywhere due to the risks...

The-Lion-Hunt.jpg

Here's a link to the book if you want to pick up a copy: http://www.amazon.com/White-Hunters...8&qid=1462996599&sr=8-3&keywords=white+hunter

Attachments

• The-Lion-Hunt.jpg
    The-Lion-Hunt.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of this before but I'm not well read in terms of classic African books on hunting. I can see where horses might have been used to catch up with lions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,