SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Richard Holmes Safaris?

Retired Sgt

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
looking to book a cull hunt with Richard Holmes Safaris, any information about this outfit would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome @Retired Sgt ! Best of luck in your search. Like @375 Ruger Fan said, lots of good sponsors on this site that can help you out also!

Welcome to AH sir!

Hunted with his operation in 2016. Basic but comfortable lodge. Excellent terrain. No shooting from the truck ever (which is great). Good phs. Best prices you will find anywhere. Great value for money. Don't go if you want luxury, but go if you want a superb value, fair chase hunt.

@lawrence_court, I was considering this outfit, so I would like ask additional question:
Are there any fences, or high fences that you have seen?

Hi Mark,

Like all farms in RSA, there are fences on the boundaries with other farms. There are no interior fences on the farm though, and the roads do not hug the fences as they do on some areas.

The place does not feel high fenced at all when you are there, and it is all on foot hunting (literally no shooting from the truck) so it is excellent sport.

As I said, not luxury but amazing value and lots of good shooting terrain for long/very long and close shots.

I would go back for sure, and I have been lucky enough to hunt areas that are considered much more 'high end'.

Hope that helps.

L

I also hunted with RHS in 2016. As was previously stated, shooting from the truck is strictly forbidden. The truck is used to get you to the hunting area and then you get out and hunt (the way it should be). Most hunting is done on Richard's property, which is huge. I also hunted one day at Peter Flack's old farm, Bankfontein. I had to go there for a hartebeest. The perimeter of Richard's property is fenced, but no interior fencing. I only saw the fence while hunting on a single occasion, when I was hunting a mountain reedbuck and we ended up on a rocky hill at the edge of the property.

The accommodations are basic, but comfortable. The food is good and there is plenty of it. Its a hunting lodge and the focus is on hunting, not pampering tourists. I was on a trophy hunt, but there were a couple of other guys there on a cull hunt and they were having a blast - literally! I don't think you could find a better place in the Eastern Cape for a cull hunt. If you go there you will shoot a lot of game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg