Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NAPHA, SCI, DSC, SAHCA
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, RSA, USA, Hungary
Hi all

We have acquired 6 de-horned rhino bulls to be hunted, on a 15 000 acre private reserve in South Africa. Due to the sensitivity of rhino poaching, all I am willing to say on the location is that we can pick up a hunter from Bloemfontein or Kimberley airport.

If you are looking for a rhino hunt, this is probably the best deal out there. An added bonus is the size of the area and the terrain (varied Kalahari type sand, low schrub and grasslands, scattered koppies) will make for an exciting hunt, that will involve spot and stalk as well as tracking. The reserve holds 3 of the big five, and plains game. I predict that rhino hunts will more than double in price as soon as South Africa has worked out their proposed private trading with rhino horn within the country. So if you need a rhino to complete your big 5, this may be the deal for you.

PH on the hunt will be Christo Crous or myself (if time allows), and the hunt will be over 4 days and 5 nights. Total price of hunt will be US$ 25 000, and it includes the mentioned hunting days, 2 travel days, pick up and drop off at one of the above airports, one de-horned rhino bull, field preparation of the trophy, drop off at Marakalalo Taxidermy and a fibre glass replica of the hunted rhino. (The trophy are also FULLY exportable to most countries.)

A hunter can select one out of the remaining de-horned bulls, so if he/ she is first to hunt, they will have a choice out of all 6 bulls. (There will be other bulls as well, and plains game and buffalo, which I will price seperately below.)

A few examples of the de-horned bulls available:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
These photos were taken before the bulls was moved to the private reserve where they will be hunted. Thus the terrain is much more open here..

full

full

Example of a fibre glass shoulder mount of the rhino, which is INCLUDED in this deal.

full

This bull is also available to be hunted on the reserve @ US$ 30 000

full

Other rhino available @ the following prices:
19-21 inch front horn: US$ 40 000
>21-23 inch front horn: US$ 45 000
Plains game and buffalo:
Baboon 100 $
Blesbok 600 $
Buffalo 12,500 $
Caracal 650 $
Duiker 400 $
Eland (Cape) 2,500 $
Gemsbok 1,250 $
Hartebeest 750 $
Impala 500 $
Jackal 50 $
Kudu 2,500 $
Lechwe 5,000 $
Nyala 4,500 $
Reedbuck (Common) 1,500 $
Reedbuck (Mtn) 975 $
Rhino (White) POR
Roan 8,500 $
Sable 8,000 $
Springbok 550 $
Steenbok 400 $
Tsessebe 3,250 $
Warthog 400 $
Waterbuck 2,000 $
Wildebeest (Black) 850 $
Wildebeest (Blue) 1,000 $
Zebra (Burchell) 1,500 $
All other species on request

Day fees for extra days:
(Namibia and South Africa)
1x1 550 $
2x1 500 $
Observer 275 $

Can you give a ball park figure of what these animals horns would have measured if not de horned ?

Can you also explain the fiberglass shoulder mount. Is the entire mount fiberglass or just the horn. If the entire mount, why? Thank you and seems like a great deal.

I am very interested. Would I be able to hunt with my bow? Or is this restricted to only rifles?

Hi CAustin
Its impossible to predict what size the rhino would have been, as there is lots of unpredictable factors. In nature some wear their horns faster, some break, some may have been de horned more than once. All I can tell you is that all 6 these bulls are mature bulls, and mature bulls normally goes between 20 and 28 inches.

MMAL, we reccommend a fibre glass replica as its much lighter, cheaper, looks the same, and is infinitley easier to skin than a cape on a rhino. Of course, if you prefer a real mount, that can be done, and I will contribute the amount we pay for the replica ($1000) towards your shoulder mount.

Mrpoindexter, unfortunately no pachiderms may be hunted with a bow in SA or Namibia. This is a rifle hunt only, but you can bring your bow for other game afterwards.

This is why i check this site as often as possible, I learn something new every time I log in. Good luck Karl and thank you.

I have seen a few fiber glass mounts, they are awesome and it is hard to tell the difference.

What's the age of a mature rhino?

Aaron, its around 10 years of age to be considered mature.

Karl
Thanks for posting this. I've been pricing this type of hunt for a while now and you have a very good offer. I personally believe the price on these dehorned bulls will continue to come down a bit more.
If I wasn't committed to a leopard hunt this year I'd jump on this deal!
Regards,
Philip

Phillip, I actually think we will now see higher prices as the South African constitutional court has just given the green light to local trade in rhino horn... this means that more rhino breeders may hold onto these bulls themselfs and harvest the horn every 3-5 years, instead of hunting them.

Well, I would jump on it but they have not allowed bow hunting on them. That is going to make for a challenge to get my Big 5 bowhunting grand slam a challenge.

Any chance RSA will change their laws to allow bows on the rest of the animals there that they already allow guns on?

I dont think they will change the laws....

Good offer Karl.

Phillip, I actually think we will now see higher prices as the South African constitutional court has just given the green light to local trade in rhino horn... this means that more rhino breeders may hold onto these bulls themselfs and harvest the horn every 3-5 years, instead of hunting them.

I'm more with Philip here. I don't know if the price will drop significantly, but I don't see it doubling at least in the relatively short term. There could be a flood of horn on the market and those who have the rhinos may not be able to sell it all at the price they want/need to get - supply and demand.

They will also need to get rid of older bulls and barren cows for the health of the herd. These will be hunted if possible. And I bet the supply of these animals won't end up being far less than the demand, which would be required for prices to double.

And, if horn trade becomes legal and horn price comes down there should be less poaching for multiple reasons increasing the supply of rhino both for horn harvest and hunting.

Either way, this is going to be interesting and I hope that broader legalization occurs as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.