Rhino Hunting Options And Conservation

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
This is probably quite a few years down the road for my safari plans, but you never know. Thought it might be an interesting discussion to compare the different hunt options and their pros and cons to the conservation of the species and the hunter.

I originally had it in mind to do a dart hunt and replica mount one day. Personally, I very much enjoy taxidermy and have trouble with the thought of leaving an entire trophy animal and never having the real thing, despite the quality of the reproductions these days.

So you basically have dart, dehorned hunt, and trophy hunt. Obviously the cost seems to scale in that order as well and import/export/taxidermy considerations.

So for those hunters interested in pursuing rhino, which is your preference and why?

Outfitters, PHs, anyone with more intimate knowledge than I at how hunt costs are distributed, what are your thoughts? We all know hunting an animal is more humane and produces more money for conservation/anti-poaching/etc than it dying of old age so theres no doubt that the game farms trying to grow the number of rhino in SA have a place for hunting of them for those reasons. The "obvious" choice for the client seems to be the cheapest of darting and getting a reproduction mount if wanted (because theres no other choice with an animal leaving the experience alive vs having to leave one actually harvested due to silly import restrictions). But do rhinos and the operations that are sustaining, growing their numbers, and caring for them need more hunters willing to spend more to actually harvest one?

Look forward to hearing everyones take and learning more about conservation of the species

I'd say your best option is to talk to the outfitters themselves and see what they can offer you that you want.

There are some spectacular replica mounts available today. Simply supply measurements and roughly 5000 to have your own. I have darted two bulls with real sedative not vitamin dart. I still keep measurements and plan one day to do a repo. It takes a hell of a large space that I don’t currently have. I personally don’t have much desire to kill rhinos, they seem to have enough problems. Plus a Sioux stalk with a one shot dart gun will cause more pucker factor than u can imagine. (Adrenaline). Cheers. Jacques

From my perspective, and from what I think I know;) A true hunt done the right way and for the right animal can be the best all around solution. Granted many will opt for a dart and I would not begrudge that or belittle it. And I have seen some fantastic replicas done of rhino and elephant.

My Choice would be a dehorned bull or one where the horn stayed behind and a reduced price be offered. Seems as if storing the real horn would be a major pain and I would worry about having it on display. So even on a real skin mount, I think there are many good reasons to utilize replica horns.

As for the hunt and actually killing of a rhino. Please consider the following; Most rhino, especially huntable white rhino populations are on privately held properties and someone owns that animal. And other than a very few exceptions (maybe only one), the population is likely to be about 40 or less head, likely a lot less. So the genetic base must be managed, not left to natural selection. Furthermore, these animals are valuable, but also very costly to maintain both from feed and security. And probably even health management. So funds must come from somewhere! And contrary to popular belief, there are way more white rhinos in South Africa at least than any photo Safari operation can support.

So what value and what liability does an old bull bring to a farm? With a limited population and area to roam, at some point there becomes a real risk of a bull breeding his own daughters. And it is widely understood that old rhino bulls can be cantankerous even if not really in condition to continue breeding. So simply bringing in another likely younger bull to take over breeding responsibilities is a large financial and herd security risk. The old bull will undoubtedly fight the new bull and one or both could be mortally wounded. Likewise cows and calves can become collateral damage to such fights.

So what is that farmer to do? There is likely no market for an over the hill breeding bull. The horn still has very limited to no legal value other than speculative... So using it to grow and harvest horn seems a bit futile. And there is that constant expense to deal with. And the risk of that animal being poached, or just dying.

The obvious solution is to sell the old bull to a hunter. Hopefully the property is large enough to make a decent hunt experience of it. And again, there is only so much demand for paying photo ops and it simply does not take a lot of males to cover the breeding of a lot of females. Just the way things are.

So go on a real hunt if you want to! I do believe rhino hunts are a bargain right now! And I do not believe there are any real impediments to importing a white rhino from South Africa.

From my perspective, and from what I think I know;) A true hunt done the right way and for the right animal can be the best all around solution. Granted many will opt for a dart and I would not begrudge that or belittle it. And I have seen some fantastic replicas done of rhino and elephant.

My Choice would be a dehorned bull or one where the horn stayed behind and a reduced price be offered. Seems as if storing the real horn would be a major pain and I would worry about having it on display. So even on a real skin mount, I think there are many good reasons to utilize replica horns.

As for the hunt and actually killing of a rhino. Please consider the following; Most rhino, especially huntable white rhino populations are on privately held properties and someone owns that animal. And other than a very few exceptions (maybe only one), the population is likely to be about 40 or less head, likely a lot less. So the genetic base must be managed, not left to natural selection. Furthermore, these animals are valuable, but also very costly to maintain both from feed and security. And probably even health management. So funds must come from somewhere! And contrary to popular belief, there are way more white rhinos in South Africa at least than any photo Safari operation can support.

So what value and what liability does an old bull bring to a farm? With a limited population and area to roam, at some point there becomes a real risk of a bull breeding his own daughters. And it is widely understood that old rhino bulls can be cantankerous even if not really in condition to continue breeding. So simply bringing in another likely younger bull to take over breeding responsibilities is a large financial and herd security risk. The old bull will undoubtedly fight the new bull and one or both could be mortally wounded. Likewise cows and calves can become collateral damage to such fights.

So what is that farmer to do? There is likely no market for an over the hill breeding bull. The horn still has very limited to no legal value other than speculative... So using it to grow and harvest horn seems a bit futile. And there is that constant expense to deal with. And the risk of that animal being poached, or just dying.

The obvious solution is to sell the old bull to a hunter. Hopefully the property is large enough to make a decent hunt experience of it. And again, there is only so much demand for paying photo ops and it simply does not take a lot of males to cover the breeding of a lot of females. Just the way things are.

So go on a real hunt if you want to! I do believe rhino hunts are a bargain right now! And I do not believe there are any real impediments to importing a white rhino from South Africa.
Excellent way of putting the situation Bob!

I guess I'm not sure where I got the idea they couldnt be imported to the USA, but for some reason I was under the impression they weren't importable

I guess I'm not sure where I got the idea they couldnt be imported to the USA, but for some reason I was under the impression they weren't importable
Mike I think that's a common misconception. Horn cannot be bought or sold. But as part of a hunting trophy, no problem.

Depending upon which State you hunt in Africa, or Province or whatever.... There may be legal restrictions and/or requirements to get the hunting permit... such as Dangerous Game hunting and even general hunting experience. A small proficiency test with your rifle, minimum caliber and even ammo restrictions.

But I know of no restrictions on imports. Perhaps an Importer can weigh in.

Mike I think that's a common misconception. Horn cannot be bought or sold. But as part of a hunting trophy, no problem.

Depending upon which State you hunt in Africa, or Province or whatever.... There may be legal restrictions and/or requirements to get the hunting permit... such as Dangerous Game hunting and even general hunting experience. A small proficiency test with your rifle, minimum caliber and even ammo restrictions.

Well that's good news, I hadn't asked an importer yet since its not an immediate plan for me and forget where I got that idea/info that they couldnt be. Thanks for the info!

This is probably quite a few years down the road for my safari plans, but you never know. Thought it might be an interesting discussion to compare the different hunt options and their pros and cons to the conservation of the species and the hunter.

I originally had it in mind to do a dart hunt and replica mount one day. Personally, I very much enjoy taxidermy and have trouble with the thought of leaving an entire trophy animal and never having the real thing, despite the quality of the reproductions these days.

So you basically have dart, dehorned hunt, and trophy hunt. Obviously the cost seems to scale in that order as well and import/export/taxidermy considerations.

So for those hunters interested in pursuing rhino, which is your preference and why?

Outfitters, PHs, anyone with more intimate knowledge than I at how hunt costs are distributed, what are your thoughts? We all know hunting an animal is more humane and produces more money for conservation/anti-poaching/etc than it dying of old age so theres no doubt that the game farms trying to grow the number of rhino in SA have a place for hunting of them for those reasons. The "obvious" choice for the client seems to be the cheapest of darting and getting a reproduction mount if wanted (because theres no other choice with an animal leaving the experience alive vs having to leave one actually harvested due to silly import restrictions). But do rhinos and the operations that are sustaining, growing their numbers, and caring for them need more hunters willing to spend more to actually harvest one?

Look forward to hearing everyones take and learning more about conservation of the species
I decided two years ago that the dehorned rhino hunt was for me. The dart experience has been changed and you do NOT get to dart the rhino. Plus it is very expensive for what you get. Gold medal rhino was out of my price range so this is where I was. There is no doubt that rhino breeders need to sell bulls. How else can you make money? You can sell cows and hope for a day when you can sell horn but in the mean time what do you do with the excess bulls you’ve dehorned to keep the poachers out? You must hunt some of them.
I had a great hunt and an unforgettable experience and highly recommend it. Plus the prices are falling so shop around!
Philip

There are some spectacular replica mounts available today. Simply supply measurements and roughly 5000 to have your own. I have darted two bulls with real sedative not vitamin dart. I still keep measurements and plan one day to do a repo. It takes a hell of a large space that I don’t currently have. I personally don’t have much desire to kill rhinos, they seem to have enough problems. Plus a Sioux stalk with a one shot dart gun will cause more pucker factor than u can imagine. (Adrenaline). Cheers. Jacques
It is illegal for you to handle the actual narcotic used to sedate rhinos. Now you can only pretend to dart the rhino with a vitamin dart.

Just a normal cites permit is all. You get horn and all.

I decided two years ago that the dehorned rhino hunt was for me. The dart experience has been changed and you do NOT get to dart the rhino. Plus it is very expensive for what you get. Gold medal rhino was out of my price range so this is where I was. There is no doubt that rhino breeders need to sell bulls. How else can you make money? You can sell cows and hope for a day when you can sell horn but in the mean time what do you do with the excess bulls you’ve dehorned to keep the poachers out? You must hunt some of them.
I had a great hunt and an unforgettable experience and highly recommend it. Plus the prices are falling so shop around!
Philip
I appreciate you sharing Phillip, theres a good chance I end up making the same decision when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you