Rhino hunting info

not that I would ever hunt a Rhino , the cause is too close too my heart , but this is the only way I would even consider doing a Rhino hunt , were the funds generated will go back to the Parks.

The private reserves are all part of the conservation plan to.

Last edited:
Another option would be a "vita dart hunt" you 30yds from him and put a multi Vit in his rump an then HIDE!!

The vet comes in with a chopper and darts him. Then DNA can be taken , pregnancy testing etc.
Essentially you as a hunter will be involved in a conservation initiative.
Costs are $8500 roughly and you can get a replica mount and a cool experience with a live Rhino.
Regards
Dave
I've seen a couple of those hunts on shows on Outdoor Channel. I think I'd be almost as proud of such a hunt than I would be on a kill hunt. What a great way for hunters to give back and to help ensure the recovery of the species.

Where there are free range rhinos though keep in mind that the old bulls routinely kill half of the young bulls before they even reach maturity. That being the case where there are legal hunts for the old bulls past breeding age you are probably even doing more to ensure the survival and success of the species than with the dart hunts.

I'm checking on rates and availability with a couple of guys I know and I'll let you know what I find out.

Correct... I NEARLY took up a hunt on an old non reproducing male rhino, $35k in RSA, BUT my conscience got the better of me. I am busy arranging a green / vita dart hunt through TAM Safaris in Eastern Cape and will get a replica shoulder mount trophy made to complete my BIG 5!! Divorce and angry kids/ grandkids was just NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!! :)
Never feel bad about taking an old bull who's past his prime. You will be doing even more to ensure that future generations get to see them live in the field by doing so. The old bulls have a permanent bad attitude and kill around half of the young bulls before they even reach maturity as a result.

The private reserves are all part of the conservation plan to.
Indeed. The only hope for the Scimitar Horned Orxy returning to Africa is going to come from the offspring of SHO's imported to Texas decades ago. Some of the owners are working now on a program for restocking them in the wild.

Correct... I NEARLY took up a hunt on an old non reproducing male rhino, $35k in RSA, BUT my conscience got the better of me. I am busy arranging a green / vita dart hunt through TAM Safaris in Eastern Cape and will get a replica shoulder mount trophy made to complete my BIG 5!! Divorce and angry kids/ grandkids was just NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!! :)

My vita dart was with Tam, we made the shot at 12 yards!!! You can see the picture of the Rhino in my avatar. It is an experience you won't forget!!! I would highly recommend it!

BRILLIANT.... and thanks for the head's up! Will let you guys know and post pcs once done later this year.

Never feel bad about taking an old bull who's past his prime. You will be doing even more to ensure that future generations get to see them live in the field by doing so. The old bulls have a permanent bad attitude and kill around half of the young bulls before they even reach maturity as a result.
THAT was exactly my thoughts and idea at the time...... I also said that with the old bull culling, If I don't take one, someone else will!!!! When I think of 4.5 rhinos being poached for their horns PER DAY I just get a bad feeling.... maybe it will come right still??
Thabnks for the words of advice...

My vita dart was with Tam, we made the shot at 12 yards!!! You can see the picture of the Rhino in my avatar. It is an experience you won't forget!!! I would highly recommend it!
I don't care if he was hand fed and raised in a pen, I'm not so sure I'd be brave enough to stalk to within 12 yds of a bull Rhino!

I'm quite sure it was indeed the experience of a lifetime for you, it certainly would be for me.

Congrats.

THAT was exactly my thoughts and idea at the time...... I also said that with the old bull culling, If I don't take one, someone else will!!!! When I think of 4.5 rhinos being poached for their horns PER DAY I just get a bad feeling.... maybe it will come right still??
Thabnks for the words of advice...
It may, the problem with the poaching is simply the money.

A friend of mine had a 7yo (if I remember right) bull poached off of his place just before our hunt there and he was absolutely sick over it.

Mind you it wasn't even the loss of the value in terms of dollars that made him sick it was the waste and the way in which the poor animal suffered. He was horribly wounded, had both of his horns hacked off, but lived for several days before finally succumbing to his injuries.

Unfortunately there's only one way to deal with the poachers that will ever bring it to a stop which is to track them down and kill them. Where that is being done poaching is becoming very rare, where it is not it continues to thrive.

Fortunately the Chinese economy is suffering and that will dry up a lot of the money supply which is funding it.

Anti poaching patrols do need to be paid for. Selling an old bull for hunting is the most direct path to gathering up such funds. There is actually a fairly large population of white rhinos in private ownership in RSA. And current regulations make it very difficult for those owners to pay the costs associated with owning them, much less any profit. Dart hunts have become much more difficult. I have heard first hand of such owners reducing their populations because 1. They can't cover the costs of ownership. 2. Ownership of rhinos is very risky. 3. Both the above come together to make such ownership a loosing proposition.

Poaching really escalated when the international horn trade was stopped. My observations of the RSA game farming industry is that if those farmers were allowed some freedom of trade in all rhinos and their products, but especially the international horn trade. And no future import restrictions on hunting trophies. Within 20 to 30 years there would be more white rhinos in RSA than anyone would know what to do with them.

As it is now, it seems to be a large industry of "save the rhino". Huge amounts being donated/collected. Large amounts going into advertising for more funding, poaching cartels reaching into many levels, and piss poor results.

If you have the opportunity to hunt an old bull, go for it and be proud your doing more for the population than most anyone else.

HI @Texashunter30 ,

I would be leery of a free range rhino, its about as common as unicorn. With trade possibly opening in RSA for rhino horn prices are spiking. your best bet is a dart hunt or i still have some of the old bulls that had their horns removed available. if you are interested drop me a PM or email.

Anti poaching patrols do need to be paid for. Selling an old bull for hunting is the most direct path to gathering up such funds. There is actually a fairly large population of white rhinos in private ownership in RSA. And current regulations make it very difficult for those owners to pay the costs associated with owning them, much less any profit. Dart hunts have become much more difficult. I have heard first hand of such owners reducing their populations because 1. They can't cover the costs of ownership. 2. Ownership of rhinos is very risky. 3. Both the above come together to make such ownership a loosing proposition.

Poaching really escalated when the international horn trade was stopped. My observations of the RSA game farming industry is that if those farmers were allowed some freedom of trade in all rhinos and their products, but especially the international horn trade. And no future import restrictions on hunting trophies. Within 20 to 30 years there would be more white rhinos in RSA than anyone would know what to do with them.

As it is now, it seems to be a large industry of "save the rhino". Huge amounts being donated/collected. Large amounts going into advertising for more funding, poaching cartels reaching into many levels, and piss poor results.

If you have the opportunity to hunt an old bull, go for it and be proud your doing more for the population than most anyone else.
There is a lot of wisdom in this post and I've seen the same sentiments espoused by a lot of conservationists who are deeply committed to doing all they can to see the recovery and success of the species.

As long as there is huge money in poaching them there is little hope and the best way to reduce the financial incentive would indeed be to legalize the trade but as long as people are substituting emotional appeals for facts it's an uphill battle.

I was lucky enough to spend some time with some pretty serious conservation guys one weekend while I was there and I assure you we are not alone but it's going to be a long fight.

I was just told by 2 different outfitters 2200 to 2400 per inch on rhino as far as front horn goes. Is this close to accurate or even a normal way to price a rhino hunt?

Sounds just a tad high but I would think it woudl depend upon a few other factors... I would want to be assured of the proper venue first. And complete legality.

The other option is to shoot them through a camera..

I took these last year on a photo safari in Zimbabwe, at Matobo NP. We organised an on-foot Rhino trek and got within 10m of 2 white Rhinos. An amazing experience.

Zim Rhino 2.jpg

Zim Rhino 1.jpg

Vita dart is BS. You don't even get to dart the rhino now. Rhinos in RSA are privately owned and they should be able to dart them anyway they want. You hunters on here should know that hunting a rhino, as with all hunting, is the best thing you can do for the species. Shoot them to save them. It may be an old sawed horn bull but one day I'll hunt a rhino.
Regards,
Philip

Except that this is a hunting group!

Be that as it may, I know that many members on here, including myself enjoy seeing posts and pictures of live animals. I feel very sorry for you if you only view animals as targets to hunt. Or perhaps I have misunderstood your post?

Be that as it may, I know that many members on here, including myself enjoy seeing posts and pictures of live animals. I feel very sorry for you if you only view animals as targets to hunt. Or perhaps I have misunderstood your post?
It is just that right now, if you know what is going on in Africa, there is a huge debate on consumptive versus non consumptive. The Photo safari business is as sickening to me as hunting is to vegans. They drive around tame animals that are used to people and vehicles and call it wild Africa. And yes we all like photos to be posted of live animals thanks.
On the rhino issue people on here say they could never shoot one??? Really? It is only because PEOPLE ARE HUNTING RHINOS THAT THERE ARE 20,000 of them in RSA. Do you think that there are 20,000 rhinos to take pics of? They can't sell the horn legally so hunting IS THE ONLY REVENUE TO SUSTAIN THE 20,000 RHINOS IN RSA! If you love rhinos and can afford it go shoot one. It is the only thing you can do that will really make a difference.
I am sorry but this thread really made me mad.
Regards,
Philip

DSCN0824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg