Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
USA (Alaska, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia), South Africa
Does anyone know if South African Rhino Bullets are available in the U.S.? Their website does not seem to discuss international shipping or distribution.

http://rhinobullets.co.za/

Kobus has been looking for a US distributor for some time. There was a post on here not long ago about it as well. I suggested Midway, Sinclair and Brownells, but they apparently want amounts that exceed his ability. I ordcred and paid from the US and picked them up in Port Elizabeth. That is not a realistic process for most people.

Thank you. That was not the answer I was hoping for, but good to know the deal.

Kobus sold a substantial amount of bullets to Norma which he discusses on his website. I was hoping that they would market his component bullets. Time will tell if that happens.

Some time ago I looked for them as well. I contacted the BATF. As it turns out there is a form that you can fill out and import them. The quantity and caliber is of your choosing. The permit if approved is good for two years. My thought was that the freight / shipping costs would make them too expensive to use. A good option is either North Fork or Swift A Frames. I chose the A Frames since they are about half the price of the North Fork. Depending on velocity another choice is Woodleigh. There were some rather "lively" discussions over the use of certain Woodleigh Bullets above 2300 FPS or so. Below that they are a fine choice.

@tarbe was in contact with him and may shed some light on what we need to do to get an order shipped here.

I just sent Kobus an email with a link to this thread, and asked if he might be able to shed some light.

Tim

A word of caution here folks. While Kobus is willing to sell and ship Rhino bullets from South Africa you cannot legally receive them in the States. Importation requires approval of the B.A.T.F. E. providing you have completed their forms and it is approved. Having "jumped through their hoops" you can legally import the pre-approved quantity of the specified bullets and have 2 years to do so. I even thought of purchasing them in Africa and bring back a couple of hundred in my luggage. That too is illegal. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would not invite an unexpected visit from the B.A.T.F.E.

HAs anyone imported Rhino Solid shanks bullets from SA to USA? Is it worth the extra cost and hassle. I like to try them out in 470 NE but some feedback would be nice prior to ordering direct.

Ditto for Stewart bullets

Rhino QC is far from up to scratch. There can be a 4 gr difference in in a pack of 50 bullets. Also diameter varies from batch to batch.

The old Stewart bullets made by Ken were great. Ive hunted a lot with them in the 7x57 and 9,3x62. I have no idea how the tollerances are on the new Stewarts since Hansie Minnaar took over

When the Rhino bullets first began production several years ago, my best gun nut buddy here in Texas had some for his .375 HH and participated in some bullet testing on live critters up to the size of water buffalo. I shot North fork Cup Point solids. Both performed very well, but I stuck with NF and still do.
Maybe I am in a rut. Never kick a winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.