Rhino bullets

Jarrod Todd

AH member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with rhino bullets?
I would like to get these for my 375 h&h to use on buffalo in Australia. How does the penetrator compare to Barnes etc?
SolidShank_1849561c-959a-47ce-b5ba-a32c58f24d91_530x%402x.jpg
Penetrators_c57a6a22-3f2c-4970-bc87-a508585c5487_530x%402x.jpg

Has anyone had any experience with rhino bullets?
I would like to get these for my 375 h&h to use on buffalo in Australia. How does the penetrator compare to Barnes etc?
View attachment 176564View attachment 176565

The best premium expanding bullet ever made for large dangerous game. For your Australian Buffalo use the 350 gr(2300 fps) or even better 380 gr(2200 fps) solid shank core bonded bullets in your 375 H&H.

This is al I use on Cape Buffalo. For follow up on Cape Buffalo I only use the 570gr solid shank core bonded bullets in my 500 Jeff. I have stopped them with one well placed shot on more than one occasion.

On elephant I use the Rhino monometal solids with the Meplat front, I have not tried the penetrators, as the above mentioned two have exceeded all my expectations and needs in hunting DG.

@IvW ,

Are you a believer in heavy for caliber bullets, or is there something about the Rhino on general that makes the heavier bullet more effective?

Does anyone know if there is a distributor for these in the US? I heard about these on my last trip and I would like to give them a try.

The Rhino solid shank is a fantastic bullet as far as construction of the bullet , however I have experienced plenty quality issues as far as variance in weight per bullet in the same box.

As far as weight retention and construction goes they are great.

.......... I have experienced plenty quality issues as far as variance in weight per bullet in the same box. .......

o_O
What?

Are they made in China?

@IvW ,

Are you a believer in heavy for caliber bullets, or is there something about the Rhino on general that makes the heavier bullet more effective?

I am a believer in heavy for caliber bullets especially for DG.

This is how the bullets are described.

The Solid Shank
  • Specifically designed for hunting.
  • Made up of a copper jacket with lead core. The lead is bonded to the copper jacket and the bottom half of the bullet is solid copper.
  • Strategically designed to form four mushroom petals that produce a large but controlled wound channel.
  • This bullet deeply penetrations game whilst leaving a good wound channel behind therefore maximising kill efficiency.
I was fortunate enough to be a good friend of Mauritz Coetzee(unfortunately he has passed on) who together with Kobus of Rhino bullets developed the heavy for caliber 380 gr Rhino bullet. I managed to get my hands on some of the first ones and after using them I have never looked back. Best ever DG expander developed and that I have used.

It has a unique design in that the rear section is solid copper with the front section filled with lead which has been bonded to the copper. This gives it a weight forward design which ensures the bullets do not tumble or deflect so easily on impact. The thickness of the copper increases from front to back. This ensures reliable expansion even at lower velocities. They have been constructed to give large expansion(typically 2.5X caliber diameter), excellent penetration and exceptional weight retention. They typically open with 4 petals.

Some people prefer bullets to exit(even expanding bullets). In most cases Rhinos will be found just under the skin on the opposite side of the entry point. This is very desirable, especially for hunting Buffalo in herds. This also ensures that all the bullet energy is expelled within the animal.

I use Rhinos in just about all my rifles and I have only had good experiences with them. I hunt alot and have used them extensively on all manner of game including all of the DG species.

I use the solid shanks in:

55gr in 22Rem
170gr in 7 x 57mm and 7 x 65R
300gr in 9.3 x 74R
350gr and 380gr in 375 H&H(As well as 340gr Solid)
570gr in 500 JEFF(As well as 570gr Solid)

They have now also made a 600gr solid in .510 Caliber, I will be testing those for sure. The 570gr solid shoots through anything. I shot a white rhino, with this bullet, that was crashing in our direction(slightly quartering to our right) through some sekelbos, after client had shot it with a 375H&H. My shot entered the neck just inside his shoulder, penetrated right through the rhino(unintended pun) and exited just in front of the opposite hind leg bone.

I am very happy with their performance and don't see myself changing anytime soon.

They have a lot of info on the website regarding their bullets.

Where are they manufactured?

The Rhino solid shank is a fantastic bullet as far as construction of the bullet , however I have experienced plenty quality issues as far as variance in weight per bullet in the same box.

As far as weight retention and construction goes they are great.

I have heard such things. I also believe that this may have been resolved. If you have any further issues you should contact Kobus, he is very helpful.

To be honest, I use the heavy for caliber bullets. I have never weighed them. These are tough hunting bullets and they perform exceptionally well on the largest of game.

Norma have loaded batches of these bullets and they show exceptional accuracy. Check the website.

Personally I am not a accuracy freek, I load them shoot them over a chrony to get them close to the speed I want. I will then do a 3 shot grouping test, just to see if they shoot close enough to each other and that's it, I then go hunting with them. Generally if the first 2 shot go where I need them that has me covered. I have seen guys shooting at the range, shot after shot after shot trying to shoot small groups, the barrel gets so hot you cannot touch it. Not for me or the application I use them for anyway. They kill very well, every time.

For long range hunting there are better options in my opinion.

For the OP's application I would rate these as being perfect.

All my applications are shorter range and I have never had any accuracy issues.

7 x 57 small to medium game mostly out to 150 meters(Oops! I lied a little-have shot a Eland bull(Photo is somewhere on his web-site) as well as a wounded croc at 256 meters)
7 x 65R/12ga combo-my sons bushpig gun.
9.3 x 74R/12ga combo-my bushpig gun
375 H&H large PG and have used it on all DG
500 Jeff DG back-up

They are not target or long range bullets so to speak. However, in the heavy for caliber bullets you might be surprised at the accuracy you get.

The best premium expanding bullet ever made for large dangerous game. For your Australian Buffalo use the 350 gr(2300 fps) or even better 380 gr(2200 fps) solid shank core bonded bullets in your 375 H&H.

This is al I use on Cape Buffalo. For follow up on Cape Buffalo I only use the 570gr solid shank core bonded bullets in my 500 Jeff. I have stopped them with one well placed shot on more than one occasion.

On elephant I use the Rhino monometal solids with the Meplat front, I have not tried the penetrators, as the above mentioned two have exceeded all my expectations and needs in hunting DG.
Cheers . I'll take your advice on board and use the 350-380 grain solid shanks. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I am a believer in heavy for caliber bullets especially for DG.

This is how the bullets are described.

The Solid Shank
  • Specifically designed for hunting.
  • Made up of a copper jacket with lead core. The lead is bonded to the copper jacket and the bottom half of the bullet is solid copper.
  • Strategically designed to form four mushroom petals that produce a large but controlled wound channel.
  • This bullet deeply penetrations game whilst leaving a good wound channel behind therefore maximising kill efficiency.
I was fortunate enough to be a good friend of Mauritz Coetzee(unfortunately he has passed on) who together with Kobus of Rhino bullets developed the heavy for caliber 380 gr Rhino bullet. I managed to get my hands on some of the first ones and after using them I have never looked back. Best ever DG expander developed and that I have used.

It has a unique design in that the rear section is solid copper with the front section filled with lead which has been bonded to the copper. This gives it a weight forward design which ensures the bullets do not tumble or deflect so easily on impact. The thickness of the copper increases from front to back. This ensures reliable expansion even at lower velocities. They have been constructed to give large expansion(typically 2.5X caliber diameter), excellent penetration and exceptional weight retention. They typically open with 4 petals.

Some people prefer bullets to exit(even expanding bullets). In most cases Rhinos will be found just under the skin on the opposite side of the entry point. This is very desirable, especially for hunting Buffalo in herds. This also ensures that all the bullet energy is expelled within the animal.

I use Rhinos in just about all my rifles and I have only had good experiences with them. I hunt alot and have used them extensively on all manner of game including all of the DG species.

I use the solid shanks in:

55gr in 22Rem
170gr in 7 x 57mm and 7 x 65R
300gr in 9.3 x 74R
350gr and 380gr in 375 H&H(As well as 340gr Solid)
570gr in 500 JEFF(As well as 570gr Solid)

They have now also made a 600gr solid in .510 Caliber, I will be testing those for sure. The 570gr solid shoots through anything. I shot a white rhino, with this bullet, that was crashing in our direction(slightly quartering to our right) through some sekelbos, after client had shot it with a 375H&H. My shot entered the neck just inside his shoulder, penetrated right through the rhino(unintended pun) and exited just in front of the opposite hind leg bone.

I am very happy with their performance and don't see myself changing anytime soon.

They have a lot of info on the website regarding their bullets.
Thank you for your detailed reply. I found it very informative. I will definitely get my hands on these. They seem readily available in Australia and by all accounts, are a well constructed bullet.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I found it very informative. I will definitely get my hands on these. They seem readily available in Australia and by all accounts, are a well constructed bullet.

You are welcome.

I have seen their solid shank bullets work extremely well in 9.3 x 62 and 416 Rigby on Buffalo.

They make good solids also. So much so that they give full frontal penetration on Elephant from the 9.3 x 62

Never had any accuracy issues at ranges that these are hunted at and the solids in 9.3 x 62 were extremely accurate.

Another great South African big game bullet is the Dzombo monolithic solid.

Can you give any load data for those +300 gr Rhino bullets for 375 H&H

I brainshot an elephant with these (.375H&H, 300 grain brass monolithic solids..)...it penetrates like crazy...

A buddy tried to frontal brainshoot an ele with the same handloads I used, he hit a little low and hit him in the spine and anchored him..

20150327_092133_resized.jpg
20150327_092054_resized.jpg

It much to add that IvW has not already said except to say that it certainly does what it was designed to do ie expand without breaking up. Last week we took a Wildebeest with a 30-06 /180grn that was shot on the shoulder at about 50 m . It dropped dead ! That rarely happens. Bullet was recovered under the skin intact and perfectly mushroomed. I must say I was quite impressed. It seems as though I have been missing a trick all these years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg