Rewilding elephants from Kent to Kenya

PerH

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Mrs " ara" Johnson ,wife of PM Boris Johnson is behind this rewilding of elephants from a zoo or park in Kent to Kenya, how long will they survive before poachers get them, or the chinese ?

Isnt it going to be cheaper to move few 100 from Bots or Zim to Kenya and make more sense.

Isnt it going to be cheaper to move few 100 from Bots or Zim to Kenya and make more sense.
Different genetics, I imagine. Botswana's elephants are much bigger in the body and could introduce new diseases to a population that hasn't developed an immunity to said diseases. Who knows.

I guess my question is.. why Kenya?

If the intent is truly to let the animals flourish in their natural habitat and to remove them from a captive environment.. why would you send them somewhere that elephant populations havent been properly managed or cared for and have been in decline and/or stagnant for better than 40 years?

The elephant population in Kenya has decreased by 7.5% since 2007...

So send more elephants to a place where elephants arent doing great?

I guess my question is.. why Kenya?

If the intent is truly to let the animals flourish in their natural habitat and to remove them from a captive environment.. why would you send them somewhere that elephant populations havent been properly managed or cared for and have been in decline and/or stagnant for better than 40 years?

The elephant population in Kenya has decreased by 7.5% since 2007...

So send more elephants to a place where elephants arent doing great?

Meant to add to my previous post (timed out before I could edit)..

While Im no expert.. it seems that somewhere like Namibia, where the elephant population is growing (+43% since 2007) and there is still a lot of room left for more herds (only 23,000 elephants currently in Nam).. or Uganda, where elephants are prospering (increase in population of 14% since 2007.. but only 5000 total elephants in the country.. or even Malawi.. where there are only 1300 elephants, but the population has increased 157% since 2007 makes significantly better sense than Kenya, where the population is in decline, there are already 23,000 elephants in the country, and human encroachment on animal habitat in general, and elephant habitat specifically is getting worse at an alarming rate (24% increase in the human population in Kenya since 2007)..

Again.. Im no expert.. but this doesnt appear to be well thought out, or even what could potentially be in the elephants, or human best interests from what I can tell..

Meant to add to my previous post (timed out before I could edit)..

While Im no expert.. it seems that somewhere like Namibia, where the elephant population is growing (+43% since 2007) and there is still a lot of room left for more herds (only 23,000 elephants currently in Nam).. or Uganda, where elephants are prospering (increase in population of 14% since 2007.. but only 5000 total elephants in the country.. or even Malawi.. where there are only 1300 elephants, but the population has increased 157% since 2007 makes significantly better sense than Kenya, where the population is in decline, there are already 23,000 elephants in the country, and human encroachment on animal habitat in general, and elephant habitat specifically is getting worse at an alarming rate (24% increase in the human population in Kenya since 2007)..

Again.. Im no expert.. but this doesnt appear to be well thought out, or even what could potentially be in the elephants, or human best interests from what I can tell..
Interesting observation. This reintroduction of elephants into Kenya seems to be a last-ditch effort by the greens in an attempt to prove their non-consumptive policy of wildlife is better than the pro recreational hunting programs in Southern Africa. Of course, they could just admit that their policy hilariously failed but that's not going to happen. Kenya will forever be an example of failed Western progressive ideals in a country where cattle-herding is still seen by many as the primary source of income. You can't force your own foreign worldview on a third-world population and expect good results.

Maybe they figure they are helping to increase the ele population, all be it temporarily. Don't see how semi tame elephants can survive in the wild without some serious indoctrination. Will native eles even accept them or will they kill them off? Will the imports starve or die from eating the wrong forage? They have no fear of humans so may be easy targets for poachers.
Sounds like a pipe dream with no thought to practicality, mostly political.

I don't think it will fly. No pun intended.

1625698097211.png

Far too practical to be done, BUT why not butcher them and feed to poor in England?

I don't think it will fly. No pun intended.
Dumbo managed to fly maybe these guys can too. Hey if it happened in a Disney movie it must be true right?? Kinda like in the Lion King where a lion and a warthog are best buds?? Im sure I have seen a lion eating a warthog though?!! Im too confused now

This is great! Let's see what these dipstix can do. Not a single ele will last 18 months.............FWB

Woah now sense has nothing to do with this. This is for publicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.