AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Private club on friend's land in Augusta County, Virginia
Hunted
USA (Colorado, Alabama, Virginia)
Hello all. The name is Tom, and I'm in Virginia. I was a member back around 2010 when I first became interested in plains game hunting in Africa. Did a lot of research, got to know more on the subject, but a couple years later bought a new home, and well, you know the rest. Costs, work, etc., necessitated I place my interest on hold. Now I'm back and looking to pick up where I left off. I am just looking to refresh my memory of this site and learn what may have changed in the interim.

One quick question for anyone with knowledge and who cares to answer. From what I gather, some outfitters are land owners who have whole facilities on their property and hunt their own lands, while others are for hire professional hunting guides who do not own land, but rely on agreements (concessions) with others who do for access. Is this correct?

Welcome back, ILCAPO. I'm sure someone will have an opinion/information for you soon.

Hello all. The name is Tom, and I'm in Virginia. I was a member back around 2010 when I first became interested in plains game hunting in Africa. Did a lot of research, got to know more on the subject, but a couple years later bought a new home, and well, you know the rest. Costs, work, etc., necessitated I place my interest on hold. Now I'm back and looking to pick up where I left off. I am just looking to refresh my memory of this site and learn what may have changed in the interim.

One quick question for anyone with knowledge and who cares to answer. From what I gather, some outfitters are land owners who have whole facilities on their property and hunt their own lands, while others are for hire professional hunting guides who do not own land, but rely on agreements (concessions) with others who do for access. Is this correct?
Welcome back @ILCAPO.

The answer to your question will depend in great part on which country you're talking about. They all differ in some way. And many will argue over the definition of agents, outfitters and PHs, in varying circumstances. But assuming you're talking about Namibia or South Africa, the answer is yes, you are - generally - correct, but those are not the only two options. Some outfitters have their own property, and some of those will also use others' properties either for certain species or to supplement their own. Some will have no land at all and just have the right to hunt on the properties of others, either exclusively or not. Some landowners have no desire to be outfitters and are happy to let others (outfitters or just PH's), carefully selected or otherwise, hunt on their land. Some outfitters are also PH's, some have full-time PHs on staff, while others hire PH's as they need them.

In many countries the landowner will often be the state, and the outfitter will have an exclusive (or not) concession to hunt on particular lands.

To complicate matters more, some outfitters are agents, while some are not and are simply outfitters. Some PH's act as outfitters, and some are even agents, while some (most?) are simply PH's.

Not sure any of this is of any help, so I'd suggest you let us know what you're getting at with the question, and it may be easier to give you a more helpful answer.

Welcome back!

Giday and welcome back Tom

Welcome back to AH! In light of my signature and Hank’s post above, let me clarify I’m not an agent, outfitter or PH. I just help Jacques @JKO Hunting Safaris with various things. If I can be of help with any questions regarding JKO, please let me know. Regardless, again welcome back!

Welcome back Tom!

Tom, glad you returned! In general you are correct. Hank2211 of course did the “Who’s on first” routine, but really can be confusing. I’m not sure where you’re wanting to go from there? Are you just wanting free range animals, good trophies, walk and stalk, drive and stalk, etc? Lots of options for just about what ever you’re looking for.
Best of luck figuring it out!

Happy to have you back. "Life" always seems to get in the way of our first African hunt. Hopefully now some of those things have been resolved and you can start planning your first Safari. What countries, outfitters and species of animals are you thinking about?

Welcome back. Start a plan and saving what $ you can. Before long you will be heading to Africa. I took my first trip 11 years ago. Then job changes and health concerns stepped in. Now that all is back to normal, I am now going twice within 7 months! You will see some great deals on here, and the majority of the membership will reach out and assist in any way you need. Make a plan and have at it.

Welcome back to your planning stage.

Lets clarify something first. (RSA, Namibia, )
Outfitters are the guys arranging hunts with an actual Outfitters License. (Legally allowed to arrange hunts)
PH's are the guys conducting the actual hunts. (Wondering around with the hunter)
You may encounter people that have both licenses/permits.

True, some landowners are Outfitters and PH's and have entire facilities.

All Outfitters will have "concessions"; property access and hunting rights agreements in writing. Even the guys just visiting the neighbours property. You will not be able to hunt all available species on one property.

Hi Tom, welcome back !

Great. That makes sense. My interest is in conducting both a vacation safari with the wife, such as at a national park like Kruger, to see the requisite elephants, rhinos, giraffes, etc. But to also combine that with a hunt for me. My wife would not take part, so I'm looking for a company with their own facilities where the wife could relax, such as by a swimming pool. And if they had guided trips somewhere for non-hunters, that would be nice.

Welcome back sir!

Happy to have you back. "Life" always seems to get in the way of our first African hunt. Hopefully now some of those things have been resolved and you can start planning your first Safari. What countries, outfitters and species of animals are you thinking about?

Actually, seeking more knowledge just on other people's experiences to help make a decision. But the gist is a vacation for my wife and I, which would include a safari somewhere like Kruger National Park, tied with a hunt. Different things, but would have to organize this all on one trip. Would like to do at least three or four days hunting, although the wife would seek other interests. So, seeking a place to stay while conducting days hunts but always returning to the lodge. A lodge with a pool, and perhaps, depending on the location, other options for the wife.

As for species of animals. I am not rich, so can't go after some of the more exotic animals like the Roans, and I'm not out to break any trophy records. Just would like good representatives of a few of the more well-known animal species. Those I'm thinking of include Springbok (common), Impala, Blesbok, Gemsbok, Wildebeest (black or blue), and Kudu. Not necessarily all of them (Trophy fees would add up quickly), but those are examples. And if Warthogs are fun to hunt, then perhaps one of those.

Thinking of this as a kind of "bucket list" trip.

Welcome back. Start a plan and saving what $ you can. Before long you will be heading to Africa. I took my first trip 11 years ago. Then job changes and health concerns stepped in. Now that all is back to normal, I am now going twice within 7 months! You will see some great deals on here, and the majority of the membership will reach out and assist in any way you need. Make a plan and have at it.

Thanks.

Welcome back Tom, do enough research and the right hunt will pop up for you that fits your needs.

Welcome back, I remember when you were here before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg