Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
As an anniversary gift to each other, my wife and I ordered a matching set of custom knives by Rodney Watts of Hot Springs, SD. I got the "Big Ole Fighter" and my wife got the slightly smaller "Yendor Fighter." Both knives feature stunning mammoth tooth handles and some exceptional engraving on the bolsters and pins. We also had custom sheaths made.

1.jpg

We were on a pretty tight timeline to get these knives made prior to our anniversary, with the added challenge of shipping to a military APO address over here in Korea. Rodney went above and beyond completing them quickly and coordinating with the engraver and sheath maker. The knives arrived with a couple days to spare and my wife and I couldn't be more happy.

Thank you to Rodney for making our anniversary a special one!

Data:

Knife Maker: Rodney Watts, wattscustomknives.com
Engraver: Bruce Christensen

Models: Big Ole Fighter, Yendor Fighter
Blades: ATS-34 stainless steel
Bolsters: 416 stainless steel, hand engraved
Handles: Mammoth Tooth
File Patterns: Roman Knot, Vine and Thorn

Rodney sent me regular updates, showing the knives as they progressed through the crafting process. First, I chose the mammoth tooth handles for each knife. We decided on a set of wine-colored ones, with deep reds and oranges. The pictures really don't do the mammoth tooth justice- there's so much depth and character to each tooth segment that I really wasn't able to appreciate until I saw them in person.

2.JPG

Here are the blades, early on in the process.

3.JPG

Rodney has earned some fame for his filing work. He's been recognized with the "Best New Maker" award at the 2011 Blade Show. Filing work is very time consuming- all done by hand. On my knife, I have a classic Roman Knot pattern. My wife has Rodney's own Vine and Thorn pattern- notice how it tapers off towards the end of the handle. Here are photos of the filing work in progress.

4.JPG

This was the last photo I received before picking up the finished products. After this, we waited in great anticipation for a couple of weeks while the engraving and sheaths were completed.

5.JPG

Here are the completed knives- exceeding our every expectation. Notice the filing work on each blade.

6.jpg

7.jpg

Here are some close-ups of the mammoth tooth and engraving work. If you look closely, you can see the engraving on the pins.

Big Ole Fighter:

8.jpg

Yendor Fighter:

9.jpg

These are the sheaths. I saw a photo on the internet of a sheath designed for a sideways draw and really like the idea. Rodney sent the photo to the sheath maker and he made it happen!

10.jpg

Here you can see how the sheath nicely conceals the knife under my uniform:

11.png

And a final look:

12.jpg

Very nice knives- Since you are in Korea, I hope you don't actually need to use them, but if you do, I'm sure they will perform their duties in admirable fashion.

As an anniversary gift to each other, my wife and I ordered a matching set of custom knives by Rodney Watts of Hot Springs, SD. I got the "Big Ole Fighter" and my wife got the slightly smaller "Yendor Fighter." Both knives feature stunning mammoth tooth handles and some exceptional engraving on the bolsters and pins. We also had custom sheaths made.

View attachment 184255

We were on a pretty tight timeline to get these knives made prior to our anniversary, with the added challenge of shipping to a military APO address over here in Korea. Rodney went above and beyond completing them quickly and coordinating with the engraver and sheath maker. The knives arrived with a couple days to spare and my wife and I couldn't be more happy.

Thank you to Rodney for making our anniversary a special one!

Data:

Knife Maker: Rodney Watts, wattscustomknives.com
Engraver: Bruce Christensen

Models: Big Ole Fighter, Yendor Fighter
Blades: ATS-34 stainless steel
Bolsters: 416 stainless steel, hand engraved
Handles: Mammoth Tooth
File Patterns: Roman Knot, Vine and Thorn

Rodney sent me regular updates, showing the knives as they progressed through the crafting process. First, I chose the mammoth tooth handles for each knife. We decided on a set of wine-colored ones, with deep reds and oranges. The pictures really don't do the mammoth tooth justice- there's so much depth and character to each tooth segment that I really wasn't able to appreciate until I saw them in person.

View attachment 184256

Here are the blades, early on in the process.

View attachment 184257

Rodney has earned some fame for his filing work. He's been recognized with the "Best New Maker" award at the 2011 Blade Show. Filing work is very time consuming- all done by hand. On my knife, I have a classic Roman Knot pattern. My wife has Rodney's own Vine and Thorn pattern- notice how it tapers off towards the end of the handle. Here are photos of the filing work in progress.

View attachment 184258

This was the last photo I received before picking up the finished products. After this, we waited in great anticipation for a couple of weeks while the engraving and sheaths were completed.

View attachment 184259

These knives look absolutely great. I'm sure they have that certain quality feel too.

Superb! I love the craftsmanship displayed there, and a very nice gift to each other.

Very nice!

Very nice work. Happy Anniversary.

Congrats, for the anniversary, and the knives !

Thank you for your service and may you only need those knifes to open MRE's.

Lovely. I use similar sheaths but wear them weak side. Never a problem in a vehicle. Congrats to you both!

Stunning workmanship. Really like that design.
Markcz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you