Return trip how is the end of May into first week of June?

Ron Bushnell

Reaction score
Media
i have just completed my first trip to Africa and am planning the second . How is the end of May into first week of June ? We went this year at end of July into first week of august. Weather was phenomenal but windy!!! I am an archery hunter. I will but hunting around the Kimberley area in South Africa.

Got the fever lol! As we all do (y)

The end of May will be pleasant for sure! What are you after next time?

I have hunted end of May, June, end of July, early August and early September. But all in Limpopo east and west and the North West. In every season I have experienced a bit of wind and sprinkles, but not more than 2 days on and off.
The biggest disadvantage in May and early June is all the leaves are still on the bushes and trees. If you hunt from a blind over a water hole, it’s not much of an issue.

I like the shoulder seasons!

And the addiction has taken another victim!:ROFLMAO:

I've bowhunted in SA June, July, Aug. Sept and Oct. and have had good hunts in all months , but Sept. and Oct. are my favorites, the bush is drier and the feed scarcer , action at water holes and feed is heavy if the properties have not been over hunted.

Got the fever lol! As we all do (y)

The end of May will be pleasant for sure! What are you after next time?

Yep he has it!

i have just completed my first trip to Africa and am planning the second . How is the end of May into first week of June ? We went this year at end of July into first week of august. Weather was phenomenal but windy!!! I am an archery hunter. I will but hunting around the Kimberley area in South Africa.

I was in the same area, about 55km west of Kimberly mid-June this year. Crisp mornings (29-35F), warm afternoons (65-75F) that cooled right down again as the sun set. Cloudless each day. Wind was generally not a factor until close to sunset (after 5pm) , when it picked up to maybe 10mph with higher gusts. The Northern Cape has had a severe drought. If this continues, by next winter (June - August 2020) most game will be highly concentrated among whatever sources of water, browse and grazing remain.

Good luck!

Kudu in the rut. Do it.

Whatever dates you decided on make sure its close or on new moon phase.
For Bowhunts later in the year is always beter when its drier and animals frequent waterholes more often.

Hello Ron,

For bow hunting I would rather suggest later in September, it also depends on which kind of area you hunt. If it is bow hunting only any time of the year will be good as animals will frequent watering holes daily if the area has mineral and salt licks at the hides.

My experience if it is a rifle and bow hunting area I would suggest go after the August winds in September towards October.

Enjoy planning your next safari sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg