yarettlopez

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
MEXICO, SOUTH AFRICA
I am restoring a winchester M70 post 64 in .458 wm. I send it to full re-bluing and now I will continue with the wood, but before doing a refinish I would like to know if there is any oil to bring the stock back to life or if it is necessary to redo everything, thanks for your help.

incollage_save.jpg
incollage_save.jpg
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7930.JPG

Reactions: 503
I've done several stocks by light sanding and several coats of boiled linseed oil. It will keep it looking dark the way it is now but it's a good finish.

I'm sure there are better woodworkers On here than me that will have good input as well.

Cheers

From what i can see, the grain on your stock is pretty rough. So if you want a high class finish, you need to remove the finish thats on there and fill the grain and refinish. That said a coat of oil will make it look better.

I have refinished several stocks and it is worth the work.

I refinished my Browning a bolt using french red stain and Linspeed oil, and I have been happy with the finish. Definitely have to completely strip the old finish first to get good results. I used citristrip.
61gbqdcz0uL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg
513652.jpg
IMG_20221214_175805.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross