Restaurants in Joberg Airport?

Fatback

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I will be traveling through Joberg later this month on my way to Namibia. I’ll be overnighting there. It’s been since 2013 that I’ve been. Just wanted to see what people who have been recently would recommend for getting something to eat before checking into the hotel for the night? Thanks

I found out the hard way that there is not much selection once you get thru security. There is places to eat on baggage side but never really looked since i thought I could eat after security.

Last edited by a moderator:
This last trip we stopped and ate at craft brewers - before security. The staff wanted to take our baggage and check it while we went to eat but that was a no-go as we had a rifles with us. We left all our stuff on a cart and sat at one of the tables just outside their restaurant. Food was ok, nothing special.

Once you have come through customs make your way to the "food court" area , there are quite a few places one can eat as long as you are not too late . I am sure you will find something to suit your palate . My suggestion in the airport would be the "Spur" steakhouse .

I ate at some bistro type dining area, it was ok. If you’re hungry and don’t want to leave the property there are places to eat that will do the job.

Depending on which hotel near the airport you stay at there are some good restaurants . If you are overnighting at one of the hotels at Emperors Palace there are some decent eating places in their food court .

I ate at safari, at guateng… nice outdoor, lots of birds and gardening. Amazing!

Quills in the intercontinental is a first class restaurant with an exceptional wine cellar.

This past May I checked in at the airport, then I went and ate at what is called the Soaring Eagle Spur restaurant and had a great steak. I highly recommend it. Restaurants after security are terrible, have no AC, in fact the entire airport is not what it once was. I'll be eating at this same restaurant later this month when I am back in SA.

I made the mistake of going through security before finding a place to eat. There were restaurants but they were packed to the gills with lines forming.

I will be traveling through Joberg later this month on my way to Namibia. I’ll be overnighting there. It’s been since 2013 that I’ve been. Just wanted to see what people who have been recently would recommend for getting something to eat before checking into the hotel for the night? Thanks
Honestly we stayed at the City Lodge and the restaurant there and it was the best place we ate.

The Soaring Eagle Spur in the airport had good burgers. We did not try a steak.

The Ocean Basket fish place in the airport was pretty good. I would eat there again but probably won't because if I was only eating one meal in the airport it would be the Spur.

As stated above Quills at Intercontinental is excellent. Not sure if it’s reopened yet, but if so Nando’s has excellent peri peri chicken. I could eat Nando’s everyday, others maybe not.

Once you're through security, the options are a bit limited. Jacksons is probably the best - most of the places are very busy in the evenings so allow yourself some time if the meal is important to you.

As has been mentioned, far more options pre-security.

The places in the food court are mostly chains and fast food, not the best by local standards but certainly better than a lot of other places.
Ocean Basket and Spur are certainly budget to low end.

I just go to the Airport Brewers , Mid market stuff. Good beer.

Like any busy airport, once through security, "you pays you money and you takes you chances" in the food court and lines. Eaten there many times at different places. Most not bad at all and many better than average of other Intl or US airports. The worst airport food situations I've found are in certain US airports where most establishments shut down in off hours even though the airport is 24-7 with flights coming and going- I guess it's the business model of "no choice, fat, lazy". If staying at City Lodge, no issue with good restaurant unless your flight leaves early, before their breakfast opens.

The best places for a meal close to the airport are:
Quills
The Library Lounge
Tribes African Grill & Steakhouse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you