Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
LIFE NRA SCI
Hunted
USA CANADA
Hello AHers

I am in the planning phase of my first safari and was hoping to get some suggestions on what other hunters would suggest to a neophyte like myself.

I understand "The perfect shot" is good.I also need a book describing the various species.Something covering description,traits judging size ect.

Looking for both the mechanics and the romance of Safari.

Whats your favorite?

Best Regards,
Shoedog

You probably ought to read "Horn of the Hunter" by Ruark. Just plain classic safari book.

Tim

http://www.africahunting.com/reviews-hunting-books-hunting-videos-dvds/1375-literature-game-animals.html

http://www.africahunting.com/reviews-hunting-books-hunting-videos-dvds/2051-good-books.html

http://www.africahunting.com/reviews-hunting-books-hunting-videos-dvds/8553-any-good-non-fiction-books-about-african-safari-hunts-etc.html

A few suggestions:

ROWLAND WARDæ‹… SPORTMANS HANDBOOK .Rowland Ward

THE BEHAVIOR GUIDE TO AFRICAN MAMMALS by Richard Estes.

Hunting Africa a Practical Guide by Swan, Botes & Smit

Mammals of South Africa (Burger CilIiers).

Roberts Birds of Southern Africa (Maclean).

Field Guide to Snakes and other Reptiles (Bill Branch).

A Field Guide to the Trees of Southern Africa. (P van Wyk)

A Field Guide to the Animal Tracks of South Africa (L Liebenberg).

Brick has some good booked listed there I would also recommend for the planning safari guide two. African hunter two. And SCI record books of trophy animals I use all three for finding out a little about the country and where the animals home range is it also gives a good idea what is considered a good trophy and where they came from all good for narrowing down when and where you want to go.

You probably ought to read "Horn of the Hunter" by Ruark. Just plain classic safari book.

Tim

Bingo!!!

Read it, and if you don't get excited, cancel your trip, because you shouldn't go. I would also suggest Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass" from the classics.

I'm a Boddington fan, too. Both "Buffalo" and "The African Experience" were good.

shoedog i wouldnt try and read too many "fact" books and overload your head as your senses will be going bananas from the beginning of your first hunt day. one good compact reference book before hand , and maybe you will remember to look at it in the bush but i doubt it.......later maybe. i collect older hunting books so just a few names older and more recent are lyell, hunter, burger, georgio grasselli, selous, dyer,foran, sanchez-arino,taylor etc (i have lot older books but more hunting exploring in 1800s very interesting but prob not in the realms of what you are looking for).....check Books-Safari Press if you like reading you will become addicted to the african books as well as the countries themselves :)

shoedog i wouldnt try and read too many "fact" books and overload your head as your senses will be going bananas from the beginning of your first hunt day. one good compact reference book before hand , and maybe you will remember to look at it in the bush but i doubt it.......later maybe. i collect older hunting books so just a few names older and more recent are lyell, hunter, burger, georgio grasselli, selous, dyer,foran, sanchez-arino,taylor etc (i have lot older books but more hunting exploring in 1800s very interesting but prob not in the realms of what you are looking for).....check Books-Safari Press if you like reading you will become addicted to the african books as well as the countries themselves :)

+1, I m also a fan of older hunting books and a good customer of Safari Press.

Romance of safari?

The Green Hills of Africa.

Hemingway at his best. Not terribly practical, but can't be beat for atmosphere. Probably responsible for more hunters going to Africa than any other book?

Since I began planning my first safari a couple of years ago, I have become a premier customer of Safari Press. Brickburn gave you some good recommendations but, for me, I wanted to read the classic, romantic tales of african safaris. In my view Green hills of Africa and Horn of the Hunter (Hemingway and ruark, respectively) are mandatory. Capsticks' books are classics, too.

Ditto the above. 'Green Hills' is one of my favs, 'Horn of the Hunter' I read about every 3 years. Boddington is one of our best current writers on Africa and for sheer excitment and all manner of dangerous game stories, you cannot beat Capstick. The old classics are great fun but not relevant to most of todays safari hunting. The original African Hunter by Jay Mellon is still one of the very best books to have and one of my most cherished being a 1st ed. hardback. Safari Press reprinted it in soft cover I believe.

Thanks for the suggestions.I have ordered a bunch of books and now just have to wait for the UPS man.Safari press has a really nice selection.
I have read most of the Hemmingway books but for some reason never read Green Hills.
When I get done with these I might read some of the older stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey75K951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross