Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
To the taxidermists out there. I have a bushbuck flat skin that is backed with black leather cowhide. Due to changes, I no longer have space to hang it on the wall. I'm considering having a chair (from my mom's parents) re-upholstered using some Cape buffalo hide and the bushbuck.

What issues might I run into in separating the bushbuck flat skin from the leather backing if any? What other considerations should I have as I talk to upholsterers in my area? I've had the bushbuck draped on the chair and have been using the chair. The hair is comfortable and doesn't seem to be wearing thin anywhere.

The photo attached is of the flat skin draped on the chair I plan to re-upholster.

Thanks,

John
IMG_0662.jpg

The biggest concern will be HOW it is attached to the cowhide. Is it glued? sewed? and how will that affect the bushbuck hide in removing. The condition of the actual bushbuck leather will be the determining factor of course. Is it a good tan? Is it old? Will it tear? etc

Shot in 2011 and the hide is in very good condition today. Seems like it might be glued. I can pull the bushbuck hide away from the leather backing if I want to. Maybe I'll see if the upholsterer could leave the backing on it and incorporate it into the solution.

I would just leave the backing on and work with it the way it is. If you go to pulling glued hide apart the softer side will tear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg