Reproduction Lioness Skull

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a lioness hunt booked and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on reproduction skulls since you can not bring any part of the lion back into the US at present.

Reactions: BWH
Following this thread. Are you referring to the mass produced replicas or a taxidermist in Africa actually making a mold?

I hear the sabertooth cat replicas are very very good. I assume the replicas from a Mckenzie type company are good quality. Im not sure what type of finishing is needed

A great pity you can't bring anything back to the US from your Lioness hunt but memorys & hopefully your own hide .

I sort of collect skulls & kick myself now days as I can't move real skulls around from exotic Cats, Primates & Bears, when I was in Indonesia I had a real Tiger & Huge Clouded Leopard skulls in my hands & didn't bring them home.

I see some fantastic Reproduction skulls & was looking hard at a Clouded Leopard skull, I haven't seen a Lioness skull mostly they reproduce large males, might be one about how ever, I suggest getting the best quality skull you can afford as some are very cheaply made.

Different story if getting a taxidermist to make one up, they would need to be most talented & it would be very expensive I would say, my one here in NZ is making me a huge set of Giant Forest Hog Tusks to fit a skull he got me from a mount he did, one of my favorite skulls !

I was thinking or wondering rather about a taxidermist doing a replica of the actual lioness skull that I shoot if that is possible and some what within financial reason. I think it is beyond ridiculous that lions are banned from import when legally hunted .

Just another idea- In looking online, there are casts of lion footprints such as what I have attached.

This gave me the idea: cast your own lion's footprint and bring that home. We do it for our deceased dogs (in various quality). This way you get an actual piece of your cat...sort of.
ByvWe-OrOse-PbvqL-Lion_Footprint_Cast_Replica_Models.jpg

First let me say this is pure speculation and I haven't sufficient experience in the technology, but I do think it's doable.

Given the current US Government, its unlikely the import ban will be removed anytime soon. So an alternative is needed. Buying a generic reproduction lion skull may look good but really doesn't tick the box as a reminder of your hunt.

In recent years two related technologies have come a long way, both in accuracy and affordability. Those technologies are 3D laser scanning and 3D printing. Maybe this opens up a niche business opportunity. What would be required would be facilities in Africa where you could have the skull, from your lion, scanned. The data file could then be sent to your home country where you could have it 3D printed and finished off by someone with the right combination of tech skills and artistic talent. It may not be actual skull, but it would be the most meaningful reminder of your lion hunt.

Thanks for all the great ideas . Please keep them coming. The laser scan and 3D printing sounds like it would be the best alternative if something like that would be available .

Another footprint option (and frankly easier and better) is to buy a large ink pad and fingerprint the paw on various materials - africa shaped wood plaque, round or square wood, designer paper, etc. You could have shutterfly make a picture of yourself on wood or metal and then glue the square wood print directly on your posed picture. Lots and lots of things you could do.

And you can practice with your dog

Last edited:
I don't know about a taxidermist casting the skull, but anything is possible.

Replica skulls are quite good and pretty affordable these days.

I bought one from Restoration Hardware of all places, coated in bronze.
20210325_145635.jpg

Several places will make aluminum castings from footprints. Usually done with elephant, but I will be getting a rhino print cast made this next trip. I suppose any footprint can be used.

I have a lioness hunt booked and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on reproduction skulls since you can not bring any part of the lion back into the US at present.
Good morning Sir

I hope this message finds you well.
From a professional's point of view, this is a very easy task to perform.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send us a message.
Here are some images of full body Replicas that we have completed.

Caracal Skeleton.jpeg.jpg
Jackal Skeleton.jpg
Zebra Skeleton.jpeg.jpg

Attachments

• Baboon Skeleton.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you guys are clever Eh !

That looks like great work, I have a DCA Hippo Skull & a couple DCA Leopards to (one was huge) , I can't take out of the country, can you make a copy of them to ?

Thank you for posting .

Ok you guys are clever Eh !

That looks like great work, I have a DCA Hippo Skull I can't take out, can you make a copy of that to ?

Thank you for posting .
Good morning Sir

That shouldn't be an issue. If you wouldn't mind sending me a private message with your email address and I will get one of our admirative staff to get in touch to see how we can assist you.

Kind regards.

Guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you